Thread: No EWCM, no egg?

Question No EWCM, no egg?

Hi,

I seem to be posting a lot lately, everyday a different question pops into my head! I was just wondering if you HAVE to have EWCM to conceive? I have PCOS with irregular periods and i don't get EWCM. Can sperm still reach the egg without it? Or does no EWCM mean no egg at all?

TTC is so confusing sometimes!

Anyone?

Not sure.
    It is possible to have EWCM and not actually be aware of it if it doesn't *ahem* gloop out.
    If you do have it, it is a good sign of rising estrogen levels, which might indicated fertility. It's not always the case however.

I have read on forums that some girls dont get much CM during their cycle or do not get ECWM but still ovulate (strangly this is something talked about on forums but I have never discussed it with my friends LOL). I think it would be better to try a few methods in trying to identify ovulation like OPKs or charting your temperature. Have you been over to the fertility friend website? There is heaps of info on there about ovulation and temping. I dont think ECWM is always "essential" to pregnancy happening, but it is probably a good sign of ovulation and helps the sperm swim up to the egg. But we are all different so it would not surprise me if some people didnt get it.

Thankyou Marcellus & Maisy,

I'm positive i don't have EWCM, I may be about to ovulate some time between now and the next week (unsure as my cycles are irregular) but tonight i have what i think are O pains in my left side. I do have CM, but just plain old CM, not EW. Since OPK'S and EWCM don't work for me pains are the only thing i can maybe rely on. I will check out the fertility friend website Maisy. I am due to start clomid next month so this is my last shot to try naturally

Just wanted to give some hope. Normally I get good amounts of EWCM around ovulation, along with ovulation pain (which I must say I never used to get until a few yrs ago) Anyway I didnt think I had any chance of becoming pg due to being sooooo dry, then I ended up with a lovely surprise approx 9dpo (going by the pain) A bfp. I am currently 27wks pg. BTW this wasnt even a planned pgcy.

Csab, I guess there is hope.
    I just assumed that if there was no EWCM then i wouldn't conceive. Can't say if i have in the past because i have only been off BC for 14 months, 3 of which i have been really really trying so i never noticed before. Thank you and good luck with your pgcy

Hi Tasha, I haven't had EWCM since late december, just prior to conceiving angel #5. I didn't have any EWCM, just a bit of wet CM at the start of my cycle in late Feb/early March with Angel #6 and again in July (I thought I was O'ing in July when I really wasn't - you can have a look at my Fertility Friend Chart if you like, it's still in my Sig), then creamy CM & sticky CM after the real O, and I got UTD both times even though only one has stayed sticky. I'm now 14wks, so no CM doesn't always mean you won't conceive HTH's And I hope you get your sticky BFP very soon! It took me 11 months to get this one.

Hi JennaJayen,
    That makes me feel more positive. I hate relying on ovulation pains because everywhere i read it says not to rely on them, or they don't get a mention at all! And they are all i have I hope i can get a BFP soon and stop worrying myself. Thanks & good luck

Hi Tasha
    I just had to post! I have never had ewcm around O time either, altho i was on clomid which apparently dries it up.. its always been a creamy/whitish colour at any time of the month! But the month i got my bfp i used a lubrication called Preseed.. you shld give it a go! I have never needed lube but i heard that it helps the little swimmers find there way to the egg.. so it was worth a try! My dh joked afterwards that someone elses sperm is in it and thats why we fell pg U can only get it off the internet im pretty sure.. ill just google it for u and put the link on here. Give it a go even when u are on the clomid next month if u dont fall this month. I also took 3 capsules of evening primrose oil from af to O time.. that apparently helps ur body to produce fertile cm too. Everything is worth a shot!!

No problem Tasha.

You'll get that BFP, I'm sure of it.

I temped for 9 months, so I got a good idea of when I was Oing from that, and most months were reasonably regular - around 28 to 31 days - but losing angels 5 & 6 messed everything up.

My march/april cycle was 39 days long, and the cycle that gave me my BFP was supposed to have been 34 days, so everything was just wonky.

I'd had an ultrasound of my ovaries done in Feb as I was constantly cramping after the january loss and they thought there was some retained product of conception in there - there wasn't though - and I had some largish ovarian cysts - 7mm was the largest - but there wasn't enough of them to diagnose PCOS or anything like that, so I was left hanging wondering what was going on and what was causing all the problems and my doctor at the time refused to do any more tests as I was young (I'm now 23) and had the rest of my life ahead of me to have more kids. He was a foriegn doctor too, and I find that a lot of foriegn doctors don't consider a young woman in her early 20's to have a problem until she has been TTC for 2 years or more.

Have a good night darl

Hi Reet, I will definitely give pre-seed a go. I did mention it to DH the other day, i think he gets a bit overwhelmed by all the CM chat. I try to keep it simple for him! Nice theory that your DH came up with Did you only get creamy/white CM before you were on clomid? Thanks for the link too

Jenna, I'm sorry for your loss I waited 3 months to see an obgyno and he just told me to get more blood tests. I already had some done and i had an ultrasound, but it wasn't enough. Then he said come back in 6 weeks! I'm still waiting so just trying to get as much info as i can in the mean time. They don't really care unless your in your 30's or older. I'm 28 and deciding on a career change at the end of the year, but i can't commit to anything in case i fall PG. In this day and age pgcy needs to be planned!

I didnt notice my cm changing once i was on the clomid.. it always kinda stayed whitish.. there was just different times of the month that it dried up a bit i guess.. but it was never when it was meant to like after O time.. my body was all over the place basically.. i cldnt read any of its fertile signs!
    Word of advice.. sort urself out with the preseed before bding! I thought i wld get my dh involved and let him be there and kinda help me to insert it.. big turn off for him i think!
    Good luck on the clomid if you end up needing it.. i loved it! I really dont believe my body wld have known what to do without it!
    x

Absolutely there is hope! In my 2.5 years of ttc i have never been able to use CM as an indication of the stages of my cycle. Yes i had CM but it never seemed to be here nor there and I especially never found EWCM. Same when ttc on natural cycles and on clomid. The only thing that ever helped me pinpoint O was when I was temping. Good luck, fingers crossed for a BFP waiting for you soon.

AJC, that is good to know! All i ever hear about is EWCM. I had to google pics just to see exactly what all the fuss what about! Thank you

Tasha - I never had EWCM, but on my first month of using pre-seed, I got pregnant. It helps the sperm get through, particularly when there is no mucus to help it through.

And I agree with Reet... try not to give your partner TOO much info and insight, it'll become like a chore instead of fun and special.