Thread: IVF cycle and use of progesterone pesseries

calico Guest

Default IVF cycle and use of progesterone pesseries

Hi everyone I'm new to this site and was hoping someone who has been on IVF before may be able to help me. I am currently day 11 post egg transfer and was curious as to the use of progesterone pesseries. I understand the one of the effects of progesteron is to delay your period, so my question is if I manage to get to day 16 and still no period does that mean that I'm pregnant or is there no period because of the progesterone? I'm sorry of I sound a little nieve but this my first IVF cycle and I don't want to get my hopes to much. thanks heaps

Hi Calico and welcome,

Sorry I just replied to this and lost my post! Grrr. I'll try again.

Basically, yes, progesterone pessaries can delay the period because their purpose is to artificially maintain your endometrium. The only way to tell if you are pg is to go in to the clinic for a blood test. Everything I have read says that no matter what, you must do that because other symptoms cannot be relied upon.

Hope that helps.

Love,

Mel

Sal Guest

Hi Calico, yes being on prog pessaries means that you won't get your period, so a BT is the only way of determining whether you are pg or not. If you are not pg then if it is a BFN then you stop the pessaries and you get your period in about 3 or so days. If a BFP then I think you continue on pessaries to about 12w pg.

I was always on progesterone and always got my period. I found that if I had a trigger to release,my period always fell almost to the day of the 2ww, on FET cycles it might of been out 1 or 2 days. But then again my cycles were never spot on. Progesterone gave me a heavier period as it thickened the lining making it a nice place to implant.
    Good luck

Hi Calico

I was on the pessaries but still got my period - they made me keep taking them though until I had my BT, as that is the only way they can be sure. Best of Luck for you, let us know how you get on.

ann Guest

Did any of you girls get cramps after ET using pessaries. I ask this cause I am 6 days post FET and I have been having cramps every day. I was wondering whether it was because of the pessaries or something else.
    After our first ET I was on crinine gel and didn't have any cramping.

Ann

Sal Guest

Nope, pessaries did not give me cramps.

Sooooo....wonder if something is going on in there :bluestick: inkstick:

Ann, I used pessaries for my past 2 IUIs and never got cramping.
    Hoping the best for you!

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

Ann,

I do get cramps on pessaries. But this is not to say that your you-know-whats are not burrowing. Am anxiously waiting on your HPT, matey.

love
    sushee

ann Guest

Oh well, fingers and legs crossed.

Ann