Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No colostrum at 37 weeks?

smelly Guest

Default No colostrum at 37 weeks?

Hi all.
    Not really sure where to post this question, so here goes.
    I'm 37 weeks pregnant and very keen to breast feed my baby when s/he is born. However, I've recently been spooked by a group of pregnant women (some who already have children) who suggested that I may experience a problem with my milk supply because I haven't been leaking any colostrum yet. I had a go by hand the other night after a shower but didn't manage to get anything out, so I'm pretty sure there's none in there yet.
    Anyone else been in the same situation? And did you have any problems with milk supply/breastfeeding? To be honest, I'd just assumed I was lucky not to be leaking and that the hormones after birth would just do their thing to make milk when it was actually needed...
    Thanks for you help.
    Smelly.

I never leaked during pregnancy and I have very good milk supply. In fact, I don't know many women who have leaked. When bub is born, you're body will produce the colostrum. Don't worry about it.

smelly Guest

Thanks for your replies Caro & Jodi - so quick, too! I was pretty sure it was a wives-tale, and it sounds like I may have been right. Didn't stop me from starting to doubt myself though! Thanks again, Smelly.
    p.s. - Caro - username is actually a nickname that started when I was a child. Not because I stank, but because it rhymed with my name and kids like to find any way of teasing. Weird thing is, I'm kind of fond of it now!

Hi Smelly, i have never leaked colostrum with any of my pregnancies. I wouldn't worry about it all will happen once bubs is here.

Smelly,
    This is my 3rd baby and i have only really "leaked" when i was pg with my DD. And that was bad. I remember having to lean over the bathroom basin to catch all the colostrum. Then as it turned out i couldnt BF her anyways! With DS i didnt leak much and with this one im not leaking at all! So i guess it all depends on the pregnancy.

Hi Smelly -
    I didn't have any leaking colostrum during my pregnancy either but my mum (who is a registered nurse) assured me that it is just as normal to not leak as to leak. I had plenty of colostrum once bub was born though - so no worries there. Good thing too as it took about 5 days for my milk to come in!
    I'm sure you will be fine and good luck in the days to come!:P

I leaked like a sieve with my first child, and nothing with my second child. My milk hasn't been anywhere near as prolific with this baby (cause I had REAL issues with the first one) so its heaps, heaps, heaps more comfortable.
    I still have plenty of milk for my little guzzler, and was really happy to avoid the leaking thing this time around.
    I'm sure you will be fine

Fruitwood Guest

Hi, I never leaked and had only a tiny bit of colostrum after I gave birth. I didn't produce a very big milk supply and my daughter went on formula day 3. Looking back a big indicator for me that I wouldn't be able to breast feed or produce milk which wasn't picked up until after my daughter was 3 months old was that my breasts didn't increase in size at all during my pregnancy. I think it's a rare thing though as I've experienced alot of negativity for bottle feeding my daughter.

Debbie Lee Guest

I didn't leak anything at all before having Gab. From memory I think it varies and leaking colostrum when still preggo is no indication of how well you're going to BF.

I'm 4 days overdue with bub no4 and using my breast pump regularly to try and encourage bub to come out, even using the pump i'm not getting anything out and I've never leaked before with any of them either so i'm not worried..... milk supply has never been a problem and hopefully wont be this time round either as i'm far too lazy to bottle feed.

Lynn

Smelly I echo what the others said - no colostrum is NO PROBLEMO! I had the same concerns but I am still BF Flynn and he's nearly 7 months - no probs with supply here!!

i never leaked at while pg with mya-rose & there was nothing wrong with my milk supply.
    This time round i actually noticed a tiny bit leaking the other day,which kinda grossed me out at the time as i was having a sooky,feeling sorry for myself day.

Again, i never leaked while PG, but once Chelsea was born i did, but only very little. I never did end up breastfeeding....

But after about a week i couldnt stop leaking.....but Chels just didnt want to take to breast....so we stuck to bottle feeding.

Quote Originally Posted by Fruitwood View Post
    Hi, I never leaked and had only a tiny bit of colostrum after I gave birth. I didn't produce a very big milk supply and my daughter went on formula day 3. Looking back a big indicator for me that I wouldn't be able to breast feed or produce milk which wasn't picked up until after my daughter was 3 months old was that my breasts didn't increase in size at all during my pregnancy. I think it's a rare thing though as I've experienced alot of negativity for bottle feeding my daughter.
    I have never heard of this before?!!!!!!! And it's freaking me out a bit. I really want to BF, but my breasts have not increased in size at all. Nipples are bigger but that's it. I really wanted them to grow too, I'm not exactly well-endowed LOL! But I've really not been at all bothered about it....until now.

I thought breast size bore no relation to your milk supply? Or am I just confusing myself? (Easily done these days!)

ETA I realise that i've still got a long way to go in this pg and I may end up with a DD chest after all! I'm still just wondering.

*bump*

well i've just changed my tune on this...... my bub is 3 days now and i'm not producing, we have had to start formula top ups which although making my beautiful little girl happy is breaking my heart. if anyone has any ideas for helping with my milk production please let me hear them.

Taz

Taz, I'm sure one of the girls in the Bf threads will be able to help you. Esp FionaJill if she's around, she's an ABA counsellor thingie. Maybe try posting there. Congrats on your baby girl by the way!

Debbie Lee Guest

Taz,
    Have a look-see at this thread on increasing your BM.
    My milk didn't come in until day 3 and even then it wasn't plentiful. When I left the hospital on day 5, I still didn't feel like I had a great supply.
    We were doing formula top ups at night too and did so for 6 months (adding another formula bottle during the day at 4 months). Still, I believe the top-ups probably affected my supply. Hindsight is a valuable thing tho and, at the time, I did what I needed to to cope.
    Try some of the suggestions in the thread I mentioned above. The aktavite definitely helps.

Sezjm:
    I thought breast size bore no relation to your milk supply?
    It certainly isn't indicative of how you'll feed. I know women with B cups that feed like troopers for well over 12 months with a fantastic supply! I've got F cups atm (my boobs haven't grown like they did with my first pregnancy but I think they didn't really shrink after I had Gabby... they're not as sore either). Everyone is different matey. Try not to stress (as stress is the worst thing for BM supply). Think positive thoughts; "I will be able to BF my baby". It's hard work but it's certainly achievable... just believe you can do it
    Last edited by Debbie Lee; January 6th, 2007 at 06:00 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast