Thread: The horizontal co-sleeping toddler

Matryoshka Guest

Default The horizontal co-sleeping toddler

I need help!

DS has started to sleep horizontally and no matter how many times i move him back to vertical he will go straight back to the horizontal position! Basically his feet to dh and his head to me!

We are both sleeping in the tiniest of areas and with my tummy getting bigger i just haven't got the room, its so uncomfortable.

Any ideas?

FluffyLaRue Guest

Nope but my comiserations! I did my last pregnancy with a co-sleeping boobie addicted horizontal toddler, and I am currently in bed with my 'baby' who is nearly 2, and sleeps in the exact same posi.

I kicked DH out of our bed last pregnancy, that made all the difference...

Oh I'm hearing you on that one! Both of mine had turns of co-sleeping horizontally.

DS loved to do this - some mornings he's horizontal in his cot.

DH never slept with us and DS prefers to sleep alone *sob* - can't really suggest anything apart from asking if your DS wants to try sleeping in his own bed. Ooooh, or you and DH could join him in the horizontal position? Would that work?

Matryoshka Guest

We did introduce his own bed about 4 months ago but he only sleeps in it if he wants to, so sporadically. With recent bouts of teething and growing he's been preferring to be back in our bed. I just can't figure out why he is turning?? he has plenty of room between us...

We're only in a queen size so we couldn't all sleep horizontally! It's tiring because i wake up with a head on me or digging in to me and dh has feet on him or in him!

Sounds like there is only room for one man in the bed now....DH will have to sleep on the couch maybe while teething and all. It's not forever....and I know I love when my DS sneaks in on weekends and cuddles his head to mine and feet to daddy HEHE....maybe there is a daddy's girl on the way and the opposite will happen later on.

Nothing to do with this thread - just had to say: Isabella - that is the cute'est picture ever!!!!!!

On second thought - Try having him sleep on a mattress in your room? That way he is near enough, but not really a little bed bug. (Silly advice - Can you tell that mine has not done this yet???? :P )

Nadine congratulations on your DD first bday coming up in a few days. Thanks about the picture. I love my two little butts!

That's a good thought...a spare mattress or bed in the room, for either DS or DH?

Thanks! I am going to take a pic like that of dd tonight - just before I pop her in the bath - it's a classic

I did not even think of putting DH on a mattress but it's a good thought - on that note, if you have the room, you can even shove a single bed NEXT to the queen and make a HUGE bed that you can sleep on vertically, horisontal, up, down accross, like star fish!!

We have a futon roll that I often resort to if the bed gets too crowded. Also I have a theory that some people prefer to sleep in a certain compass direction. I have always preferred to sleep East/West... head to the east. Our bed and the cot are oriented the same way (east/west) but in different rooms so I think this keeps us all used to sleeping the same way.

Maybe your toddler doesn't like having mum or dad breathing in their face? I know that i can't sleep facing DH, same with him. Turning horizontal could be the child's solution to this? Maybe settle them with their face up higher (closer to the headboard) and move down a fraction yourself? I used to do this with our newborns for safety as well. making sure they had their own crib blanket as well.

Our DD was a horizontal sleeper so we have a single bed right next to our double bed. It is musical beds at our place every night depending on who goes to bed first and who is getting kicked most during the night!