Thread: Manual stimulation for constipation

Default Manual stimulation for constipation

My MCHN always suggested when Eliza was a little bound up to try anal stimulation to prompt the bowels to open. She suggested lubrication and a finger. Well my hands are so big I could never bring myself to it. Talking to the pead he suggested a cotton bud. Almost straight away she opened her bowels. Just thought I'd share this with us mums with constipated kiddies
    Bec

My Mother in law whom is a nurse (in Bali) told Dh when he mentioned Indah had not pooed for a few days (she is exclusively Breast fed) to use a cotton bud dipped in oil...
    I did explain to him that a few days was normal in breastfed babies though & that afternoon she did a power poo everywhere...
    But my MCHN also said a few weeks is normal for breastfed babies & if I was worried to also do cottonbud & oil...

wow - i didnt know this! fascinating! i will remember it (definately just the cotton bud though :-s )

How interesting... I have never heard that before! Thats one to remember for the next bub then...

I've heard to stimulate without putting anything up there, you can massage around the tail bone. I've had the misfortune to be pooed on while wiping the bottom in this region so it may work.

I was told a thermometer so I suppose that's the same.

Never heard of this before either. Very handy..

Pietta Guest

wow how bizarre!!