Thread: coca cola and breast feeding

Default coca cola and breast feeding

question.
    is it true that drinking coke can dry up your milk supply?
    i love coke and drink a few glasses a day a friend if mine said it was general knowledge that it diminishes your milk supply as it has caffiene in it?????????????????????

I think caffiene is a diuretic and sugar can dehydrate you a bit so it might be a good idea to drink more water when you're drinking more coke. I drank coke and I never noticed it drying up my milk supply.

Hi - I saw the title of this one and thought it was going to be something really bad !

I'm a bit fond of a coke and ice on hot days, and other days, and I haven't noticed any change in supply. If anything, I think I have more milk wth this baby, probably nothing to do with the coke :-) Alex put on a kilo in the past two weeks.

Barb.

I have never hearf that one before. I would say if Chantelle is gaining weight & feeding well then dont worry about it

I was told to cut back on the coke only for the reason that the caffine passes into the breastmilk and may make bubs unsettled.

I didnt think it would dry up your milk.

I dirnk maybe a can a day and I havent noticed any difference in my supply.

I guess all things affect people differently though. It may do nothing to you and affect someone else.

If you feel your milk is good and Chantelle is putting on weight well then I wouldnt worry about it.

thanks girls,i thought it might have been an old wives tale
    your the best
    nikki

I have been told that it dries up your milk too,and i had to say with breastfeeding Dominic i gave it up completely the day i had him
    i however have noticed a huge difference in my supply this time,not sure whether it is just the not drinking Coke,but anyway...
    I have just started drinking it this last week again because he has weaned and i have stopped expressing for him now...
    i think if your supply is still fine and bub is putting on weight you shouldnt worry about it too much though,it is just if your supply starts to drop you maybe should look at it as a cause of it...
    *hugs* it is so hard to know what to do and not to do with all the tales floating around!