Thread: Can I run out of Colostrum?

Question Can I run out of Colostrum?

This may seem like a strange question but does anyone know if you can run out of colostrum. I seem to be leaking so much I am worried my body will just stop producing more. Baby # 2 due in 3.3 weeks.

Also with baby #1 my milk didn't come in to until day 6 to 7 so I comp fed. I was wondering if I could express now and freeze some of the colotrum to give bubs in case milk takes a long time again this time.

As far as I know, you don't run out. A lot of people leak while pg, so it seems like a normal thing. Dunno about the expressing bit though. My milk took 5 days to come in with Nina, and I just kept b/f her until it eventually came in.

Isabeau Guest

It doesn't sound silly I have asked the same question

you can freeze your colostrum in case bubs needs more than what you're producing by the time he/she pops out

I leaked a HUGE amount during pregnancy, and i had heaps after i delievered.. the nurses were amazed with the amount!

Lets hope this is a sign of a great milk supply (mine was)! And if you want some things that i found to help the leaking, let me know, as there were some great products out there.

HTH!

Thanks everyone. I think I will see if I can freeze some for the hospital, just in case it takes a long time for my milk come in again.

You will not run out and you can freeze it.
    You can keep it frozen in a 2 door firdge freezer for 3 months or 6 months in a deep freeze (chest freezer)

Thanks for that Alan. I am going to start tomorrow. Hopefully I will get enough to keep. Does anyone know if I can combine it. So what I express today can I add it to the colostrum I expressed yesterday OR do I have to store it all separately?

You can combine it. Make sure that the milk you are adding to the frozen milk is cold. (put it in the fridge for a while brfore adding)
    Another option for you is to freeze your milk in the little ice trays that way you will not need to combine and you can get out what you need when you need.
    Would you like some ice? no but if you have a colostrum cube!! LOL

ROFL Alan, you sure you're a midwife and not a comedian??

A question on heating the expressed milk...what is the best way?? At this stage I'm not wanting to express cos I don't want Oskar to get lazy and want a bottle, but more of a just in case I need to question.

In hot/warm water
    Not in a microwave. Microwaves can and usually do cause hot spots in the food/water/milk. You can imagine how nasty it would be if your baby got a mouth full of almost boiling milk.