Thread: Metformin worries

jaisling Guest

Default Metformin worries

Has anyone experienced the following? I wonder if this is normal or if I should consult my doctor...

I have been taking Metformin for about 4 months now (about 3x/day for PCOS per my doctor's instructions). I do my best to not eat a lot of sugar unless it's in the form of natural sugar, like fruits for example. But yesterday, I slipped and had a slice and a half of apple pie. Immediately afterwards, I felt sick to my stomach and became EXTREMELY tired! So tired in fact that I had to lay down and didn't get up until about 4 hours later!

Is this a normal reaction when taking Metformin and eating large amounts of sugar? I'm a little worried. Is it "lactic acidosis" or something else? Thanks for your help!

Jaisling, to have that kind of reaction to eating something with high carb content on top a dose of metformin is extremely normal, particularly in the early days. How long have you been on it?

I remember for the first six months or so, after I'd managed to work myself up to the full dose, I would get extremely painful stomach cramps followed by a nasty case of the runs if I ate pasta at the same time as my metformin. Things have settled now that I've been on it for nearly two years, but I'm sure that is because I've adjusted my diet to be much lower in carbs - I tend to stick with protein and lots of fruit and vegies now. If I slip up and start eating foods with a high carb content for a few days running, then I get problems.

I hope this helps.

BW

jaisling Guest

Thanks for your reply, BW. It really helps!

Jaisling

I never had that reaction on MET- but had every other reaction under the sun! I used to get the runs on it no matter what I ate or drank!