Thread: Reflux & Mylanta

Stacey Guest

Default Reflux & Mylanta

Hi everyone,

Please post your experiences/remedies for reflux.

My 4mo dd has a puking prob and was thinking about using mylanta as I have tried all different formulas .. currently on Karicare AR which helps but she is still puking ....

Has anyone any other remedies or used Mylanta for bub ? and how much to give her ... I have heard it helps .... and to give it to bub before feeding ... ?

Thanks #-o

Update ... this morning I tried mylanta about 1 ml and it helped but early days yet

Hi Stacey,

Welcome to BB!

Having a reflux bub can be so complicated! Finding out what works... I used Mylanta for a few weeks with Matilda, we used 1ml before her morning & evening feeds. I did it within 15 minutes of feeding her. I found that going onto Karicare HA AR helped better than just AR as the HA is partially digested so it doesn't stick around in the belly as long iykwim?

Matilda was pretty bad and we wound up on Zantac from the Dr's perscription and that helped too.

I found that keeping her head upright at all times, giving her 30 minutes upright after a feed is still vital and trialling different things for a few days at a time to see if they work before giving up. I would try something new for 3-5 days and then made a decision, I found using Marina's mixture in her bottles helped as it helps settle reflux. I also found that using too many things at one time didn't help 8-[ I would only be able to settle her in her sling (hug-a-bub) and then later on her belly. It gets better...then worse...then better again and then eventually it goes. She's eight months old and now off medications HTH!

Stacey Guest

Hi again Christy,

Its so great to get feedback and I now know how frustrating and know how boring I must seem to alot of ppl cuz I keep going on about it ... I have been reading, searching, and posting to everyone about it.

I found the bottles and they are great. I also trial a new idea for a few days and see how she reacts to it and as I have horses I kind of know that you carn't try lots of things at once that you have to do it kind of scientifically to work out what is best....

I tried mylanta 1ml just before a feed it seemed to help but no all the time.... I was on Karicare AR just switched to Karicare HA-AR but it is not as thick as AR I thought it would be .... been on it for 2 days now and am seeing a little difference ... I notice though it smells different ... don't really like the smell ..... did you notice that ??

Thanks again for your input ...... I have been reading all about Matilda and your battles with reflux .... it is such an awful thing to deal with ... especially when I know how different life with your bub can be without it .... I also have a wonderful 14 year old daughter and we never suffered from reflux ...

Happy thoughts to you and Matilda .....

I am glad I found this site ...

Cheers
    Stacey

mmm I definatley noticed the smell as well... I think it has something to do with the being partially digested for them? Not sure though...

Stacey Guest

Hi Christy,

Did you notice the extra smell in her urine as well ???

Not sure now if she is teething as well ..... she has others signs of teething but not sure with this new formula .... running poos, fussy with her mouth and grizzly ....

Stacey

no I didn't notice any change in her wee... if you have definately think about the Dr because some forms of reflux can cause kidney problems.... there is urinary reflux as well, I'm not sure how that works with vomitting stuff, but I had to try and catch Matilda's wee for a week to test and make sure it was okay... also urinary infections in babies can cause runny poo's and fussiness as well...HTH

Stacey Guest

hmmmm .... I also rang and discuss the new formula direct to Karicare ..... her poos have changed to darker green and are running they suggest DR visit to ....

I heard can get strong smelly wee when they teeth ... which I think she is showing signs of ..... and running poos ....

Wow and to think reflux could come out the other end at the same time .... ugh my world just got alot messer ....

I think I will make an appointment .... just wanted her to settle into the new formula .....only been 3 days now ..... if it doesnt clear up I will get it checked out ....

Thanks for the info ...