Chemical Pregnancy – Symptoms Of A Chemical Pregnancy
|Pregnancy Week (Select):|
Chemical Pregnancy – Symptoms Of A Chemical Pregnancy
A chemical pregnancy is another term to describe an early miscarriage that occurs within the first five weeks of pregnancy. Chemical pregnancies are quite common. Around half of all first pregnancies are thought to end in miscarriage, and a chemical pregnancy is thought to be the cause of most of these.
Why Is It Called A ‘Chemical Pregnancy’?
It is called a chemical pregnancy because it occurs at a time when only a chemical test could have picked up the pregnancy. An ultrasound would not have led to a pregnancy confirmation. This early in the pregnancy, only a biochemical test could have confirmed the pregnancy.
Causes Of Chemical Pregnancy
Chemical pregnancies can occur for a number of reasons, including:
- Uterine abnormality
- Inadequate lining of the uterus
- Fetal chromosomal abnormality
- Hormonal deficiency
- Luteal phase defect – the uterus is not in the correct phase to allow implantation
- Blighted ovum
Symptoms Of Chemical Pregnancy
Some women may not realise they are pregnant, and as such may not know when a chemical pregnancy occurs. For this reason, it is hard to know the exact number of women affected by this condition. If you are trying to conceive and are monitoring your ovulation and menstrual cycles, you are more likely to notice that a chemical pregnancy has occurred.
Possible symptoms include:
- Late period
- Light period
- A positive pregnancy test
- Vaginal bleeding
- Decreasing hCG levels in your blood
- Abdominal cramps
Diagnosis And Treatment of Chemical Pregnancy
To diagnose chemical pregnancy, your doctor will test the hCG levels in your blood a number of times. If a decrease in hCG levels is found, this will confirm that you are not pregnant. An ultrasound scan may be performed to check for an implanted embryo. If this is not found, a chemical pregnancy will be assumed.
In most cases, the uterus will empty itself spontaneously after a chemical pregnancy. The bleeding experienced will be similar to your normal menstrual bleed, although may in some cases be heavier or last longer than normal.
Grief And Loss After Chemical Pregnancy
Many women may be unaware they have experienced a chemical pregnancy. However, the increased popularity of early pregnancy testing kits, means you are now more likely to be aware of the pregnancy. If you were excited to discover you were pregnant, then being diagnosed with a chemical pregnancy can be devastating. Although the pregnancy ended before implantation, that doesn’t make the loss or grief you may be experiencing any less real. Discuss your feelings with your partner, and with close friends or family. There are online and real life support groups that you can contact for help. Sometimes it helps to know you are not the only person experiencing loss or grief.
Getting Pregnant Again After Chemical Pregnancy
Most women who experience chemical pregnancies, go on to have healthy pregnancies. Chemical pregnancies do not cause any long term damage. You can start trying to get pregnant again immediately if you wish.
If you have suffered previous chemical pregnancies, you should speak to your healthcare provider. They may run tests to try and establish if there is a physical cause for repeated chemical pregnancies.
Follow Kelly, BellyBelly’s creator, on Google+ and become a fan of BellyBelly on Facebook. BellyBelly is also on Twitter. Please note that all of my suggestions and advice are of a generalised nature only and are not intended to replace advice from a qualified professional. BellyBelly.com.au – The Thinking Woman’s Website For Conception, Pregnancy, Birth and Baby.
More Pregnancy Articles
- 10 Big Pregnancy Blunders You Should Avoid
- 10 Ways Pregnancy Is Totally Overrated
- 11 Things You Should NOT Say To A Pregnant Woman
- 16 Common Side Effects During Pregnancy
- 40 Reasons To Give Baby 40 Weeks Of Pregnancy
- 9 Reasons Why You Should Choose Independent Birth Education
- Acne And Pregnancy – How To Deal With Acne In Pregnancy
- Alcohol During Pregnancy – Is It Safe To Drink Alcohol While Pregnant?
- Amniocentesis – What Is An Amniocentesis?
- Are You Prepared for Breastfeeding? Tips To Prepare For Success
- Baby Formula – What Baby Formula Makers Wont Tell You
- Baby Shower Games – 9 Fun Baby Shower Games
- Baby Shower Ideas – 7 Awesome Baby Shower Ideas
- Bleeding After Sex During Pregnancy
- Bleeding During Pregnancy – Causes of Bleeding During Pregnancy
- Blessingway – What Is A Blessingway?
- Boys Names – Baby Names For Boys
- Breakthrough Bleeding – What Is Breakthrough Bleeding?
- Breast Changes During Pregnancy
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome – Carpal Tunnel During Pregnancy
- Coffee and Pregnancy – Can You Drink Coffee During Pregnancy?
- Colouring Your Hair During Pregnancy: Is It Safe To Colour Your Hair?
- Constipation During Pregnancy – Remedies & Treatment For Constipation
- CVS (Chorionic Villus Sampling)
- Depression and Pregnancy – Depression In Pregnancy
- Doesn’t Feel Right? Speaking Up and How To Do It
- Doula – What Is a Doula And Why Do So Many Women Want One?
- Down Syndrome – Expecting a Baby With Down Syndrome
- Ectopic Pregnancy Symptoms – Signs Of Ectopic Pregnancy
- Essential Oils In Pregnancy – Which Essential Oils Are Safe To Use?
- Exercise And Pregnancy – Can I Exercise In Pregnancy?
- Flu Vaccine When Pregnant – Should I Get The Flu Vaccine?
- Flying When Pregnant – Tips for Flying When Pregnant
- Gas During Pregnancy – A Farty Problem
- Gender Dilemmas – Wanting a Boy – or a Girl
- Gender Disappointment – Tips For Coping With Gender Disappointment
- Gender Reveal Party Ideas – 16 Cool Gender Reveal Ideas!
- Genital Herpes – Giving Birth With Genital Herpes
- Gestational Diabetes – Treating Gestational Diabetes
- Girls Names – Baby Names for Girls
- Haemorrhoids – Treating Haemorrhoids in Pregnancy
- Hiring a Birth Attendant or Doula – Questions to Ask
- How Many Weeks Pregnant Am I?
- Internal Exams During Pregnancy and Labour – Are They Necessary?
- Irritable Uterus – What Is An Irritable Uterus In Pregnancy?
- Listeria and Pregnancy – What You Need To Know About Listeria
- Low Lying Placenta – What It Means To Have Low Lying Placenta
- Maternity Bra – When Should I Get A Maternity Bra?
- Miscarriage – What Is A Miscarriage And Why Do They Occur?
- Mocktail Recipes – Yummy Mocktails For Pregnancy
- MTHFR – Is The MTHFR Gene Mutation Affecting Your Pregnancy?
- Mucus Plug (Show) – What Is The Mucus Plug?
- No Period / Missed Period – Could I Be Pregnant?
- Nutrition in Pregnancy
- Obstetrician For Birth – 11 Questions To Ask
- Old Wives’ Tales and Pregnancy – Boy or Girl?
- Optimal Fetal Positioning – How It Helps You Have An Easier Birth
- Osteopathy and Pregnancy – How Osteopathy Helps
- Paid Parental Leave – How Much Is Paid Parental?
- Pelvic Girdle Pain (PGP) in Pregnancy
- Pets and Your Baby – Preparing Your Pet For A Baby
- Placenta Previa – What Is Placenta Previa?
- Postnatal Depression – Prevention & Treatment With Chinese Medicine
- Pre Natal Yoga
- Pre-Eclampsia in Pregnancy – Symptoms of Pre-Eclampsia
- Pre-Natal Testing & Screening
- Pregnancy Books – 4 Best Pregnancy Books
- Pregnancy Calculator – Try BellyBelly’s Pregnancy Calculator
- Pregnancy Photography – 10 Great Reasons To Have Pregnancy Photography
- Pregnancy Stages – The Three Pregnancy Stages
- Pregnancy Stress – 10 Tips For Dealing With Stress In Pregnancy
- Pregnancy Symptoms – 16 Early Pregnancy Symptoms
- Pregnancy Test – The Best Way To Do A Pregnancy Test
- Pregnancy Tickers – Countdown to Baby With A Pregnancy Ticker!
- Pregnancy Week By Week – What Happens During Pregnancy Week By Week
- Pregnancy Weight Gain – How Much Weight Is Normal?
- Pregnant Or Trying To Get Pregnant? First Signs Of Pregnancy
- Preventing Postnatal Depression – 8 BIG Tips That You Must Know NOW
- Private Health Funds Covering Midwifery and Homebirth
- Public, Private, Birth Centre or Home?
- Red Raspberry Leaf Tea In Pregnancy – Benefits of Raspberry Leaf
- Rhesus Negative Factor in Pregnancy
- Sciatica – Treatment Of Sciatica in Pregnancy
- Seeing the Dentist in Pregnancy
- Sex Toys During Pregnancy – Is It Safe?
- Shortness of Breath In Pregnancy – Are You Short Of Breath?
- Smoking During Pregnancy – FAQ’s on Smoking During Pregnancy
- Sore Ribs During Pregnancy – Relief for Rib Pain While Pregnant
- Stretch Marks – How To Get Rid Of Stretch Marks
- Tea During Pregnancy – Teas To Drink And Teas To Avoid
- The Importance Of Sleeping Position In Pregnancy
- Thrush During Pregnancy – Vaginal Thrush Symptoms And Treatments
- Unplanned Pregnancy – When Your Pregnancy Is More Shock Than Surprise
- Waxing During Pregnancy – Can You Wax While Pregnant?
- When Do You Start To Look Pregnant?
- When Does Morning Sickness Start? Morning Sickness FAQ’s
- Who Cares? Choosing a Model of Maternity Care
- Will Your Baby Be Born in a Baby Friendly Hospital?