Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: why is my 3 month old waking at 4am almost every day?

hun DD1 was 6 months before she slept more than 2 hours at night.... then at 9 months it changeda nd at 12 months again it changed.

DD2 was much more regular, but she did it herself... and still at over 2 wakes 3 out of 7 nights at least once.

I'm replying with this as this is in the gentle parenting section

Honestly, I understand you are worried, but he sounds completely normal...actually much better than normal at 3 months old. I have four kids, and none of them were ever sleeping those long blocks of sleep, still aren't.

One big thing I've learned after having this many kids is this: something like this, is only a problem if you feel it's a problem. ONce I relaxed and just accepted what will be for now, it stopped being a problem. The best thing you can do right now is to go with the flow, your baby is waking up because that's just him right now and this is just his unsettled period. Most babies have an unsettled period in the day, this might be just his right now. I think he's doing absolutely brilliantly for his age. And I don't know if understood it correctly, but CIO at his age is really not advisable.

If this unsettled period is disturbing your sleep, have you thought of either, setting up a bed in his room where you can lie down and reach over to tend to him when he is unsettled, ie puttin ghis dummy back in. Or have him in your room and do the same. Or even have him in your bed from 4am onwards. Seriously, I would have never ever slept without co sleeping LOL.

He's doing so well, and I think I would almost be worried if he didn't have an unsettled period in a day! the problem with routines when a baby is so young is that it doesn't allow for anything that might throw it, ie sickness, or even personality, and when things dont' go to plan, ti's very upsetting and unsettling for the parents.

I think just relaxing, let him do what he needs to do and think of ways around that to help you if you aren't coping, rather than trying to do whatever you can to get him to sleep those few extra hours, just do what you need to do to deal with his unsettled period and probably accept this is just him right now.

Good luck xx

Well after his dream feed which I think DH did at midnight, he did not start winging till 4.10am so I went in and put his dummy in and then went into the kitchen to heat up his bottle. When I cam back in he was sound asleep. My gut instinct was to leave him there, if he was hungry he would be squirming and winging. So I sat and watched him for a while and decided to leave him and go back to bed. Of course then I couldn't sleep cause I was thinking about him, so I got up and have been doing some work. He is the next room to my office and he is pretty quiet other than the odd sleep sound babies make. He dropped his dummy once which made him winge so I put it back in and he has been fine since. Its now 6am so in another hour he is due for his morning feed anyway.

Not sure what all this means. Perhaps he has some movement in his gums that enough to disturb him when he is moving from one sleep cycle to the next... he is dribbling heaps and chomping on his fists a lot.

Your right Aranah, I seriously think your right. We won't see this as a problem if we just accept that this is what he will do. I will chat to DH when he gets up about perhaps adjusting our attitude a bit. He is a wonderful little boy and I am very impressed with his manner.

As for co-sleeping, I tried that and I certainly couldn't sleep cause all his sleep noises kept me awake. He grunts, groans, squeels and often laughs. He is very noisey. I would love to be snuggled up to him so I could smell him and feel him but that wont help me sleep I am afraid. So for now I think I will just end up sleeping on the lounge after he wakes at around 4am so I am not disturbing DH sleep when he drops his dummy.

Thanks again for all your encouragement and positive comments. Sometimes you really don't know what the norm is and it make sit hard to know where you are at until someone explains it to you.

I took JD to the Dr this morning to have a look at his skin irritation and he said he has excema and the skin under the arm pits is infected and he prescribed an antibiotic cream. I applied it this afternoon and about 30 minutes later he was screaming uncontrollably like I have never seen before. I tried Panadol and that did nothing. I put him the bath and tried to wash the cream off. He cried and cried and so did I. Once I had dried him and put his wondersuit on and wrapped him and rocked him for a while he finally calmed down and went to sleep and is still asleep.

I feel so terrible. I thought I was doing the right thin by taking him to the Dr and getting him the cream and I only made it worse. I feel like such a terrible mother. I just want to sleep with him tonight now cause I can't bare to be away from him.

hun it is really hard and you sound really stressed. I know for the first year of DD1's life it was awful. She screamed alot. In fact, she had silent reflux... when she turned 3 we found that she had a severe milk allergy which caused the reflux. We found out because DD2 had ezcema and we found out was allergic to cows milk... so an elimination diet and yep... cows milk it was for our family.

I wasn't to know when DD1 was a baby, there wasn't much else so I followed GP's and paediatrician advice. I stopped breastfeeding, I tried co-sleeping, I tried CC, I was desperate to get more than 40 minutes sleep. Its hard, and its easy to blame yourself, but you can only follow the advice given to you or trust your instincts... hun keep listening to yourself and what you think is right.

Default How are you going???

How are you going puppies? Hopefully things have settled down for you and you are getting more sleep - it's really hard work trying to settle in with a new baby. My DD1 was a shocking sleeper and I really felt that it was something I was doing wrong and tried every suggestion/routine I could - but all that did was mean I felt worse. She is almost 3 and is still not sleeping through (sorry - but she is also not the only one!). I am just doing what she needs as things come up - hugs and resettle etc.

DD2 is a completely different baby - a sleeping machine! But we have ignored all books/advice and tried to fit with her cues rather than a prescribed routine. I also go to bed ASAP after everyone is asleep rather than stay up later - poor DH is a bit ignored but it's only for a short time.

Your baby is very lucky to have such a concerned and caring Mum - make sure you look after yourself and celebrate your successes. I really regret getting caught up in comparing myself and DD1 to others experiences instead of just enjoying those early days together.

Let us know how you are doing...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12