Thread: Vibrating Massage Chairs in Pregnancy

Question Vibrating Massage Chairs in Pregnancy

Hi Lovelies,

I'm off for a pedicure in a couple of days and they have those seats that massage your back via vibration as you sit getting your feet done (so lovely!). I very vaugely recall being told not to use those chairs when pregnant because they can bring on labor. Can someone tell me if that is correct? The vibration bit can be turned off....

TIA.

MG

I wouldn't use the vibrator (?lol) . Not worth the risk. Lucky you @ the pampering, though. Enjoy!

I errrm asked about other devices (that vibrate) in the AO thread and was told they were ok.. hee hee hee

LMAO, Netty!!!

Thanks ladies. Netty - I knew that *clears throat* activity was ok.... but am confused why those seats always say (at the shopping centre) not to be used by preggie women... maybe they thinks it's contagious! ROFL

Hi MG

I used a massage chair at an electrical shop while waiting for DH who was off looking at goodness knows what. Anyway while I was sitting in it a guy who works at the shop came up to me and said that pregnant women shouldnt use the massage chairs as it can bring on labour. I kind of thought - yeah whatever, but got off it - which was very hard to do as it was sooooo nice. Anyway later that day I went into labour. I was only 5 days off my due date so it may well have happenned anyway, but I guess I cant say for sure it was the chair that started the labour. Enjoy your pedicure.

Jem

Maybe they are scared you waters will break and make a mess or you could get electricuted too now I think of it... I guess you dont have to worry about that with batteries LOL!

Right thanks Jemima, I am heading for one of those chairs when Im ready to start things going

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

I had one and used it on my back for brief periods and I didn't go into labour - it was Homedics something and only a mild one padded foam that inserted into a regular chair - but ask your mw maybe to be sure.

My sorta-SIL is a GP and had me sitting on the chair, I'm sure both she (and her surgeon hubbby) would not have allowed me near it if it wasn't safe?

Oooooh, I didn't know those vibrating chairs could bring on labour! I was using one (just an insert thing by Homedics like Trish mentioned) from about 20 weeks onwards when I was pregnant because I had such bad back problems...Riley arrived 2 days before his due date so I guess it didn't affect him at all.

If those chairs make you go into labour sign me up for one!!!!
    LOL @ Netty for the AO comment....
    MG im sorry hun i cant help you but if you do have it on and you go into labour within a week im going to follow in your footsteps!!

Bad news girls. They will not birng on labour. They are safe to use when pregnant

Or good news Alan - think of the wonderful massaging sensation on that sore lower back ....... mmmmmmmm

That is such good news to read.

I was at the hairdresses on the weekend and when they were washing my hair they asked me if I wanted the massager on and I was in heaven getting my head and back massaged at the same time. Then my girlfriends started freaking me out saying I should not have done it - but it felt good. As I am only 18 weeks I will definately go back again. =)

Thanks for easing my mind!!!

where cosmopolitans and margaritas flow all night

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Goose View Post
    Thanks ladies. Netty - I knew that *clears throat* activity was ok.... but am confused why those seats always say (at the shopping centre) not to be used by preggie women... maybe they thinks it's contagious! ROFL
    The seats in the shopping centres are generally not vibrating but give a very hard shiatsu massage which is why they are not good for pregnant women

I have a simple version of these at home, just a seat-shaped cushion thingy that sits over the couch which has a vibrate and massage setting which DH bought me... probably in the hope it would get him out of too many demands for a shoulder rub!

I've chosen not to use it during pregnancy as I'm concerned about the level of electro-magnetic radiation. Although everything electronic (yr TV, phone, alarm clock etc) is putting out this energy, I just figure it's not great in larger doses so close to bubs. I've heard that you should never sleep on an electric blanket switched on for the same reason (pg or not).

I'm sure it's fine in small doses but worth considering.

We have one at home (massage chair) and no problems for me. Its actually a great way to de-stress! Ahhhh! Enjoy!