Thread: Codral cold and flu tablets when breastfeeding?

Default Codral cold and flu tablets when breastfeeding?

I've got a wicked head cold and am dying slowly and not quietly lol. I was wondering if anyone knows whether Codral Cold and Flu tablets are ok when breastfeeding. My DD2 is 12days old so am really iffy about taking anything this early. It warns against taking Codral when pregnant but doesn't mention b/f.
    Can someone help me please? If if its just taking the night one to let me sleep tonight...

TIA ladies

Unfortunately I dont think you can There isnt a whole lot you can take whilst breastfeeding. It will mess with your supply and a small amt will pass to bubs. The best person to speak to would be the chemist or dr.

When I have been sick, I have put vicks on my chest, got the steam vaporiser out, stocked up on Vitamin C, and basically just grinned and beared it.

Hope you are feeling better soon

I don't know for certain, but I would suggest you err on the side of caution and don't take them just in case. Although I'm pretty sure there's a phone number you can call to make sure if you're desperate.
    I've been through the same thing, and panadol was my best and only friend, alas.
    Hope you feel better soon

Ah yes, forgot to say Panadol for any aches and pains!

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I wouldn't suggest you take it - apart from the risk of it passing through the bm you shouldn't take anything designed to dry you up as it's likely to have the same effect on your bm. Panadol is ok though.

Hope you feel better soon!

Nope, sorry! I had cold after cold while b/f and begged the pharmacy and the gp, but got plenty of "NO!!" . Saline solution up my nose (which achieved squat). Panadol and the odd tea with honey and lemon. Oh and I stuck my head over a bowl of boiling water for the steam too. Hope you feel better really soon.

Pseudoephidrine and phenylephrine will both make bubs "wired" and reduce your milk supply, sometimes irretrievably - so they are to be avoided.
    You can use nasal decongestant spray (the one I use contains oxymetazoline), paracetamol, ibuprofen and some expectorents.
    More info here: Breastfeeding and medications

If you have any queries about medicines and breastfeeding, call these (03) 9594 2361, which is the Southern Health obstetric drug info service (based at Monash Medical Centre) - they are really, really helpful and know their stuff - including more info than is generally available from GPs and pharmacists.

Thanks ladies...I thought that the pseudoephidrine would not be a good idea. Bugger....geez we woman have to suck up a lot of stuff when preg and b/f lol.

Panadol and steam here I come hehe

Someone needs to invent something BF women can take!! It's such a PITA!!
    hope you're feeling better soon.

have you got a vaporiser?? that and natural stuff like lemon and honey.
    i havent taken a cold and flu tablet in 4.5 years due to pregnancy and breastfeeding!

I'm still getting over a cold.The vaporiser does wonders, and keeping warm and not doing much also helps. Hope you feel better soon!

Hi Kate

Sorry, cold and flu tablets are no good for bfing mothers. The ingredients used to dry up the mucus can also affect bm supply (it's another bodily fluid). The same goes for many herbal remedies for cold and flu, with the exception of things like vitamin C and (I think) echinacea.

You can try using a vaporiser with a eucalyptus-based oil or similar in your room while you sleep, something like that on a tissue. Plenty of fluids and rest is about the only other thing that can help you.