Parents are being warned about the dangers of big bow headbands after the tragic death of a 14 week old baby in the UK.
The baby reportedly died in her carry cot after the bow headband she was wearing slipped over her nose and suffocated her.
Safety Warning After Tragic Death Of 14 Week Old Baby
The warning was posted to Facebook by a friend of the family. She wrote, “My friend has sadly just lost her 14 week old daughter whilst she thought she was sleeping in her carry cot after a long walk. When she came to check on her she had the bow headband down over her wee nose and mouth and wasn’t moving…she had passed away.”
The post was shared over 80,000 times by parents across the world in the hope of raising awareness of the dangers of big bows headbands. Many commenters took to Facebook to thank the poster for highlighting this important issue.
The big bows are a popular fashion trend amongst young girls and many new parents choose to adorn their baby daughters’ with hair accessories.
The Facebook post has since been deleted and no details of the family have been shared publicly which has caused some critics to question whether this was an online hoax.
Whether it was based on real events or not, the safety of these headbands is a concern and parents should be vigilant about safety where young children and babies are concerned.
This doesn’t mean you have to ditch hair accessories altogether, it just means you should be mindful of the risks.
For example, never leave your baby asleep whilst wearing a headband that could slip down and restrict her airway. Bows make for great photos, but make sure you remove the accessory when your baby sleeps.
Treat headbands as you would any other potential hazard and keep them out of reach of young babies when you’re not closely supervising them.
To find out more about how to ensure your baby your baby is sleeping safely, check out Four Unsafe Places For Your Baby To Sleep.