Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HELP! Really really REALLY bad nappy rash

What are you using to clean her bum with ? A warm flannel is far gentler than bum wipes. You can use some cammomile tea to wipe her bottom down with. Anything with lavender in it is great too.

I hope Avaleigh's bum is clearer this morning and she is feeling better.

Thanks for the more suggestions ladies I've got some pawpaw cream and that nipple cream around somewhere, better go and dig them out and give them a go.

Trish - I've been using baby wipes but have swapped to a warm flannel this morning.

We changed the nappy a few times over night and the rash doesnt seem as red anymore, but still is red IYKWIM. We did have a dirty nappy when Avaleigh woke up, but it was her normal poo - none of this non-stinky stuff. When it warms up a bit, we will go nappy free for a little while and let it all air out!

I swear by daktozin. The GP told me that any nappy rash that is around for more than a day or two is probably fungal anyway.
    I use Daktozin all the time just as our regular cream anyway.
    The pawpaw cream can be good, but Daktozin cleared it up the quickest (we've also had to resort to the cortisoid stuff too)

POOR bubba! Especially when the bath hurts!
    I've found that Keri Oil in the bath, keep the temp luke warm, and it really helps their comfort levels.

i second trish on not using baby wipes, i can only imagine how much it might sting on a sore bum
    not sure if someone mentioned lansinol, but thats a better choice than vaseline, no petrochemicals, as for paw paw, the simmons is also better than the lucas one, again no petrochemicals

*sigh* Avaleigh's rash has flarred up again I havent managed to do nappy free time yet cause we were out for lunch and now she is sleeping, but I will when she wakes up. It wont be enough tho, so we are off to the doctors tomorrow - I really want to know what is up with all this weird poo! There has only been 2 today compared to yesterdays 10, but there is still 5 hours until the day is over for her.

I hope we can get something to sort it all out tomorrow, and quickly too!

Ahh! Doesnt seem like this nappy rash nightmare is going to end!! It now looks like the skin has cracked

We had 2 hours of nappy free time and we went through 5 wet/soiled pants. The rash is just getting worse, but I have caught the last 3 poos as soon as they happened, but thats cause we werent wearing a nappy! Plan is to check nappy every 30 mins until bed time, and then once again before I go to bed.

The covitol and daktozin just dont seem to be working. Some one mentioned pawpaw cream. I have this and checked and it said it can be used on nappy rash. I was thinking of using pawpaw plus daktozin or covitol but was afraid mixing could cause it to get even worse - whats your thoughts on this?

Doctor first thing tomorrow morning!!

Poor little bubba! How did you go at the Dr's?

My DS had the most horrid nappy rash when he was teething at about 9 months old and we tried everything available. The best and really only cream that worked for him when it was really bad was a nappy rash cream my sister in law sent over from the UK for us called Metanium. I don't know if you can get it here but perhaps the pharmacist can give you something similar. The active ingredients are Titanium dioxide 20%w/w, Titanium peroxide 5%w/w and Titanium salicylate 3%w/w. Good luck!

We are back from the doctors, with two creams in hand!! First one is caneston and the second one is betnovate. The dr said that the poo is probably some sort of virus and that the rash should clear up in 3 - 4 days. So until then, its just constant changing and lathering cream! So I am guessing that the dr thinks the rash is thrush if he gave us caneston?

Kane has not long gotten over a simiular nappy rash. I was told it is caused by teething... as in the urine goes quite acidic, and when mixed with poo can be almost chemical burn
    The only thing that cleared him up quickly was Hydrozole. Its over the counter, but contains a small amount of cortizone, so it is to be used sparingly. Worked amazingly, when nothing else would.

Just a thought, if what the doc gave you doesnt work. Good luck hon.

I've only just found this thread but want to add my two cents worth lol.
    Many a year ago (well 12 to be exact) ds had a horrible nappy rash. One nappy change was normal and the next blisters everywhere (and in some spots bleeding). I tried applying covitol (as that's what I normally used then) but it would stick as when I wiped it the blisters would break and his bum would be wet. I was about to go for the cornflour (an old wives tale that works too) and remembered a nurse telling me about Mylanta. He was teething at the time so I put the rash town to that so thought acidic wee/poo = antacid. So I got some cotton balls and applied some, changed his nappy and check about half hour later. There was marked inprovement, so I kept it up. By the next morning there was no sign of the rash.
    I understand that Avaleighs was probably a virus but just wanted to post this hint anyway.

As for PawPaw, I work in a nursing home and we use PawPaw on just about everything. It's the first thinig that is applied when someone looks like they are getting a bed ulcer, and believe me it fixes them. Any small breaks of the skin (particularly on the buttocks) its PawPaw.
    I plan on buying some this week to have in the babies room for his bum. I really should have had some in the house before now, but oh well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12