Thread: Co-sleeping, breastfeeding and keeping warm: Any suggestions??

Default Co-sleeping, breastfeeding and keeping warm: Any suggestions??

Hi lovely Mummies, Daddies and anyone else,

Well, the cold weather is upon us and as a co-sleeping, breastfeeding mumma I'm feeling a bit chilly at night. As fellow co-sleepers will be aware, you aren't meant to use a doona (risk of overheating/smothering??...), so I've got the sheets up to my waist (covers DS) and the doona on my legs therefore leaving my shoulders and neck getting cold.

Has anyone got any suggestions on how to keep a bit warmer? What do you wear if you're feeding off/on during the night (lying down)? I've started heating the room (I'll ignore the bill $$), but "they" say the ideal nursery temp is 18*C - that's still a bit chilly...

Does anyone use a doona? My DH said our poor DS is probably freezing if he doesn't have the doona on him.... hmmm

DH, DS amd I sometimes co-sleep but in aircon as we live in Darwin but it can get a bit chilly. We put DS in a singlet and grow suit/full length one piece and thats enough for him. For yourself what about a jumper or a cardi if it's easier to BF?

For bub you could even look at a baby sleeping bag, I think they are also called grow bags, not sure.

I used a cheap, light, acrylic blanket (from BigW for $15)
    and made a kind cape out of it. Cut into it lengthways, stopping at the halfway mark. Then you have two flappy pieces at the front, and the uncut bit of the blanket covers your back.
    I still use it and I'm not breastfeeding anymore! It's just easier and more comfortable than an uncut blanket.
    Last edited by Trillian; April 30th, 2008 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Removing Picture - Please read FAQ's

Hi Macca,

Thanks for your reply. I've got a grobag that I put DS for the first part of the night when he sleeps in his hammock. When he comes in with me I take it off as it would make him too hot....argh! I think I'll try my flannie PJ top tonight (buttons at the front).

Hi Nickel, cool drawing! (how did you add that???). Anyway, did you sew up the side seams, or just leave it loose (like an open-fronted poncho)?

Open fronted poncho, no side seams!! so it's still really a blanket. I did have a moment of craftiness and blanket edged the bit I had cut. Completely and utterly out of character, I must have been a bit manic...

Makes it really easy for breastfeeding as you stay a LOT more covered than any cardy etc. can cover you - your back is covered, your tummy and shoulders stay covered. (yeah both my babies were born in the middle of winter!!)

So Nickel, you used this to feed lying down? (that's how I feed in the middle of the night).

Gigi is offline BellyBelly Life Member - Love all your MCN friends
    Add Gigi on Facebook

i have baby in her own sleeping bag (sleeveless, and cotton - cos the polar fleece lined sleeping bags make her sweat so much)

for me, i wear a pj top (no buttons) and a soft windcheetah. I feed on my side too, just pull up top to give my baby access.

Oh dear...no doona? I'd freeze without ours! I guess cause our baby doesn't wriggle down yet it's been okay but how on earth will I survive winter without it?? I should read up better on safe cosleeping...

I wear flanelette button up pjs so the top can be opened up but I can still pull it around me (unlike tops that you pull up).

ETA: We put our son right at the top of the bed between our pillows so the doona covers my shoulders and up to his waist. Then he's in a bonds wondersuit and a wrap.
    Last edited by meow; April 30th, 2008 at 03:31 AM.

I only bring Oliver in to bed when he wakes (anywhere from 5am) but I have two blankets - a doona, and a throw. The doona covers all three of us, and I use the throw over my upper body but not over Oliver. Hubby doesn't seem to notice the cold.

I wear flanellette PJ's over a breastfeeding singlet so that the only bit uncovered is the boob being fed from - that keeps my shoulders, arms and belly from freezing.

I do what Ren does, but yeah Melody - I did use it for lying down.
    where did my picture go??