Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Babies Born June 2006 #48

Nic- It brought tears to my eyes just reading about Nixon you must have felt the heart leave you body!!! I remember all to well how I felt when I couldnt find Kai... I hope you are starting to feel ok now! Cant believe that people would just see a child and just keep walking!!! I think it would only be a people with kids or who have had runner's before who would stop and ask him what he was doing or where his mummy was...

Maya- checked out your photo's in facebook you looked bloody cold lol but what a great trip!! My sister living over scotland ATM thinking about moving to england soon or maybe back home she isnt sure I think she is just missing the family..I would love to go over and see her but couldnt afford it with 3 kids in toe so might wait until next year so that mum and dad can look after them for 10 days, thats if she is still there...

Jess- good luck with the job I think most places are always after good pickers arent they I know up here they never knock anyone back who asks for a job...

Bath- Glad you are starting to feel a bit better now.. I dont know how you are relaxing with three kids I know my lot would never let that happen....

Amanda- I too hope the M/S does more going than comming it the only thing putting for going for number 4 me and pregnacy dont mix well...

Ali- thank goodness the GP has found a reason why Liam has been so restless hopefully thing will contiue to improve..

Hi to rory mel jaspen and julie

Well I have been one grumpy mummy today the worse thing is I know I am but cant seem to stop!!! I know that AF is due any day now but I dont normally act this way... I mean the kids arent been any worse that the normally are but I just cant seem to handle it today!!! I feel so bad for them it would be like walking on egg shells trying not to set me off... Mind you I think they are just running throught the eggs and not tring to hard..lol I just wish they would listen to me sometimes I ask and ask and ask them to do something or not to do something but they just keep on going like I havent said anything...ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGG I did scream for real earlier I went out the back and just screamed I am sure the naughbours thought I was mad I know the kids did as they asked why I was screaming so i told them that them not listening to me is making me so mad that if I didnt scream I might do something I might regret, but you guessed it they just said ok went back inside and contiued doing what I had told them not to do.....I can wait until it 7:30 so they can go to bed and I can have some chocolate....

Tali- i hope the kids all went to bed ok last night, how was that chocolate?!
    its not funny but i suppose sometimes you just have to laugh otherwise you'll cry.
    Im not looking forward to Tyron doing the things Nixon has ben (eg running away)
    was dh around yesterday to step in?

so over the last 3 months i have had 3 close calls with Nixon's wandering.
    once @ my house where my neice opened the front door and the 2 of them took themselves outside.
    at Tyrons christening a few weeks ago, wandered off and almost made it out the door to the carpark.
    and the last and most scariest one.

for someone who doesnt know me and read those would think "slack mum who doesnt keep an eye on their child" but it hasnt been like that at all.
    even going to playgroup rather than make Nix walk i sat him in the pram (he carried on about it) but i knew it would be too hard to try and walk with him with so many cars and pushing the pram. so i know what he's like and i accomodate to that, i have a leash for him but the 3 times he has gone off i wouldnt have had it on him anyway? At a christening with 50+ ppl, at home & in a secure locked room at playgroup.
    what also irritated me was i told MIL about it. she has told me many times that dh was the exact same and she culd NEVER leave her eyes off him and i mustnt with Nixon.
    dh was also the youngest of 3 and his two older sisters were 10 & 8 when he was born, very different ball game.
    she said to me that she would follow him around everywhere and never leave her eyes off him.... i think thats physically impossible for anyone 24/7 but anyway.
    and @ playgroup we all get a rold for the day. i had to collect money cause my sister the banker wasnt there and i had to supervise the bike area.
    well if i have to follow my child around every second of the day i can not go to this sort of thing, or anywhere for that matter....

sorry im still rambling about it, it was such a huge thing for me, even dh told me to stop dwelling on the "what ifs"

i went in the city to a hens night last night! dh packed the kids in the car to come pick me up and luckily for me they both slept in till 8.30am!
    Got to see the Queen Victoria (we were on a harbour cruise) its soooo massive!

Nic- Things are ment to happen in 3's so lets hope you have seen the last of it for now But it does sound like you have one who keeps you on your toes... Of course you are going to keep running through what happen and do the "What if's" because thats what mum's do we can help are selves so stop blaming yourself there hasnt been a time where you could have done anything else!!! If you can let your guard down when at home,with friend or at playgroup where can you.. The thing is someone must of opened the door to playgroup and seen him get out, or at least not closed the door proberly when they left or a 22mth old just couldnt get out so maybe you will have to ask everyone who goes to please make sure that the door stays closed when they leave.. As this is not your foult you have a runner and those with out one will never really understand how hard it is to keep an eye on them... May is mine she has gotten heaps better now that she understands that it upsets mummy when she just walks away so he will get better.. She now just likes to hide in the clothes racks at the shops and ask in a very loud voice if I know where she is? But that I can cope with running away to look at the new dolls without telling me I cant..

Oh and no BHL wasnt home but gets home on wendnesday, I know I cope so much better when he is home for some reason they dont seem to annoy me as much when he is home maybe its because I know he is there to step in and they dont give him any of the [email protected] they give me as always when you make a Daddy mad then you must be doing something big so its wise to listen...

Hope you give yourself a break and stop betting yourself up about this as for one more time ITS NOT YOUR FOULT!!!!

HAVE A GREAT SUNDAY....

Oh girls! Nic, Tali! I sympathsise!

Nic: yes, it's not your fault at all darl! Niall is a wanderer too, more so than Wade or Verity. I've just got to be more vigilant, it's sooo hard i know and unfortunately you can't trust other people to keep an eye out either. Last week I lost Wade at Kinder. It is a very secure place, at least 2 safety gates... but while I was putting Niall in the pram I wasn't watching him and by the time I had finished (Niall was kicking and screaming) Wade had gone. i called him (he usually comes) and I noticed that both gates were being held open by young children for their parents and/or siblings. I thought 'surely Wade wouldn't have walked out with out me..' but where was he??? Not in the playground... not in the classroom??? Where??? I asked every parent around me? "Wade's gone! Did you see where he went??" They kinda gazed around sleepily... ARRRRGHHH only one mum could tell how panicky i was and she dropped what she was doing and said "you go that way i'll go this way!" Well we both looked... no Wade. She had gone out the front to the street and came back asking whether he would have crossed the road... I said "No way!". Finally i remember the toilets (but he usually asks...) and I head toward them... and there he is coming up the stairs (the toilets are downstairs... he is reluctant to go without getting me to wait nearby) and i call out "Wade!!!" he is all confused as to why I am so frantic! but he was gone a good 3-5 minutes... so unlike him. Good grief. With Niall i kinda expect him to wander... but when a kid that usually stays nearby wanders off it's shocking.

We've all been there Nic, (and if we haven't we probably will!) it's impossible to keep your eyes on them 24/7.. your MIL was kidding herself if she watched your DH every second of every day... how easy it could have been for her to console you instead of making you feel worse!

Tali: I know that feeling. But mine is because of my thyroid. It is sending our too many "blood boiling" hormones.... i feel like screaming every day... but now at least i know why. If it persists maybe get a blood test darl (thyroid test). It helps when you know you feel that way for a medical reason. Now i just turn my back on the situation (if I can) that is making me aggro or I say to Wade (who partially understands) "Mummy is feeling angry..." He instantly replies, almost without fail: "Mum, go take your vitamin B" That is his prompt, his contribution to calming me down. I tell him I need to take vitamin B's just to make it simple... it's just one of about 8 tablets i need to take so when Wade gives me the prompt it usually means I have to take one anyhow! If you can tell your kids to say something in particular when you are about to blow your top it kinda helps... hearing them say something in their little voice can pull your finger away from the trigger of anger. And when i do go take a tablet i come back and say "thank's Wade... I feel better now" and apologise and tell him calmly what he was doing that made me get cross.

DD going on camp this week... they need my help.... back tomorrow!

My mum pulls the whole "I never let you out of my sight" and "I never let you hurt yourself" line when Oscar does himself an injury, so it's similar to what your MIL says, Nic! You think to yourself "how could you possibly have had that 24 hour capability?", especially when you know that there were other kids to look after as well! We have decided that we will 'lose' Oscar more than a few times and I have got to get off my arse and get some identity bands done up for him. We saw one in Dubai that an online company does, and when I can remember what it's called and how to get there, I'll be letting you all know!
    Well, my birthday weekend has been uneventful, in a good way. We went out for lunch to a local pub on Friday and a semi-forest walk. It was impromptu and I was wearing 3/4 length pants and slip on shoes. Not sure I've mentioned before, but I have an irrational loathing of the idea of leeches. I tried to enjoy my walk, but after screaming a few times and brushing a few of the beggars off, we turned back...even though I said to DP, it doesn't matter - we turn back there are still leeches, we keep going, we walk through them, I was screwed either way! And until we got to a more cleared path, sure enough, I screamed a few more times. DP was annoyed because he doesn't want me passing my fear onto Oscar! Too bad!
    Friday evening we hung out with our neighbours at their place and had a lovely evening swapping holiday slideshows. Yesterday my mum prepared a lovely BBQ for me, where my MIL and cousin (and new cousin-in-law!) came. BIL and SIL were invited, too, but couldn't make it. So it was a small affair, with some tense moments, but for the most part my mum's behaviour was ignored. My parents gift was to frame a very large photo that we had ordered from my first graduation - it's massive (was part of a package) and it looks even bigger framed. At the time, it would have looked fine in their stairwell, but now they're selling up and we have a tiny house...gotta find a space on the wall in the study for it until we have new walls and rooms! It's a really lovely gift, especially as it commemorates the end of a very long 3 year degree (as in, it took me about 6 years to complete!!), which has led to study in other areas of interest. WIthout that hard slog, many doors would have stayed shut in the direction I wanted to go.
    Anyway, today we decided to clean the house up cos I was upset last night about the crap hole we've been living in. The other options were to take Puffing Billy to the Gembrook market or go to town for the Slow Food and Wine festival. But, really, we need to stop living in a crap hole!
    DP has an MRI scan tomorrow, too, so while he's still mobile, I got him to clear out the pantry - I won't do it cos I might find mice and pass out!
    He was going to get me a Burmese kitten for my birthday, but we've both had second thoughts about it for now. When we have a downstairs and a cat run, we'll get one. Meanwhile, Oscar is in and out of the back door and our indoor cat would quickly become an outdoor cat! With a downstairs we could shut the cat in there on nice days and leave the upstairs deck door open for Oscar and the dogs. The cat could then go in and out of the bottom room, through a cat door, into its run. That's my plan. DP's cousin will have more litters and we can get one of his cats then. Plus, I need to figure more time for my lovely dogs, just for now.
    So, I have suggested to DP that a suitable birthday present is a webcam! Then I can see my niece and sister, and video conference with my cousins in Ireland etc. There are loads of possibilities with a webcam. All in all, I had a nice birthday and even forgot how old I was turning - it probably doesn't matter between 30 and 40, anyway!
    Thanks for your message Mel Sorry I didn't reply, I had an Oscar grabbing at my phone a the time and never got round to replying later!
    Bath - did you get to MC on Friday?
    Without wanting to squish too much into Oscar's week, I'm thinking of joining a Spanish speaking playgroup on Mondays. I could then leave him at MIL's afterwards and get study/horseriding/housework done on Mondays. Turns out my neighbour will be going to uni twice a week, so I may be able to carpool and leave Oscar in care while I do that - either brigade friends or mothers group friends. Dunno yet. I haven't been contacted about a SwiCH (Students with Children) place yet, so I need a plan B. If it's my turn to drive and you're working, Mel, I'll go and visit for a coffee?
    I'm missing Ireland and London- at least you knew it was going to be cold and what to wear - this in between weather is driving me nuts!
    OK, gonna go back to folding clothes...
    Hope everyone is having a lovely Sunday.

After reading all the posts, I have to say Nic, you poor thing! What a horrible situation and I can totally understand how upset you must have been. As for MIL, pft! to her. What a totally ridiculous thing to say, we can't have eyes everywhere. I hope you being kind to yourself this weekend and don't worry, we know you are definately not a slack mum!

Tali - as my DH would say, have you got your angry head on today! I think we all have moments like that, going out and screaming can be quite theraputic. Try to keep smiling

Julie - welcome back. Glad to hear all is now well and you have your iron levels sorted out. I am sure you'll be feeling more energized as your second trimester kicks along.

Rory - how was your first week back at work? Love the protective brother, how gorgeous.

Ali - great news with the Gaviscon, glad to hear its working for you. Hope you managed to get out of the house and enjoy the sunshine.

Amanda - hope your m/s disappears soon. It must be a killer, I hear Jaspen and Julie talking about it and count myself as very lucky not to have suffered it with either pregnancy. Did you have m/s with your others?

Bath - how is your medication going, do you feel any better for taking it? Wade is so sweet (not for nicking off!) telling you to take your Vitamin B. As for nicking off, thankfully one mother decided to help you out.

Maya - you know I am always up for coffee!!!! And we do have good coffee. Glad you enjoyed your birthday, sounds like a good day and night. Good idea to have a plan B, you might find you need to use it a few times. Good luck starting back at uni this year, I hope you enjoy it more with the reduced workload.

I saw the most awful thing happen today. My GF and I took the kids to the shops, had some atea then went and did some shopping. We were in a shop looking around, when I heard all this screaming and yelling. I looked outside the shop to see people running, I started to worry why they were all running. Next thing I see this old lady in a wheel chair flying along and she hits this car. The car was there as part of a promotion and she just smacked straight into it and flew out of the wheelchair on the ground. My heart just sank, thankfully my GF and the older kids were over the otherside of the shop and didn't see. I heard from people nearby that her husband was wheeling her onto the escalator and trippped, let go of the wheelchair and she just took off down the escalator. It is a very steep escalator and was going so fast when I saw her, and it happened really quickly. There was lots of people standing around and a nurse came rushing over to help. The poor husband came donw and he was very distressed and needed help to sit down. I felt really sorry for him. We decided to move away and take the kids away from it all as they were starting to ask lots of questions. We noticed though, that it took ages for the ambulance to arrive. My GF and I just kept saying how awful it was and we couldn't believe what had just happened. I kept getting a bit shaky thinking about it. I really hope the woman is OK but she would have sustained some nasty injuries as she hit the car with her legs then body. I called DH at work to see if he could check up and tell me anything but he didn't have any details of it. I rang MIL to tell her as she always takes her mum shopping in a wheelchair and often uses the escalators. It goes to show how easy a nasty accident can happen.

Good morning Wade is at kinder, Niall was sleeping here BFing but now he's awake and running rampant... I'll see if I can still do a quick post.

Mel: OMG how awful! Let us know if you hear how she is! I'm relieved to hear the children didn't see it, it would have stayed in their mind for days... Verity saw a car accident once in which a car flipped over in front of us... we were first on scene. Hours later she was still talking about it and role playing what she saw with her dolls and their doll car.
    To be honest escalators make me feel very nervous at the best of times. I had a mild phobia about using them as a child. Even now I have to concentrate harder than most people just to get on and off (my brain can't process movement very well i don't think). I see parents using them with prams too and it makes me feel very nervous!!! There are always lifts nearby... why don't people use them? I always stop other mums if I see them heading toward an escalator with a pram at Melbourne Central and tell them where the closest lift is (Don't I Rory LOL) it's just too much of a risk. I hope the poor little old lady is ok.... she will be in my thoughts! I hope you hear some good news too!

back later... don't know where Niall is...

Well the RA are going to be here in 25 mins, so I have time for a quick post!
    Mel- Poor lady, I hope that she is ok....makes me wonder why no-one tried to stop the wheelchair!

I haven't had any trouble with my children running off, besides Jack! Jack has a bad habit of just walking off to look at things if they interest him, I've lost count of how many times I've lost him in Kmart in Shepp! I actually lost Bella the other day, Ihad to run into the school to drop some paperwork off, so I parked in the Staff carpark right next to the office. I said to Bella stay in your seat as Pat was asleep, I ran into the office,and ran out, reversed out the driveway and headed back down the street. Started talking away to the babies, looked over my shoulder and only Pat was in the car!!!
    Threw a u-turn, and headed back to the school, to find Bella standing outside the office door.She has just moved into a big girls seat and managed to undo the seat belt.So she decided to get out the car and look for her big sisters and brothers.

I can understand, sort of, why you would use those escalators at Knox - the lifts are ages away, not very well spaced out at all and if it's busy, you may well decide to take your chances on the escalator than push through the hordes of people in those narrow malls. Still, you'd want to make sure the brakes work and that you have a wrist strap (for a pram, a wheelchair on a wrist strap would cause some damage!!). How disturbing to see, though.

guys thanks for making me feeling half human about it!
    Jess- omg cheeky Bella! glad you realised straight away and not when you got home!
    Bath- hope you found Niall. I think we were bound for wandering kids, well i get told how dh always did it but i used to be the hider and hide underneath the clothes racks!
    Mel- omg thats horrible. have you heard anything? Im glad the kids didnt see it.
    Can i ask, i may not have read properly, when ppl were running everywhere, were they the ppl running down out of the way of the wheel chair? IN a way if so i would have thought someone may have tried to stop it than run from it??

Nixon is so completley gorgeous but gosh he did my head in today! he just got into EVERYTHING..... wasnt interested in playing with HIS stuff, just wanted to get into everything else he shouldnt have. I have latches on cubboards etc but not all of them. as much as i dont want him to get into things i want him to learn to just not open them....
    so i went out tonight and when i got home dh said he was an angel, of course he was!

Tali- i know what im like when dh is away with the 2 boys, so i can understand you coping with the 3 of them mucking up! when Nix was the way he was today i thought gosh im gonna get days later on when both of them are doing this to me

ok best go to sleep, set my alarm for 6am, got lots to do tomorrow and want to get started early or i'll never get everything done!

good night

Afternoon girls.

Bath - I hate using escalators too now, will definately be using the lift from now on.

Jess - I think a few people did try to stop it but it was going so fast it would have been hard to grab. Apparently, someone was running down the escalator trying to catch it but it was too fast for them. I'm just so glad that she didn't hit a child.

Nic - as I said to Jess, the wheelchair was going so fast and it all happened so quickly. People that I saw could see it happening from further back and came running to maybe try to stop it.

Well I haven't heard anything about the woman, MIL suggested I ring the centre management from the shopping centre to ask. Its just been playing on my mind and I would really like to know it she is ok or not.

Chelsea is learning Italian at school, so we are getting lots of words from her, it's hilarious! She puts such effort into the accent too.

Marley is doing fantastic at day care. She has done a few paintings and pastings which are very cute. The carers just love her, they think she has the cheekiest laugh. She is cutting teeth all over the place, top and bottom but they don't appear to be bothering her thankfully.

Hope everyone is happy and well

Mel - All my kids do Italian at school. I was talking to the Italian teacher the first week back and she reckons Liz can speak the language really well already( it helps when I practise my italian with the kids)

Good afternoon girls I am sitting amongst total chaos and I'm just letting it wash over me... as long as no one is injured or starving i'm just letting it go. Oh Nic! My head has been "done in" by kids getting into things for years... I think I'm all done out!!! Verity is no better... she drags out cupboards of stuff along with the best of them. Nothing is sacred she's into my own personal makeup drawers now.... will borrow my gold tipped tweezers without asking to do some craft activity for homework!!! Honestly: nothing....is....sacred! Niall pushes furniture around to gain access to areas he can't reach... once he has successfully pushed a chair to a bench top or shelf he will unceremoniously sweep everything to the floor! Arrrgghhh! I had one of our best wine glasses in the lounge area last night... had to leave it on a high shelf to do something... came back later: broken! A pushed chair had helped Niall reach it and smash! I give up! I just can't keep up... where is Niall now? (3 minutes later) ...in our bedroom pulling apart CD's! DH is going to crack it. I am meant to follow Niall around everywhere. Does anyone else have furniture pushers???

Medication: I can't take anti-thyroid tablets because i am having trouble weaning Niall... so i am not getting any better. I am wearing a dress that Niall can't access (Boobies) today and he has been majorly p*ssed off! As soon as I am in PJs trying to sleep tonight Niall is going to want to feed and because it will be late and I will be tired I will probably let him... I don't want him to grow up with some kind of obsession with boobies...I don't want the weaning process to be negative...it's just so hard. He is becoming less keen on bottles.... whereas my other 2 were more keen on the bottle once I introduced it. ok now he's in my wallet... silly me only put it in the kitchen behind a locked gate... Wade left the gate open...

Mel: Maybe give the centre management a quick call.... I'm sure they would know something. Let us know!

Maya: yep, went in to MC last Friday... put both boys in a care centre nearby, that went well, I had lunch with DH at a restuarant... then sussed out a place where I'm going to have accupuncture done. It was a good day until Niall tantied all the way home on the train... maybe that was my punishment for leaving him? I've only ever left him with anyone other than DH about 2/3 times since he was born. He'll get used to it... I'm going to make it a regular thing, every fortnight, and maybe look for a job so I can have a rest!

Hiya girls - quick one from me cause it is late and I am tired. It's DH's interview with the fire brigade tomorrow, at long last. Wish us luck

I have been reading, just always seem to run out of time to reply. I have been back to the GP with Liam this week because the Gaviscon didnt seem to have any effect after the first day. He is now on AR formula and Zantac, and today he is like a different baby- even though he had his needles, he has been sooooooooo much more settled than he has been in weeks and weeks and weeks, I am crossing my fingers that this is the break we needed and our life settles down.

My thoughts are with all of you and the trials and tribulations that you are experiencing at the moment, just remember 'these things are sent to try us' but at the end of the day I dont think we are ever sent anything that we can't cope with. *Hugs* all round!

good luck mick with your interview today!!!!!

Ali - hopefully the new formula and zantac make a permanent difference with Liam and calm and tranquility returns to your home.

Bath - I read your response yesterday and thought "I am so hearing you!!!!" Although I don't have a furniture mover (so some things/spots are still scared) I'm finding it so much harder with Sam than Benjamin ever was - just so much more a normal child but aghhhh why couldn't I have three quiet Benjamins (although he's now getting 4yr old attitude so....). My "behaviour management" (to use a politically incorrect term) skills are well and truly lacking at the moment - or should I say what I've tried isn't working - aghhhhh! And you are right Niall will get used to it - I'm finding the biggest problem with Sam after his daycare day is he is sooooo tired cause he has slept less and thus his behaviour is worse!!!! I'm trying to get in the habit of getting him off to bed early daycare nights.

Mel - did you end up calling cm or anything re the lady??? I can imagine how scary it was

Nic - Samuel is the same - toys are for playing with with Mummy and Daddy not on your own - if you ahve time where mummy is busy you just make trouble cause that will get her attention (and if that fails you scream and throw yourself on the floor a few times)

Anyway too hot here at the computer so will try to bbl to finish replies in the meantime hi to evereyone else

A whole day without a post, wow!

Jess - Chelsea and Liz would make a good pair! I love the accents they put on the words. I know absolutely no italian other than the obvious, hello and goodbye!!!

Bath - haven't had the time to ring centre management yet, everytime I think to do it, something comes up and I forget. Glad you are letting the madness wash over you, thats all you can do sometimes. I don't have a furniture pusher, thankfully. She did try to do it early on but found the stuff too hard to move so gave up. Both of my girls have never been into opening drawers either, which I know bugs so many parents. We don't have any child proof cupboards, they just don't seem to be interested. They do like pulling every single thing out of the toy boxes and covering the floor with it. Hope you find a stressful solution to weaning, if you really want to do it. I can understand how hard it must be, but I am sure you will get through it. Take it one day at a time. How nice that you and DH got to go to a restaurant for lunch, that must have been great. You deserve to treat yourself more often. Glad the boys are enjoying their time at day care.

Ali - fingers crossed for you that the new formula and Zantac works. If it doesn't you can ask your GP to prescribe Pepti Junior, which is a prescription only formula for reflux, similiar to AR and HA formula's just broken down even more. My GF went through absolute hell with her DD, tried what you are and more but nothing worked. Finally the new formula did the trick and no more sleepless nights. Hope life starts becoming fun again for you all.

Jaspen - Melb is having a bit of a cold snap at the moment, heater on last night. So weird in the middle of winter. Sorry to hear you are suffering with the heat. Are you still geting the bad rain?

Tali - where are you? Have noticed you MIA for a while.

Rory - how did DH go with his interview? How's work?

My life has been super hectic this week. Last weekend I was running a new student orientataion day and today and tomorrow is another one!!! I really enjoy doing them, just sucks it takes up most of my Saturday. I wasn't supposed to go tomorrow but I am needed and thankfully my wonderful DH was able to take the day off work so I could go. Work itself has been very busy getting the preparations for this workshop ready. Will be so glad when its all over. Marley has been sick the past few days with a nasty cold. She didn't go to day care today but she is getting better, just has a very dry cough.

Hi to everyone else and hope everyone has a great weekend.

time for a new thread everyone

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678