Thread: How long can I be like this? Soft cervix, baby engaged.

Default How long can I be like this? Soft cervix, baby engaged.

I already know the answer to this question but I'd love to hear your stories. It will give me more fodder for lying here torturing myself with speculation. Lots of TMI to follow but what the hey.

So I presented last week with contx and a little blood stained mucus. Internal VE revealed a softish cervix slightly dilated, not unusual for a grand multi but I've never had anything other than "long and closed" before. Baby's head was high up. I presented again on weekend with more contx and blood stained PV loss, and VE revealed baby very engaged. Had a very big bleed after VE, with continuing light brown loss and lots of stringy mucus.

Not much in the way of contx today but my stomach has dropped again massively, it almost looks like it's shrunk, I've had an upset tummy all afternoon, and I have this deep, deep ache from my vagina up to my hips. It's not so bad when I lie down, but quite achey and uncomfortable when I stand up. I was naughty and had a quick feel of my cervix while I was in the shower - still very posterior but very soft, like my mouth lips are when they are relaxed. Wasn't game enough to feel for dilation. I am peeing every five minutes and even when I'm not peeing I feel like I need to pee.

So does anyone want to lay bets on how long I can get around like this without anything happening??? I've never had a pre term delivery before with any of my five girls, and I've only spontaneously gone into labour once before, the others were inductions.

I'm 34+1 today.

I don't want to lay bets on it cos as you know I want you and bubs to hold on for as long as possible....however, that said, I don't think you've got more than a couple of weeks at the most....I don't want to say any less even though I believe it highly possible from what you've said.

I'm going to be really happy to make it to 36 weeks, I think. 37 would be even better.

That said, I'll probably be moaning about it all at 41 LOL.

Well it sounds like you don't have long. I might go as far as a week or 2.
    I'm praying that you at least get another 3 weeks out of this though.

This is not reassuring me, friends! You're all supposed to be posting, "Oh, I walked around 5cm dilated for six weeks"!!!!!!!

Argh, baby is trying to shove his big foot out of my belly button. At this rate my uterus will explode before I give birth.

Sorry hun I don't have any words of wisdom for you, but I hope that bubs keeps poking you in the belly button and not out thre cervix!! I guess when you are standing up gravity is playing its role and bubs is shifting down further, putting more pressure on the cervix and causing it to dialate more (my guess only!!) so I guess you will have to chill out on the bed, raise your legs and get bubs to go back up!!!

Praying you make it a few more weeks too!!!

Yeah, I was going to say get your feet up too!
    Sorry I can't be more reassuring...you'll just have to prove me wrong!
    41+3 here we come!!

TMTM, I hope bub stays in there for you until the 36, 37weeks mark!! Maybe call your hospital and ask what their guess is? I wondering if Alan is around he'd be able to help!

Well you can be like this for another 3 weeks! Sure you can! It probably wont be fun and it might help to move into the bathroom for that time, but you can do it!

Ok, serious. It doesn't sound like you have much time - but if it helps, I was in pre-labour for 2 weeks with Harry. Apparently extremely odd for a grand multi - but it can happen. I was told at the time that my cervix was 1-2cms the whole time - which is apparently *extremely* normal for a grand multi (as in actual dilation hasnt started - thats the size it stays. Eeek). So, fingers crossed. In your case, legs.

I was 2cm dilated for a week or 2 with DD2.
    REST REST REST!!! that should buy you more time hopefully.
    Good luck, hope you can go a bit longer.

With my 1st she turned and dropped, engaged, at 7 months. Thought she was going to drop out on the spot. I walked around 5cm dilated for weeks and not even a BH to encourage me. I had 1 hour of contractions then they stopped due to bad news. I ended up being induced as I was dilating but no pain. I had a 2 hour labour from the time they broke my waters.
    All the best as you wait for the birth of your son

Hugs TMTM, thinking of you.

I was 3cm for about 3 weeks with my DD, lots of annoying on-again-off-again prelabour. On the day my DD arrived, my waters broke at 5:20am, got my first real contraction at about 5:40am and she was out at 6:25am. So you might be in for a quick one when it does actually happen.

More hugs