Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Bonding

Hi, well Maria seems to be at the end of another growth spurt, for the last 4 days she has been feeding every 3 hours day and night, but last night she slept for 5.5hours straight which was great for me.

Welshgirl - are you feeling any better? I was told the same as you for Maria, ie after she turns 1 they won't take any allowances for being a premmie. Don't worry too much about the rolling and crawling at least you can do things around the house and know you baby is on the mat where you left her.

Hi Kitten - glad Maria is sleeping a little longer for you now. It makes such a difference! \/

Hi Girls,

It's great to hear how well everyone's bubs are doing. It's interesting to hear what you have been told, Gwen and Louise, about not having allowances made for your bubs being premmie after they turn one. I hadn't heard that. I did read somewhere that most prem babies will have caught up to their peers by the time they turn 4, although a lot will do so earlier, even by 12-15 months.

I do understand your concerns though, Gwen, about reaching milestones. I worry about stuff like that sometimes too. It's hard seeing other bubs who are the same age or younger doing things that your bub isn't. I think Josh is doing well for his corrected age so far though. I take him to a prem playgroup once a month where we meet with physiotherapists, occupational and speech therapists and they check all the bubs over to see how they are going. At the last one, the physio told me a few things that Josh should be doing by the next playgroup (which is in a couple of weeks time) and he is doing them all, so that is a relief.

Everything else is going well. Josh is getting into a bit more of a routine now which is good. He generally only wakes for one feed during the night too which means a little bit more sleep for us! He is noticing his surroundings a lot more now and is more interactive. I love it!

Michelle, it sounds like Alex is doing really well. (And Kimberley too). How has he been going with all his milestones, etc?

Tiff, still thinking of you! I hope everything is going ok!

Kirsty, How are you and bubs doing? Did you end up hearing anything back from the other mods re a general chatter thread in here? Sorry, I don't mean to be pushy, was just wondering!

Just an update to the above post...I'm a bit excited because Josh started rolling today! From his back onto his side. I think he was really proud of himself too, because once he realised he could do it, he kept doing it - from his back to his side to his back and so on...It was so cute!

Oh Becc, that is so fab!! You must be so proud.

Seren doesn't roll over yet!! aargh!! 8-[

Becc ~ Alex is a little behind with his milestones. He sat on his own around 7 months but not properly until 7.5months. He had rolled a couple of times before 7months but he has only just strated to roll a bit more in the last few days. He loves to stand and he can crawl backwards and in cirlces he is really trying to go forwards and i think he will get there soon.

I'm so pleased to hear Josh is doing so well.

Michelle - How heavy was Alex born?

tiggy Guest

hi girls, just thought i'd pop in.

We are all doing ok busy and hectic. Noah refuses the breast now point blank, just arches his back and screams. Ivy is a good feeder though.
    It hurts a bit but can't worry about it too much. Noah is 3kgs now, Ivy is 2.6kgs

I'm typing one handed with two babies in the hug a bub waiting to be bathed, just have to tuck the others in a we'll be right.

Did you all have to keep up with the vitamins and iron when you went home?

miss you all, will catch up soon

Gwen ~ Alex was 5lb 14oz or 2.660kilos when he was born. He was a pound and 1oz bigger than Kimberley.

Tiff ~ The twins are doing so well.

Hi Girls, I hope everyone is well. O

Gwen, how are you going with the blood pressure medication? Is it still making you tired? Is it helping your BP? How is Seren doing? I don't think I have said before, I love her name. It's lovely. Do you know what it means?

Michelle, I would love to see Alex crawling around backwards! How cute! I bet it won't be long until he is going forwards.

Tiff, it is great to hear from you. I think of you all the time and wonder how you are all doing. I can appreciate that you must be run off your feet! I wish I lived closer and could help you out with stuff. Re the vitamins...Josh was given Pentavite in hospital and they told us to keep it up when he came home until he was about 3 months old.

We are all good here. I think Josh is getting closer to sleeping through the night - yay! He slept from 10pm until 6am on Monday night. The last couple of nights he has woken once but has just had a quick feed and then gone back to sleep, so fingers crossed!

Love

tiggy Guest

Hey Becc,

YAY that josh is almost sleeping through!!
    We have had the most hectic weekend.
    My Dad is dying. They have given him a week to live and so we just dropped everything and went to the hospital. The twins were so out of wack. They didn't sleep at all on the first night in Sydney so we came home last night. If my Dad goes downhill more, I will just have to drop everything and run.
    Last night I put thickener in Noah's EBM. He drank 140mls, as opposed to 60ml and he slaept for 5 hours!!!!!!! OMG, I feel like a new woman today!
    Feel as though I can face anything now.

They are both asleep right now and I have even hung clothes on the line.
    They will be full term next week (wow, time has flown). I guess then, I will start expecting them to interact a bit more with me. I think that is how it works? Did you find that Josh just did the basics until he was term?

Oh no, Tiff, I am so sorry to hear about your Dad. What a sad, scary time for you. I was wondering the other day how he was doing as I remembered how you really wanted him to meet the twins. If there is anything I can do to help, please let me know - and I mean it! I gather from your post that your Dad is in hospital in Sydney? Well, I live in Sydney, so if there is anything you need...someone to come and sit with the twins or take them for a walk, somewhere to have a shower or a sleep...let me know, ok?

On a brighter note, yay for Noah drinking 140ml and having a big sleep! It makes such a difference, doesn't it? How is Ivy eating and sleeping? Wow, full term next week. Time has flown! And yep, Josh just did the basics up until he was term - and even for a bit little after. He gradually became more alert and interactive as time went on.

Well, take care Tiff. You and your Dad will be in my thoughts. Just yell if you need anything, ok?

Love

tiggy Guest

Hi girls,

Thought I'd pop in to see how you are all going?

Everything is starting to settle down now after my Dad's funeral.

Ivy and Noah are starting to smile!

When do they stop acting like newborns? I know I should know this, having had prems before AND being a midwife but be blown if I can remember!!! Hehe. Corrected, they are almost six weeks... hope it's soon.

They are both having a sleepy day today, so am catching up on BB!! Think of you often.

Bec, how is little Josh. love that B&W piccie.

Gwen, how are things with you???

tiggy Guest

PS, Are you girls in a baby buddy group?

I am struggling to find where I fit now. I'm not fitting into the December group because Ivy and Noah are not at the same developmental level but I'm not a Feb Mum either because the twinnies have been around for almost four months.

Hi Tiggy

I am in the August group but Maria was only 6 weeks early. I find now that she is starting to pick up on her development and weight gain (tripled birth weight as of last week).

Hi Tiff!
    Just wanted to say congrats on the twins! I hope they are doing well. My bub Kyla was born 11 weeks early so are very similar to your little 'uns.
    We had lots of feeding problems and digestive probs but she is heaps better now. Although Kyla was born in August, I thought that I'd stay with my Nov buddies as Kyla's milestones will be the same as those in this month. Feel free to email me if you want to have a chat about any probs you are having re: feeding or just need a debrief!
    take care

Hey Tiff,

I'm glad to hear that things are beginning to settle for you. You've been through such a tough time. How are you feeling?

How beautiful that Ivy and Noah are starting to smile! How are they going with their feeding, sleeping, etc? I've been trying to think when Josh stopped acting like a newborn...and I can't remember for sure! But I'm guessing it won't be long for the twins.

Josh is doing really well thanks. He's over 7kg now. He has settled himself into a bit of a routine with his sleeps and feeds and is going really well overnight. He generally sleeps from 7pm to 7am. (That is with a dream feed around 10.30pm and a grizzle for his dummy around 4.30am). He has started on solids, although he's not too interested in eating at the moment - bottles or solids. I've put a few new pics on his site if you want to have a squiz.

Re the baby buddies groups...I've only recently joined in with the August group (the month Josh was born). I hadn't joined in earlier for exactly the reason you mentioned - I felt a bit behind because Josh was at a different developmental level. When he hit about 4 months old though, he did a lot of "growing up" and caught up to a similar level as a lot of the other bubs and I felt comfortable joining in.

I have been thinking for a while that it would be nice to have a general chatter thread in this forum for prem mums to chat, ask questions, etc. Maybe that could be somewhere for you to chat while you find your niche? I will go and post a message in the mods forum now and see what they think...

Catch up again soon.

Tiff
    I found the same thing when my twins were born. They were 9 weeks prem, and their development was behind as well to start with. You are probably best to join the group of when the were actually due- rather than when they were born. I found the same thing with my mothers group. My kids were the youngest, the only prems and only twins, all factors that make a difference to milestones.
    Here they were talking about introducing solids, and my two were still feeding 3 hourly.

ah the fun of prems Where do we fit it?????? lolol
    i guess with ourselves
    Twins group was my saviour as there were other prems and twins there that were doing the same things at the same age b/c of these two factors

any hope all is well

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast