Thread: Freaking out! 17 weeks - could i be leaking amniotic fluid? (Warning TMI)

Unhappy Freaking out! 17 weeks - could i be leaking amniotic fluid? (Warning TMI)

Ok ? this is prob going to be gross and TMI, but I am starting to freak out a bit. Which I may have done to myself from googling to much but anyway!

I have always had quite a lot of CM discharge ? well before pregnancy, going right back to when AF first arrived. So it didn?t really shock me when I got heaps during pregnancy because I did read that it increases.

I also have a lot of problems with Thrush and I am prone to BV (bactierial Vaginitis) ? so 3 weeks ago I was feeling pretty crapy so I went to the hospital, at the time I suspected that I had a UTI and a bad case of thrush. They did a blood test and took some swabs and sent me home with a course of general anti biotics. I assumed that they would ring if there was any issues with the results. I took my antibiotics. And have still been feeling a bit crappy but just put it down to my low blood pressure and work load and general pregnancy blah.

So fast forward to about a week ago ? I noticed that my discharge had changed ? more watery (it has been milky), and a fair bit of it. And it tends to ?come out? more when I sneeze or cough or something.

So initially I thought that maybe I had FINALLY gotten rid of the thrush ? and this is what discharge during pregnancy looks like normally. So apart from having to change my knickers all the time I was pretty cool with it.

So last night I get a call from the hospital, I don?t know why they decided to let me know my results now after almost a month but anyway ? apparently my swab showed no evidence of thrush at all ? the problem was I have BV and I need to go in to pick up my prescription.

So now I am freaking out - could I be leaking amniotic fluid? I mean hopefully I am just over sensitive and way over reacting ? but it couldn?t possibly be that could it? I mean I am only 17 weeks. Other than that I feel fine ? the last week I have really popped out so the baby seems to be growing fine, I am getting a few twinges down there but nothing I have felt like I need to worry about.

Please I need some advice! I don?t want to go to the hospital and sound silly if it is just discharge ? and I don?t really have a GP that I am happy to go and see

Sorry I babbled heaps and this is really long!

I think it is most likely just normal pregnancy discharge. I have been "wet" all through pregnancy with a lot of clear fluid...to the point where I will wear a liner. Yes I can 'feel' it sometimes too.

See your doc if you are worried or feel uneasy about it.

Honey, there is for a lot of women a huge increase in the amount of discharge they get right from early on in their pg and that is probably what it is.

But having said that ( and i really dont want you to freak anymore than you already are) there is a slight possibility it is the fluid leaking, even at this early stage. Please go and get it checked. Even if you dont want to see a GP, just popping into your nearest maternity ward and asking them for advice can help.

Hi Elyse,

This is my first pregnancy, so can't really tell you if it's amniotic fluid or not, But it usually clear and smells alkaline/sweet (like semen they say - sorry TMI ).

I have been getting lots of clear/miky discharge which I think is normal during pregnancy. BV will cause lots of watery discharge, usually with a fishy smell. If the hosp has confirmed that you have BV, I would assume that it's causing the excess discharge.

sorry, I think I am rambling now.. Anyway - my point is - i don't think it's amniotic fluid. Get the hosp to check up when you go in for your antibiotics, just to put your mind at ease.

Thanks for the advice girls! i think i am going to get checked out at the hospital when i pick up my perscription. I just did a bit more googling and apparently untreated BV can cause pre term labour - just a bit concerned because i have obviously had it for some time now (at least a month) and it hasnt been treated.

Hun - I felt the same and even posted a thread about it too!!

I have a GP though and she checked me out - which was totally embarrassing still - but it was just discharge - I also felt wet alot and thought surely this cant be discharge cos it was watery not like mucus KWIM?

The hospital hopefully can just give you a swab stick thingy you can test whether just urine/discharge/or amniotic fluid.

I am sure everything is fine - but I was worried for a week too before I decided to get it checked out

I know exactly what your saying about the consistancy of it! It just doesnt look like discharge!

I just got back from the Hossy - all good prob just an increase because the BV has been untreated for so long. The OB/GYN said that because i have had it for over a week now if it was amnitoic fluid we would know by now (contraction pains, blood etc) but thats all clear. So they gave me my perscription and sent me on my merry way a perscripton that i then lost between recption giving it to me and seeing the OB/GYN! lol Baby Brains!! but have brought forward my scan that i was going to have done at 19w to 18w just in case.

I am so glad that i went, its put my mind at ease but also - i got to hear my babys heart!!!!! First time ever!! I havent had a doppler used on me yet and when i have had my scans they have showed us on screen but we hadnt heard it - it was the most amazing thing ever!!!!!!!

Thanks girls for all your help! xxxx

Alan posted in another thread about water trickles - and it will probably be helpful for you!

what volume when waters "trickle"?

It's just a soggy old time - really it is.

You wouldn't think so, but it is. I've continuously got a Stayfree on, and did with DS too.

The only advice I have is either call your doctors office and ask if they think you should go in. Explain your situation and that you are worried about leaking. If they have you go into the hospital explain your situation again, they will find out. Better safe than sorry.