Thread: Do ALL babies get upset tummies when starting solids?

Default Do ALL babies get upset tummies when starting solids?

Hey guys,

I met a friend today who has a baby who is 5 weeks older than missy. She started her baby on solids at 4 months. She was asking me today how DD was going on solids and i told her we'd tried them for a few days but they gave her an upset tummy and made the reflux worse so I decided to wait till 6 months.

She told me that all babies get upset tummies when starting solids and that it was no reason for me to stop them, if anything I should have stuck with it to let her get used to it (my thinking was "what? get used to a sore tummy?).

Is this true? I mean, even if it is, Im not going to rush out tomorrow and get her loads of food, I still intend on waiting another few weeks. But just wanted to check out with people who KNOW.

Thanks
    Sue x

depends what you mean by "upset tummy". Adding solids = solid pooh = have to get used to actually pushing out solid pooh = somewhat unsettled baby for a few days or even a week.

There shouldn't be seriously unhappy baby though, and vomiting and other "upset tummy" things shouldn't happen either.

No, DD didn't get an upset tummy or anything when she started. We did BLS too.

Good point. DD was unsettled enough for me to know that she wasn't feeling well and her reflux came back with a passion. It's gone again now that we are just back BF. She didn't poo AT ALL in the week that we had solids, so it wasn't just a case of getting used to hard poos. There was nothing but smelly farts and grizzling.

Thanks Kmn xx

Posted at the same time Heaven!! Thanks for that, it's good to know.

Hehe, I told her about baby led weaning and got some raised eyebrows. *sigh*

S X

Nope none of mine have had upset tummies - and they have all had some form of reflux - and the two girls were started with BLS - only DS was with the mushy stuff

Neither of mine had upset tums either. Good on you for doing what was right for your bub!

With my DS2 I started him on solids around 6 months, but he had a very very unsettled time, which I knew was from the food, so I stopped for a few weeks, and waited for his digestive system to grow a bit more then we started again. He was much happier the second time, but we still took things slowly. Each baby is different, and I agree, if you think it is the food, stop, wait a bit and start again. They dont need the food at that age... "Food is fun until they are one". I just repeat that to anyone bothering me about food. Good luck. xo

None of mine have had upset tummies either. Some had mush, some BLS.

Thanks everyone!!

Sue x

I'm another saying that DS didn't get an upset tummy and we introduced solids BSL style too

I had this same issue with R when i first started him on solids so like you i stopped them and tried again a few weeks later and things have been fine this time around.

I don't agree at all that bubs needs to get used to having an upset tummy, i mean if something was giving us an upset tummy we are hardly going to keep eating it are we - so why would you keep feeding it to a baby! It's quiet obvious that the solids are causing Missy pain and the reflux flares back up again....your doing the right thing darl in just going back to BF she will be ready for solids in her own time - don't worry what anyone else has to say, she is your baby.

Take care x

Thanks babe!
    I feel sorry for my friend's little man - he had a sore tummy for 2 weeks!!!

Sue xxx

We did BLS from just before 6 months and had no problems with upset tummies either... I think if they're not ready, then you should give it time and wait till they are, after all, food is for fun until they're one!

Nope, no upset tummy here. We started at 6 mths, DD wasn't much interested and we went with BLS. She really started eating at about 7-8 mths. Seems she knew better than I (or the books) when she was ready.

Actually, one of the reasonings behind BLS is that a baby's digestive system is ready for food other than bm between the ages of 6 and 9 mths. That's quite a range!

We started with BLS just before 6 months & never had any tummy issues

Solids made DS1 reflux worse, worse because he was now bringing up the solids as well as milk feeds, not worse in the pain sector. But no upset tummy or anything. He started with mushy stuff.

DS2 started with mushy stuff but much preferred to feed himself, by 7 months he was BLS. No upset tummy and his reflux had been cleared up for about 2 months prior to starting solids.

Sally, I found that DD's reflux got worse too. Am hoping that it doesn't next time we try.

Thank you for your responses everyone. I'm just waiting on my Baby Led Weaning book to arrive any day now. I have no idea how to start this at all!!

Sue xxx