Did you know there are 3 different types of icing recipes and 4 different types of frosting recipes? We hope you enjoy the selection of frosting and icing recipes as much as our members have! Click to fast scroll down to a particular recipe or for more inspiration.
Member Tip: For a glossy, harder icing, add 1-2 tablespoons of pavlova egg to your normal butter icing recipe, as it has egg white powder in it. Egg white is what goes hard and glossy over time. Thanks Christy!
- Icing Recipe #1: Passionfruit Icing
- Icing Recipe #2: White Chocolate Vanilla Icing
- Icing Recipe #3: French Cream Icing
- Icing Recipe #4: Butter Icing
- Icing Recipe #5: Rose Water Frosting
- Icing Recipe #6: Cream Cheese Frosting
- Icing Recipe #7: Lemon Icing
Member Tip: “The secret to making icing black is to make it blue first, then add the black food colouring. If you just add the black to white icing it will turn grey. You need to make it a different colour first, blue is the closest/darkest. There is also another secret when making red too as adding just red to white icing will turn pink. You have to make it orange first and then add the red to the orange icing.” Thanks Shooting Star!
Passionfruit Icing Recipe
– posted by Onyx
- 150g softened unsalted butter
- 500g icing sugar, sifted
- 1/3 cup passionfruit pulp
- Yellow food colouring
- 1 tbsp milk
Simply combine the butter and icing sugar, beating until smooth. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
White Chocolate Vanilla Icing Recipe
– posted by kimmi
- 312grams Caster Sugar
- 5 egg whites
- 500g butter (room temp)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 250g white chocolate melted (but cooled)
- Start with the caster sugar and egg whites in a bowl over simmering water and beat until sugar has dissolved (I use electric beaters but a whisk will do).
- Next, put the mixture into your mixer bowl and add the vanilla essence, keep whisking the mixture until its cool.
- Add the soft butter and beat together (don’t worry if it looks like its curdled).
- Add the melted chocolate and beat. and it’s done. This will cover a 10″ cake (if you have a lot of leftovers you can freeze it).
French Cream Icing Recipe
– posted by Netix
- 5 tbsp plain flour
- 1 cup milk
- 225g butter, soft
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Whisk flour and milk together in a small non-stick saucepan over low heat.
- Stir with whisk continually until thick and starting to boil. (mine never boil, they just seemed too thick, but I do cook them for a few minutes).
- Remove from heat, spread over a cold dinner plate to cool faster, stirring and turning over with a rubber spatula to speed things up a bit. Give the odd stir and turn while whipping the butter. It must be completely cool before adding to the rest of the ingredients.
- Whip butter until fluffy.
- Add sugar and vanilla, beat until mixture is smooth and sugar is dissolved.
- Add the cooled flour mixture to the butter mixture, beat until smooth and stands in peaks.
- Spread over cupcakes (makes more than enough for 24 cupcakes, maybe even 36), or use to fill and spread over the two round cakes.
Butter Icing Recipe
– posted by Rouge
- 200g butter
- 200g icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Beat the butter till soft (I use unsalted) and pale, then add icing sugar and vanilla, mix on low to combine then on high till pale. You can then divide up how you like and add colouring.
Rose Water Frosting Recipe
– posted by Rouge
This is a Martha Stewart recipe.
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1/4 cup sifted confectioners’ sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons rose water (can locate this from most Asian grocers)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons milk, plus more if needed
- Gel-paste food colouring (or pink food dye)
- In a medium bowl, beat the cream cheese and the sugar with a wooden spoon until the mixture is smooth (or use a mixer).
- Add the rose water and the milk, and continue to beat the mixture until it is smooth.
- Tint the frosting, and use it immediately. Makes 1/2 cup, enough to fully coat 6-8 cupcakes.
Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
– posted by mummy of many
- 30g butter
- 1 & 1/2 cups of icing sugar
- 60g cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon lemon rind
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup coconut
Beat butter and cream cheese until creamy. Add remaining ingredients, beating well. Spread on cake and sprinkle with coconut or decorate as desired. I like this Icing for the kids, as it doesn’t run everywhere.
Lemon Icing Recipe
– posted by mummy of many
- 1/2 cup of icing sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon butter
Sift icing sugar into the bowl. Add lemon juice and butter and stir until smooth. Place bowl over a hot pan of hot water and stir until glossy. Spread over cake or cupcakes as required.
Member Tip: For an additive-free icing colouring, try 1 tablespoon beetroot puree in your icing mixture instead of 3-4 drops of food colour. Thanks, Christy!
For more information on buying the right hand mixer for you, we recommend you review the following:
Hand Mixer Reviews
To find out more about other sweet recipes, you can read BellyBelly’s articles: