Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Circumcision in Australia

Default Circumcision in Australia

OK, I know this is a controversial one. I'd just like information and am not looking to start a debate. I'm pregnant and have just discovered I am having a boy. My husband is Australian and wants him circumcised. I also like to do this very much but am slightly worried about him being the odd one out at school. At the moment we are living in the UK but will be moving next year to Sydney because of my husband's work. Experiences of any mothers who have had their boys circumcised would be really welcome! Is he the odd one out among his friends? Has it caused any problems or is he cool with it? Thanks and please don't lets turn this into a debate.

Circumcision is no longer the norm in Australia. Your son will not be the odd one out if he is not circumcised, in fact he's more likely to be the odd one out if he is, but I don't know how much time boys spend checking out one anothers' genitals anyway.

There are lots of good reasons not to circumcise and no really good ones in favour, imo.

Best wishes with your decision.

Hi alexmoving and welcome.

I too was going to have my DS1 circumsised. My OB said it was rare these days and usually done at around 6-8wks under a general and he would refer me to someone. In the end I didn't go ahead after I had him, It was just soemthing I didn't think of again after I had him. I am not sure on those who have had it done, the only thing I am aware of is that it is very uncommon now and you would need to do do your research on Dr's who are willing to do it without a medical or religious reason.
    HTH

I have no idea about stats, but I don't think it's that unusual to be uncut. He wouldn't be the odd one out.

I dont think its uncommon or common you either do it or you dont, its a personal decision. There are not a lot of doctors who do it now but they will refer you to someone who does. Your son wont be the odd one out whether he is done or not.
    Just recently I have known a few older boys aged 10-13 who have had to be circumcised later in life due to problems which was obviously more traumatic for them being older than if they were babies. Learn the pros and cons and go from there.

Either way, I don't think he would be the odd one out. I really think it would depend on where you are going to live because there would be different areas where circumcision is higher and areas where it is lower, but I think it would be very nearly 50-50. My DS's aren't done and DS1 (nearly 10) has never said that he has been singled out at school because he isn't and that they just don't look at each other. As he told me once when I asked him "Mum, we don't go in the toilet and talk about our peckers or look at them if that's what you're asking" LOL. So it seems like it's a non-even to the boys themselves. Good luck with your decision, it's not an easy one to make

Quote Originally Posted by Salad View Post
    I dont think its uncommon or common you either do it or you dont, its a personal decision. There are not a lot of doctors who do it now but they will refer you to someone who does. Your son wont be the odd one out whether he is done or not.
    Just recently I have known a few older boys aged 10-13 who have had to be circumcised later in life due to problems which was obviously more traumatic for them being older than if they were babies. Learn the pros and cons and go from there.
    Well, no. Rates vary between 20% and 5%, depending on which state you are in, as far as I've been able to determine. So, most boys won't be circumcised, whichever way you cut it. (Pardon the pun.)

I feel like posting the article I read lately that was recommending routine toe removal. Because, you know, people have to have their toes removed sometimes in later life, and it's much more traumatic than getting it done when you're a newborn. (It's a parody.) Why is it more traumatic for a thirteen year old to be circumcised? Because they can talk about it?

I don't think he'll be the odd one out. No odder than being the kid with glasses or the kid who runs fast.
    If he lives in the Eastern suburbs in Sydney or any area with a high Jewish or Muslim population he might be the odd one out if he's not circumcised.

How much time do boys at school spend looking at each others' penises anyway?

There are times that I worry about my boy being the odd one out or not fitting in but never because of his penis.

Both my boys were circumcised before 8 weeks. I had no issues finding Drs to do it. In fact I had a choice of Drs, settings, anesthesia and methods. They didn't appear particularly traumatised to me but what would I know, I'm just their Mum

Quote Originally Posted by Onyx View Post
    There are times that I worry about my boy being the odd one out or not fitting in but never because of his penis.
    I hope not!

Can I remind all our members that the OP said she didn't want any debate. Please stick to answering the questions raised in the first post. My suggestion is that if you have posted once in this thread to reply to the OP there is no need for any further posts.

DS15 was circumcised when he was 6 for medical reasons. As others have said boys don't look at each other in that way and has never had any problems.

Regards,
    Dianne

Hi DH and I did our research and decided to get our son circumcised and have absolutely no regrets. I'm not sure of the official stats but out of my friends, a group of 8 boys, we are 50/50. When chatting about it at work we are approx 50/50 but like it's been mentioned it really depends on where you'll live as to what the stats are there. I had no problem at all finding a dr to do it. Actually, we had to go on a waiting list. I am more than happy to PM you about my experience if you would like. Good luck with your decision.

Oh you're brave posting about circumcision, especially in BB! bahaha!

Quote Originally Posted by Onyx View Post

Both my boys were circumcised before 8 weeks. I had no issues finding Drs to do it. In fact I had a choice of Drs, settings, anesthesia and methods. They didn't appear particularly traumatised to me but what would I know, I'm just their Mum
    :yeahthat:

We had our DS done at 3 weeks, and our experience was pretty much the same. No hassles at all.
    If you have any questions, feel free to PM me

I wouldn't stress either way about him being the odd one out - I was surprised though in my mother's group of 8 mums and 6 boys, only one of them had not been circumcised. I thought it would be the other way around but most of my friends have had their boys circumcised as well so it is not that uncommon. It doesn't seem to align much with religion here either - I have religious friends who haven't circumcised and non-religious friends who have. I really think it is about personal preference. Mind you, I am in North Queensland which is a long way from Sydney, so it could be a very different story down there.

Personally, I have had my son circumcised and it was a difficult decision and one we ummed and ahhhed about a lot before making the choice. I would say do as much reading as you can on both sides of the fence before making up your mind. Different people will tell you different things but really at the end of the day, only you can know what is right for you. I won't go into what made up our minds because I think it is a very personal decision.

Our experience of having our DS circumcised was a very positive one but there are no so positive experiences out there as well. Our doctor used the plastibell method and it was all over in less than 5 mins. DS let out one cry and then he was fine. I felt terrible afterwards though because he was so little (24 days old) and I wondered if I had done the right thing. It wasn't an easy thing to do but after all is said and done, I am really happy with our decision.

I guess my other main consideration was that I wanted to do the same for all my sons. So far I have one DS and two DDs so it hasn't been an issue but I kind of felt like whatever I did, I wanted to continue. So that might be something else to think about if you have more boys with whichever way you decide to go.

Anyway, I hope that was helpful. Welcome to BB and congratulations on your pregnancy

Our DS is almost 5 and we didn't get him circumcised.

I think Onyx is right there will always be something that sets your son apart from his peers/friends. Perhaps he will be taller, his hair will be blonder, he will sing better, he will be a faster runner or have 2 different shaped ears, have big feet....the list really is is endless.

Don't worry about how his penis looks and he won't either. If it's something you/your DH wants for your son then go ahead. It's your decision.

If you're wanting it done because it's the 'norm' then yes, I think you would be going against the grain of Australian boys. The majority are not circumcised so your son would be the exception not the norm among his peers.

Most boys I know in my area (mothers group, playgroup & boys I've cared for in child care) are not circumcised. I find it really odd on the rare occasion I see a circumcised penis now.

Hi alexmoving! Congrats on your little boy!

I've just had my first boy and DH and I discussed circumcision and have decided against it for the reason of not wanting him to be the odd one out.

DH wanted it done so that DS is the same as him (he's had it done) but then we thought about him at school - I don't have any figures or stats but anecdotally only two of my friends have had it done to their new sons so it seems in my area at least it is not common.

DH assures me that boys DO notice things like different penises, esp if they play sports as they get older and they are having showers and stuff after games (he played lacrosse for years and wants to get our kids involved in that or something similar). Once I pointed out that if we can reduce the number of things that our DS could possibly be picked on for, we should, he agreed to let it go.

That and I pointed out we'd have to have it done privately and it would probably cost us $$$... If we could find an Obs who would agree to do it for us!

The two friends that I know who had it done - one was for religious reasons as her hubby is Jewish. The other wanted it done in case they went on a mission trip to somewhere remote like Africa, to make sure no bugs got trapped in there - so also a religious reason. But then the Dr refused to do it. Fast forward to around 9-10mths, they had noticed his foreskin wasn't growing at the same rate as his penis, so he ended up needing a circumcision for medical reasons.

He had one done at 12mths and was fine. It was performed under general at a private hosp.

Good luck with your decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Me View Post
    I wouldn't stress either way about him being the odd one out - I was surprised though in my mother's group of 8 mums and 6 boys, only one of them had not been circumcised. I thought it would be the other way around but most of my friends have had their boys circumcised as well so it is not that uncommon. It doesn't seem to align much with religion here either - I have religious friends who haven't circumcised and non-religious friends who have. I really think it is about personal preference. Mind you, I am in North Queensland which is a long way from Sydney, so it could be a very different story down there.
    Just Me - a little off topic - Nth Qld traditionally had a higher rate of circumcision than other areas as it was felt to be more hygenic in tropical heat and better for preventing infection (ie: a generation or two ago). Now there is a greater focus on teaching boys how to clean and care for a non-circ'd penis and less advocacy for circumcision. But my understanding is that circumcision is still relatively common here because the previous generation of men who grew up and still live locally (and are now becoming fathers) were circumcised and many choose the same for their own sons.

Alexmoving - good luck with your decision, whichever way you decide!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast