Thread: Ceasarian necessary after prolapsed bowel?

Default Ceasarian necessary after prolapsed bowel?

Hi
    I am due to have my baby in January. After my last daughter was born I suffered a prolapsed bowel. I have had it repaired by a mesh rectopexy. So I have a piece of mesh holding my bowel against my back wall. My question is, is it possible to have a vaginal birth after having this operation?
    I am going to see my OB next week and just wanted to get some info before I go incase he insists on a ceasar. I am not totally opposed to having a ceasar if it is necessessary but would prefer a natural birth. I don't however want to risk having my bowel fall out again and taking the piece of mesh with it. The surgery to have it repaired was horrible. P.S. I am also 45 so am in a high risk catergory.
    Regards
    Lisa B.

Hi all
    Went to the Ob yesterday and he said I will be most likely be needing a ceasar. He wrote to the surgeon that did the bowel repair asking what he thinks, but he said he would be very surprised if it would be OK to have a vaginal birth as the mesh has no 'give' in it.He was very nice about it and said it would be a bit of a shame if I needed a ceasar as I have had 2 vaginal births previously, but he thinks this would be a much safer option.
    Just thought I would post this info here incase someone else is in the same situation.
    Regards
    Lisa B.

Good Luck Lisa and let us know how you get on.

im not preg but i have had a bowel op and have adhesions n iv asked my gynae n shes told me that if get preg i would more than need a ceaser as i have had bowel obstructions ect. the only other owrry is iam on morphine any body had any experiances with probs in pregnancy with adhesions and pain relief?? sorry to hyjack your thread
    take care rach xxx

Hi Rachel
    I'm happy to be highjacked. Hope you get some answers to your question.
    Kind Regards
    Lisa B.

I hope you get some answers soon Lisa. I had some pretty bad damage from my first birth. I have been told by my Ob the risk factor of having a vaginal birth. I am 60% likely to suffer permanent bowel damage if I went down the vaginal birth path again. To me that is way too big a risk so I have since had a cs and will do so with the twins.

Maybe if you can get a definative list of all the pros and cons from your dr it would help you make a decision. Goodluck.

Hi
    Just a quick update. I spoke to my OB, he recieved a letter back from the surgeon who did my bowel repair. The surgeon said the baby would probably be able to come out OK but it would more than likely undo the operation I had previously, which would mean redoing the bowel repair with an increased risk of failure.

Due to the increased risk of having my bowel fall out and not being able to be put back, I have decided to go with the ceasar, although if things were different I would definately not choose a ceasar.
    Lisa B.

im glad you finally got a desicion made. although you won't be giving birth the way you wan5 you are making the best decision for you and your baby.
    huni and good luck
    take care
    rach xxx
    Last edited by Footsteps; August 24th, 2008 at 09:43 PM. Reason: spelling

Hi Lisa - sorry to hear about the probs. It's good you have some answers now, so you can plan ahead. You don't want to do more damage.

Just my experience, different to your situation, but still maybe of some interest...I have had surgery twice prior to ever having babies (not for a prolapse but for severe haemmhroids - sp?). When I had my first baby my OB was happy for me to have a caeser at my request. I was scared and thought it best, but didn't have any medical evidence about it, except that he agreed to it. Second time around I did a lot of research and saw a different OB. I opted for a vaginal birth and knew that it might mean a lot of damage (but looked into all the ways of reducing the risks). In the end I had a vaginal birth and couldn't believe that there was no damage at all! I mean, I am still very damaged - but I already was!

Anyway, I know that situation is different to yours, and I'm not trying to sway your decision. I think it's good that you have answers from your doctors and that you can plan ahead. All the best.