Thread: Is it ok to use teething gel on a 5 month old?

Default Is it ok to use teething gel on a 5 month old?

Hi everyone

Jordan is well and truly teething, he has had red cheeks for a few days, drooling like a tap, screaming almost all the time and crying on and off a lot. The MCHN sold me some teething gel (terry white chemist brand) - but I just noticed it says to get doctors approval to use on babies under 6 months. Does anyone know why and if I'd be ok to try some tonight. Panadol isn't doing much for him and we all need some rest!

We use SM33 in this house, and you can use that for babies over 3 or 4 months I think? Bonjela is from about 4 months too, but we found SM33 to be more effective against pain..
    HTH!!

I use Hylands teething tablets. They are little tablets that dissolve instantly. I swear by them. If you google the name you can find information on them.

Bonjella is 4 months and SM33 (which i also swear by!) is 6 months... although some pharmacists don't like to give it to babies under 9 months... not sure why!

I've always used Bonjela & panadol. Never heard of the others.
    Alot of childrens medications say to consult a doctor first, but if your chemist or MCHN suggested it, it should be fine.
    If bub's is too young for the recommended age on something I'd see the doctor, but if not I usually just talk to the chemist. They can be really helpful & may have other suggestions.
    When I say that, I mean like when DD2 was 3 weeks old I got the doctors OK to use panadol to try to relieve colic - We didn't know it was colic at the time though. It's not recommended for under 1 month.
    Since it says recommended age 6 month, I'd have talked to the chemist. Just to double check. They'll let you know if you'd need to see the doctor.
    Hope that helped. I'd give it a go, just to get through the night if you need to. Just remember to read the directions so you don't over dose.
    Last edited by ~clover~; July 14th, 2008 at 11:44 PM.

I just bought some Curash Teething Gel, could feel his teeth up the top when I applied it haha felt very weird

We use Bonjella on maddy and she is just over 5months and its been fine.

I hope it eases some of the pain, poor little bub

At 5 months, I don't think it would be a problem.