thread: Couldn't find the heartbeat on doppler at 15 weeks

Nov 2008
    Perth

posted twice somehow!

Last edited by Taurean; April 30th, 2009 at 07:45 PM. : double post!

Nov 2008
    Perth

Tash and Mayaness - the position of your placenta can make a HUGE difference. If it's anterior, so positioned at the front, it can cushion both baby's kicks and heartbeat.

If you are really concerned though, organise a scan and you can see the heartbeat on the screen - I know hearing it is amazing but seeing that tiny heart beating away is pretty awesome still.

Oct 2007
    Vic

Tash - my ob has never used a doppler to find Tex's heartbeat, only ever the US machine, so I think that some in the field are taking your advice an not using them for the very reason that you suggest!

I'm sure that everything will be fine, but if you do have doubts I think it is worth talking to your GP and getting an US just for your piece of mind. If you can hold out to you next appointment, and she can't find it then, maybe ask for a US at that point - any excuse is a good one to see your little one kicking away at you on the big screen!

Good luck and take care.
    FG

Dec 2008
    Brighton, Brisbane

^^^^^^^Yeah that^^^^^^^

Jan 2008
    Adelaide

Ok so being miss Impatient I couldn't wait till Friday! I managed to get today off work and was lucky enough to get in to see my doc! And Guess what!!!! She foud the little peanut hiding low and to the left!! Heart beating away...oh what a sweet sweet sound!
    now I won't feel like jinxing anything if I take the tags off my new maternity jeans!!Thanks again to everyone who has replyed I really appreciate it, its really got me through the last (almost) 2 weeks! Now a three week wait til my ultrasound...can't wait!!
    xoxox

BellyBelly Member

Oct 2008

I had an appointment where the doctor couldn't find the heartbeat on a doppler because the baby was moving too much but found the placental flow. She said that the placental flow is driven by baby. If you don't have a baby with a heart beat, you don't have a placental flow. I think your baby is fine which is probably why your GP was unconcerned.

Glad to see that you got to hear your baby's heartbeat this morning! Enjoy taking the tags off your maternity jeans

Jun 2009
    WA

Just been to the doc for a check up and she tried to find the heartbeat with the doppler and couldn't She said she could hear the placental flow which means healthy baby....and told me not to stress, I've had two previous m/c so I'm not really capable of not stressing!! We did see the baby on our nuchal fld scan and heard the heartbeat on the doppler a couple of weeks ago...am I stressing for no reason? Has anyone else had the doc not be able to find the heartbeat? I'm sure she would have sent me for another us if she was worried......going back in 2 weeks instead of 4 cause she wants to reassure me....just hope my little peanut is ok
    Hmm, I can understand how you felt. I never had happened to all my pregnancies except this one. Went to the doctor's 2 weeks ago and he found one heart beat with the doppler and he tried to find the other twin's heartbeat he couldn't but he said everything was ok and I've been worried and just trying feel for lot's of kicks and movements from babies.

Will find out tomorrow when I go for my review scan for the 20 wk scan...don't worry, everything will be ok.

Apr 2009
    Cowra, NSW

dont stress tash...
    I know its hard not to stress when theyve given you news like that, but stressing will only make things worse, for you and bub.

Im sure everything is fine, the little bugger just want to play tricks on mummy.
    How did it go. Have you had news on hearing bubbas heartbeat again?

Apr 2009
    Cowra, NSW

oops, sorry, just saw ur message a few replies up.

Good to hear everything is ok. Told you lil peanut was trying to scare you, just wanted to play tricks on mum.

congrats and all the best xx

Jan 2008
    Adelaide

Hiya! Yeah everything is going great now thanks first time mummy! Now 23 weeks along and have no fear the peanut is still there, it is reminding me all the time! It either thinks it can dance or it has the hiccups all the time! I absolutly love feeling it move!
    Hobbes- Hope everything went well at your ultrasound..no matter how much you try not to worry, you just can't help it!

Jun 2009
    WA

Hi Tash

Thank for asking...scan went really well, bubs are doing well and heart rate is below 150 and i think that's normal. Again both turned and had their heads together (how cute!) and this time scan only took 30 mins and not 1 hr (phew!)