Thread: Babies Born March 2007 #3

Default Babies Born March 2007 #3

This thread is for parents who's baby was born in March 2007

Your moderators for this forum are as follows-
    Christy - [email protected] ~ Senior Moderator
    Lea13 - [email protected]
    Sherie - [email protected]
    Astrolady - [email protected] ~ Administrator

There are many issues that you will encounter as a new parent. We have put together this list of useful articles and threads in order to assist you with some common questions or issues you may have, and to provide you with bit of extra support that we all need as new parents:

Feeding Support:

Breastfeeding General Chatter
    Breastfeeding FAQ's
    Is My Baby Hungry?
    Bottlefeeding FAQ's and Useful Information
    Is Feeding Your Baby Taking Too Much Time?
    Bottlefeeding General Chatter
    Feeding Your Baby
    Lactose Intolerance
    Starting Solids/Homemade Baby Food
    Starting Solids - When Is My Baby Ready?
    Starting Solids General Chatter

Please contact the Australian Breastfeeding Association (ABA) or a Lactation Consultant if you are concerned that you may have breastfeeding and/or supply problems, and before the introduction of solids.

Sleeping Support:

Comforted Sleeping & Sleep Issues Forum
    Comforting Tools to Aid Restful Sleep
    Babies & Sleep
    Controlled Crying/Comforting/Sleep Training
    The Con of Controlled Crying
    The Crying Game
    15 Ways To Help Your Baby Sleep

Other Useful Information & Recommended Reading:

Baby Massage
    Cuddle Me Mum
    Infant-led Feeding & Weaning
    Baby Wearing
    Recommended Reading List

Got questions?

Post your questions in the forums mentioned above, or in the following forums where you're sure to receive many friendly responses!

General Baby & Toddler Forum
    Breastfeeding, Bottlefeeding and Solids
    Gentle Parenting Forum

Your previous thread can be found HERE

Please note - To receive thread notifications click the "thread tools" button at the top of this post and click "Subscribe to Thread" there is no need to post in order to get notifications.

Morning everyone,

Well, Monday again, S was a little cranky this morning after we dropped DH off at work, tried sleeping with him on my chest and we both got about an hour of disturbed sleep before I gave up! After a little while of rocking and walking around and a nappy change I've put him in the bouncer and he's settled down well. Really, I shouldn't complain, generally he's very good.

We just managed to get him to take the dummy this weekend! I was so against a dummy to start with... but when I go out sometimes M finds it very hard to settle him, S seems to know that I'm not there! Having the dummy seems to help. And he looks SO CUTE, what is it about little babies and dummies, it's just gorgeous!

Rachel ikwym about their screaming making you cry. Glad you both got some rest. I read somewhere that between 6 and 8 weeks babies have a particularly unsettled period - just when we thought we'd got a hang of this!

Caro sorry to hear Michael is still having trouble keeping his milk down. As for dropping the ebm, I would have cried - I even get kind of disheartened if Sebastian has a long feed and then throws it up! All that hard work for nothing!! AND I have the mess to clean up as well!

Karina, what a huge weekend, not surprised Claire got upset with all the different people wanting to hold her. Don't know what the photographer was expecting, either! Babies do not react well at being told what to do LOL

Re work I'm starting back at work in Term 3 (End July). I'm kind of dreading it to tell the truth. I so just want to stay home with Sebastian. But I've committed myself to it and I can't really get out of it now. Oh well, it's only 10 weeks. M got a promotion at work so there's even less of a reason for me to be working, even though financially we would be slightly better off when I work, even with day care costs. Which reminds me I have to do something about that... I've been putting it off because I don't want him to go into daycare! Oh well, I still have a few months before it happens and it's only for a short while, I keep telling myself that.

Ozzie, we haven't been to the baby markets but I think there is one here. I should pick up the parents paper apparently they advertise in it. I got some great clothes for S off ebay and also at car boot sales - very cheap and hardly worn. The HAB is great isn't it?

Sonia glad K was great when you were out. We haven't been out to dinner with S yet as dinner time is his "I'm-tired-now-but-don't-think-that-means-I'll-go-to-bed" time and requires lots of persuasion and some time in the HAB to get him to agree that he's ready to go to sleep!

Savina Sebastian "talks" to us a lot too - yesterday he was getting a bit upset at being on his tummy so I picked him and had him lying on my lap while I watched a movie, and he kept going, "hee", and I would look down at him, and he'd give me such a big smile. It's gorgeous!

Sarah, I don't know how you do it with your babies and everything - DH and I have the same deal with the housework too although somehow it doesn't apply when I'M at work fulltime and he's not?!! So much for being emancipated! But actually I like to try and keep the place clean, just sometimes I lack the motivation!!

Well, I'm increasing my nappy stash. Rachel were you talking about it being confusing? Me too - there is so much to choose from! We're getting some covers and another pocket (pocket change) in the mail this week, plus our baby beehind should arrive soon too. Mandymac are off ebay but I think you can buy them from her store, just google mandymac. The only thing is they're made in China and I like it if I can get locally made ones, don't have anything against the Chinese! but I like supporting WAHMs. I went to the cleverpants site, will check them out, thanks for mentioning it!

I'll be off now, going to start some soup cooking for our dinner tonight, to see if I can avoid having to cook tonight. Have a good day everyone!

Hello all, just got back from taking Ari to the Chiro, won't say that she liked it but it has helped to relax her alot - she was very tense before but she seems more relaxed now, our real test will be when she takes a feed off the right side and see how she settles.

sasha, you just reminded me I have to organise work and daycare, i'm not going back till next year but I want to go part-time so have to make some arrangements with my new boss (haven't met yet as i transfered on leave) and he doesn't seem too fussed on part-time :-(. Time is just going past far too quickly isn't it, I'm not ready to start thinking about work already.

Rachel - gald you found some good nappies! let us know how they go?

bec thats really good to hear other people are getting a cute conversation out of there bubs its so cute

Hi everyone, I cant believe it has been so long since I posted in here!

After some good nights with Tate having a 7hr break between feeds, he has gone back to every 4hrs and wakes up after 2hrs after the 2/3am feed. Any idea WHY??!! I ended up just feeding him again this morning as I was desperate to get back to sleep, then he slept very unsettled on my chest for an hour, we went back to bed once DH got up for work, and he slept in DH's spot peacefully for 2hrs!! Too bad for me DS#1 was up and demanding weet-bix so I couldn't even sleep then. I have even tried formula to try and make Tate sleep longer at night (just one bottle, around 10pm), and it didn't seem to make a difference. So last night I just b/f again because I cant be bothered pumping if there is no point.

Anyway..... hope all of the beautiful bubba's are doing well, will try and post more, it is so hard to get 5mins alone! I was walking around the shops yesterday thinking how nice it would be to be working again... talk about crazy. I can't put my finger on how I'm feeling... kinda like there isn't much to do (besides look after a baby and 2 1/2 yr old).... anyone understand, not that I'm sure I even understand how I'm feeling?!

jessica- i feel that way at the moment that id rather b working it would be much easier i feel stuck at the moment with 4 kids a dp who needs to have his clothes washed and ironed and dinner done for him to take to work plus juggle a baby who doesnt want to be put down and crying alot, a 2 year old who throws tantrums over the drop of a hat every were we go literally, a 9 and 8 yr old who ague over stuff and still havent really learnt how to put things away and look after there stuff . totally frustrating especially when there dvds and playstationg games and nintendo ds things , which all cost heaps of money and we are constantly on the bakcs about it, makes me so angry im not going to spend much on there bdays anymore not until they look after things.
    and to top it off were living with the in laws for a while until we build a shed on our property to live in until we can build a house on and i forgot to mention im also looking after a japanese student this money we get from her will he;lp go towards our property for building equipment and stuff.
    so sorry to whinge but i need to it doesnt feel like anyone else really cares around here atm and my dp doesnt seem to fully understand either , i feel like ive lost a part of me since being we even had to sell my car which id be paying off myself to my mil and know im borrowing her car until we can afford to get another .
    meanwhile he still has his i feel like s##t.
    anyway a baby is calling talk later
    savina

Oh Savina, that sounds like a rough time - we had inlaws stay with us and it was bad enough, I can't imagine how hard it must be to be living in THEIR house and plus with your other children too, and not having a car must be quite isolating. At any other time I guess it would be cool to have a Japanese student staying with you but right now it would be yet another thing to have on your plate! Hope things settle down for you soon.

We had parents group today and watched a video about settling babies. It showed how to let the baby "self-settle" well, that's not what I call self-settling, as far as I was concerned she fell asleep because she had exhausted herself from all the screaming. It only lasted about 1 minute on the tape but the voiceover said that she had been crying for about 10 minutes, honestly I found it quite hard to listen to and a bit upsetting. I would never let S go that long before going to give him a cuddle or whatever - it just seemed kind of mean. But otherwise the group was kind of nice, and the other mothers seem very friendly. Also S has put on more weight and is now about 5.15 kg (fatty!)

Weighed myself yesterday and was a bit disheartened because I'm still 65kg so haven't lost anymore weight other than the 12 kg... then again I have been eating REALLY badly - lots of takeaway and quite a bit of chocolate. I have to stop that! I realised I haven't really been having lunch, just sort of snacking throughout the day and so I get to late afternoon and I'm starving and so I eat bad things then. So I've started to cook more during the day while S is sleeping and I can then have leftovers.

Ok, enough rambling! hope you're all well

Mmmm, Bec, Soup sounds good. I really want to make some vege soup but haven't had the time. I had heard that about the 6-8 weeks thing as well. She has been much better today thank goodness. I shouldn't complain either as she is generally good, but it is hard. Although I was thinking today that even though she had been unsettled throughout the day and feeding regularly, she still kept up with the 6 hours sleep overnight, I am lucky. We have been out for dinner with grace a number of times and amazingly, every time, she has been a perfect angel. She feeds beautifully when we are out, no fussing, then sleeps like an angel. Everytime we go out. Maybe she knows we're out and she needs to be on her best behaviour! I suppose if she wasn't like this we wouldn't have gone out so much either. You may be suprised, S may be an angel when you are out too. I'm glad the parents group was ok and the mums seemed ok. That video sounds horrid. there is absolutely no way that I could leave grace to cry for 10 minutes either. I'm glad it's not just me, I have been eating terrible too, craving sweet things all the time. I wish I was 65kgs, not even close! I have given myself 6 months to a year to lose the weight, slowly but surely yeah?

Jessica - I hear you. Sometimes I feel like that too which is bizarre because I don't really want to go back to work as there is no way that I could leave her, but sometimes I think it was easier and less tiring. Someone asked me if i was loving motherhood. I honestly didn't know what to say. I love Grace and I love being a mother but it is so tiring and demanding, I do love it when I get a break.

Savina - you are in a very demanding position. You can vent as much as you want in here. If you can't vent here where can you vent?

Well, just wanted to say hi. Sounds like we are all going through similar things at the moment. Heres to good, sleeping, happy babies!

Hello ladies!

Bec, yay that the dummy works for Sebastian! Claire is not impressed by the dummies, lol. Aww i dont know how I am going to feel about Claire going to daycare.. I really have mixed feelings about it - no one ever looks after your baby like you look after her/him. Oh, i think we watched that same video at our parents group, and I thought the same thing as you!

Jessica, I understand what you mean about wanting to go back to work - I do but mainly for the adult interaction and mental stimulation, but I also dont want to because I'm loving seeing Claire change everyday and spending time with her... I am sorry I really cant help with the waking/settling .. we have same issue here!

Savina,
    sorry to hear youre having a tough time at home. sounds like you really have your hands full and must be so annoying to not have access to your car. I hope things improve and you DH helps you out a bit more.

Took Claire to have her immunisations today. She screamed when the doc did the injection, then fell asleep on me. She had a sleep for about 3 hours afterwards, but has been a bit cranky this evening and hasnt been feeding well. I didnt realise they did the injection into her bum cheek, lol. poor thing, she had no idea what just happened!

I also went out today to the post office and picked up a special package containing my U shaped pillow thing for Claires pram, from another lovely BB member Dachlostar. So now I dont have to worry about Claire moving around too much in the pram and going sideways.

All the girls, thanks for your replies. After a horrible afternoon (Tate did not sleep at all and DS#1 decided to do 3 horrible poos in his nappy and cause a yukky nappy rash, among other things), it was nice to come on here and read your helpful and sympathetic replies. Bit angry at DH tho, he seems to think there is a point to asking me if I mind he plays cricket tonight. Of course I mind!! It has been one of the hardest days yet, he knows I was up all night, but how can I tell him I mind, I hate telling him what he can and can't do, it's just not me (unfortunately!). In the end I wrote a text back saying 'Ha, what do you think!', but of course, he played anyway. Oh well.....

Sometimes I feel like the only thing holding me back going back to work is b/feeding.... and guilt, oh and cost of child care. ARGH.

Maybe Tate is cold at the time he is unsettled in the mornings, I think I will put a beanie on him like I used to. He def doesn't need more than the 3 blankets he already has!

Jessica, I'll bet Tate will look cute with a beanie on

Sorry that your DH is being unreasonable, and I know what you mean about work being easier, also it would be nice to go out everyday wearing smart clothes and having a purpose and getting respect (although as a high school teacher I think that's probably asking a bit much LOL) from others in my workplace, although in reality I know that when I start work I will probably be exhausted because I can't imagine things changing around here much so I will be going to work and coming home and still doing all the things I do now... but perhaps pigs will fly and suddenly DH will start doing the washing up or something

Hope you have a good night.

Hi everyone.

Savina - vent away! This is the place to do it. I know what you mean about the kids not looking after their things. I almost had a nervous breakdown on Monday when I went into their games room and saw all their toys laying on the floor, clothes and shoes everywhere! I picked everything up and put it in a plastic crate and told them that whatever is left in the box by Friday will be given away. This seemed to work!!

Jessica - I am so jealous that Tate was sleeping for 7 hours! We have still only managed 4, and then, only twice. As for going back to work, I stopped paid work at the end of 2005 to study and be an 'at home mum' to the girls. I am really lucky though that I was asked to join the board of the organisation I was working for, so I still do 'work', just as a volunteer. I would definitely miss the mental stimulation and adult conversation though.

Cass - I saw the pics of Oskar - SO CUTE!!!!!! Especially his smile, just beautiful.

Nic had not slept during the day for the last few days, so today we went to the shops and he slept all day in the pram! What a good boy. We have switched his formula to one for reflux, and seems to help him keep it down. It is much thicker than normal formula. Hope everyone else is good.

Taia's Mum Guest

Hi Everyone! I'm back from my trip to Tassie to visit the family! It was fantastic and I've already booked to go back at the end of the month! They were such a great help and it was nice to have a break!

Taia is 6weeks old tomorrow! She has colic and reflux which is a pain but we have some medicine from the chemist which seems to be helping a bit. She is still waking at 1am ish, 4am ish and then every hour or two from there on....so it can get a bit exhausting! Yesterday she hardly slept at all during the day yesterday! She is getting into this bad habit of only staying asleep when we are holding her - anyone else having this issue?

Hope everyone is going well!

xoxox

Nat - I have that issue with Grace in the daytime, she won't go down to sleep. So usually she doesn't sleep much in the daytime. I had her in the HAB today and she slept for 3hours 45 minutes, amazing.

Ooops, she's awake again...

Ok, this is going to be 3rd time lucky with posting!! I tried on Monday and yesterday but both times I had to sign back in and it wouldn't let me so I got cranky and had to leave the computer before I threw it!!

I can't remember what everyone said especially from the last thread, so sorry

I know some have been having a hard time and I hope that this gets better really soon.

Sasha, I don't like dummies either but it does seem to work when Oskar is getting tired or to resettle him if I need to grocery shop. I take it off him once he's asleep though cos I don't want him relying on it to settle himself all the time. There is a market in Perth, actually 3 locations. If you want the website just email me and I'll email it to you.

Jessica, it's great to hear from you again. I know what you mean about work. I think too that maybe you could be feeling like you've lost your identity and are just "Aidan and Tate's mummy"?? Maybe your DH could watch the boys for half an hour for you so you can just go and soak in a nice bath - you could light some candles or read a mag or just lay there with some music. With regards to your text to him...he's male, he wouldn't have read it how you meant it. I found that I had to spell out to Andy what I wanted from him and also ask him how he would feel if I did the same to him. It worked really well for us. I have the too cold/hot concern with Oskar. Just in the past few nights the night temperature here has dropped a further 5 degrees on average and I've been faced with the dilemma of is he warm enough..oh no have I got too many blankets on him?? It drives me nuts!! Last night I put a different jumpsuit and blanket on him cos the night before he woke earlier than usual and I thought maybe he was cold. Not sure if he was or not cos last night he slept better. I hope that Tate goes back to his long night sleeps for you. to you.

Karina, I am sooooo not looking forward to Oskar getting his needles I remember with Joshua how I felt like crying with him *sighs*. I think it's more the shock that something has jabbed them (and I think it stings a little?) out of the blue that makes them cry. Poor little things just don't understand what's happening.

Jo, thank you It's great to hear that Nicholas is improving with his reflux. It must be hard on them and then on you wanting to be able to fix it but not being able to. I empathise with you on that. Oskar isn't much of a day sleeper and it can make just leaving the house hard to co-ordinate, I make a dash for the door straight after a feed..lol.

Nat, wow, 6 wks already!! I've only got a few days before that. It seems to have gone by so quickly!! Sounds like you had a great holiday. You should just move there!! lol. Oskar does the sleep on me or in my arms thing..he's ok at night, it's just the day. Sometimes I manage to be able to put him down for about an hour in the day, but this is after he's been asleep for at least 1/2 an hour on me and he's full on asleep. Otherwise, he just wakes within 5 mins if not straight away. I'm pretty sure as they get a little older and know that you're not going anywhere and that you'll still be there when they wake up that they do get better and don't need the constant touch, afterall I think they are still adjusting to being out in the world. Like Rachel, the HAB works wonders and he will sleep for hours very happily and I still get to do things. I don't always use it but when I have heaps to do I pop him in it and he's happy as larry to sleep. I also have a Tomy carrier which he will sleep in but not for as long...I only use it if I have to though cos it hurts my back.

Caro, BIG to you. She will be ok. I understand you crying though. Email me anytime you feel like venting/talking/screaming or whatever.

Oskar is being a good little sleeper at night (touch wood) and is doing 6-7 hours between feeds pretty much every night. I've changed our night time "routine" though. I used to bath him by 6:30 pm then feed him and he'd be down by 7:30...but this meant he was waking too early for me to have a good block of sleep...so now I feed him (usually around 6/6:30) then bath him and then he stays awake (most of the time...lol...not last night) for a while and has another feed around 7:30/8pm so it means an extra hour or so that I get to sleep in my first block. So, on average he wakes around 3am then usually between 5 and 6...then I put him in bed with me cos Andy gets up for work and I get another hour or 2 if I'm lucky then we get up. Then it's just whenever he wants during the day and sometimes a longer sleep in the middle of the day where I get to eat my lunch. I am happy with that and can't complain. He's growing way too fast though!!

Our wedding anniversary is on Monday and I don't know what to get Andy. I have seen a ring and a bracelet thingy (both stainless steel) which I really like and don't know if I should get one of those or something else all together!! Any ideas or advice?? He's such a hard person to buy for it's annoying!!

Alright, dinners cooking and she's bathed and asleep in rocker. Fingers crossed she stays that way. I find this the most stressful time on the nights that DH is at work, anxious as to will I actually get to eat my dinner. I will feed her again probably between 8 and 9 and maybe again at 11 depending on what i'm up to then she should go through the night until 5am. She did this last night which was great but then decided she didn't want to sleep again after 5am which was rather frustrating!

Jessica, I know what you mean. DH is in the same job as me and sometimes when he is talking about work I really miss it. Although I'm not sure if it is work I miss but rather the freedom of it and the interaction with other people. I like to get out of the house as much as possible so if you wanted to meet send me an email, as i've said before I don't know anyone around this area.

Time for dinner...

Rachel, I have to agree.. I get stressed out when my hubby is out at night for work or whatever, though he doesnt have to work overnight. Last night and tonight he has been out till late and little miss has been so unsettled!

gosh i wish DH could breastfeed too lol!!!

oh dear, crying again.. I dont know what is going on. Been unsettled for like 4 hours tonight. She must be so tired (I know I am!!)

jessica- i know wat u mean about the cricket thing my dh was the same 4 years hed done a sport and this year i said his going to have to think about givin the cricket up as ill need extra help with the 4 kids and japanese student..... so he hasnt complained yet but he is so flat out at work it hasnt hit him i dont think anyway>?

cass- i have a tomy baby carrier as well and taylen loves it i used it shopping yesterday can b a bit awkward at times and it also hurts my back a bit as well so i wouldnt like to carry him to much

karina- about the work thing it all sounds good in theory but reality is u will have to come home and do all the same things , i know bcause ive done it before and though t the exact same way as u , but its really quite tiring but then again i did have 3 kids.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast