Thread: Teething relief suggestions needed for 3 month old!

Default Teething relief suggestions needed for 3 month old!

I know there are lots of threads for teething, but Blake has very painful gums due to teething. He's only 3.5 months old so he's limited by what we can do to help him.

I've got cold chewy teethers which I have to hold for him to munch upon, as well as letting him chew my finger. He's spending most of his waking time with his fist in his mouth and a bib on due to the extra saliva. He can't hold anything else to his own mouth due to his age which I'm sure is frustrating for him.

I'm hoping someone (anyone?!) can suggest some additional ideas on what I can do for him. Yes I give him Panadol and can probably give him Bonjela (haven't got any yet. Can a 3mth old use it?) I'd love to give him the old facewasher half frozen with apple juice as was suggested in another thread but he's too little. What do people think about half freezing it with EBM?

Oh and he's cross cutting... He's getting both bottom molars, just to make it more fun!

Can anyone suggest anything else?

I reckon a facewasher frozen with just water would be okay, Rachel. He might even be able to hold a facewasher to his mouth himself if you put it over his fist.

Good luck!

Lily started teething at three months and didn't get her first tooth until she was almost 7 months. We used bonjela and panadol which helped when she was younger. As she got older we gave her stuff to chew on like keys and hard toys and the like because she could hold them herself. Bonjela mostly did the trick as did the panadol which you can give to babies 1 month and older...

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Rachel we are using panadol and bonjela like Tegan said, and we are using the cold teething ring like you. But sometimes none of it seems to help us, might give the face washer with water like Angel suggested a go.

mooshie Guest

hi rachael

hugs to you on an early teether - my ds got his first 2 at 12wks so i know how hard it can be.

i actually have been using the brauer teething relief drops for lani and they are fantastic (she is a shocker with any sort of pain) and these do the job - they are a natural product and you can still use panadol as well. i get them from my local chemist but am not sure off hand what age you can use them from (i am sure you can under 6mths of age) cause i do remember giving them to lani earlier.

i also rub panadol along the gum line, especially when she was younger cause she didn't like bonjela then but does now..

oh also those dummy type things called "gummy's" made from happy baby - can get them at coles etc, they are really good and you can pop them in the fridge to get cold, or rub bonjela on it (they look like a dummy with a mouth guard type thing)

good luck

Tigergirl1980 Guest

We have a 'gummy' too Jonah likes to gum that with bonjela on it. I have to hold it in though or he'll gum it right out, lol.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

We already had a gummy but I didn't even think to chill it! Doh! ](*,) Will put it in the fridge as soon as I finish posting! Blake struggles to keep it in his mouth but I'll perservere.

I went to the chemist last night and sought out the Bauer's teething stuff, whatever it's officially called. Infants under 6 months can use it, so I'll probably start him today and see how we go. Hopefully it will make a difference. It's such a big seller according to the girl who worked in the chemist so hopefully it will help my little man.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Lijie cross cut too and it has been awful, he has 4 top and 4 bottom and now the harder ones are coming through. Here's a list of what I used if anyone wants any ideas!

Here's what I used for Elijah, different things work for different bubs though:

* Panadol - did nothing
    * Brauer's Teething Relief - works really well for some but not Lijie
    * Frozen teething rings / iceblocks / frozen fruit - loves it but cries when it gets cold in his hand!
    * Bonjela - No luck...
    * Gummy - Just bought it this afternoon, whacked it in the freezer and will try with bonjela

Something I have not tried but grew evil red horns when she suggested it:

* Pain Stop. The pharmacy chick told me it was supposed to be very good and is designed for stronger pain for little ones, it has panadol and codeine, as well as antihistamine to help him sleep, flavoured butterscotch... while I pictured a night of blissful sleep, I was a good girl and said no, will try the gummies with the Bonjela first, as well as the vaporiser for his cold.

So hopefully I will get some sleep tonight and help me to put those horns away Fingers crossed...
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Hey Kelly with the ice blocks - do you mean the ones in the plastic tube? If you do, you can get from Coles (not sure where else) a thing like a stubby holder for them IYKWIM so they're hands don't get cold.

Alex is in this club too. I'm thinking it could be the start of teeth coming through too.

I bought him a plastic refrigerator teething ring yesterday and I help him to suck on it. the rest of the time its his hand or toy or my shoulder..LOL!

Poor little loves, life isn't easy eh!

Zander was the same - from about 10wks we thought he was teething & he had two little teeth pop up at 5.5months.

I have heard fletch that their teeth can move about in their gums a bit ie come up & down for a while before they break the skin. No consolation I know.

The best thing we did before Zander could have Bonjela was buy on of those gummy things. It looks like a dummy from the part that sticks out of their mouth, but it has 2 plastic prongs that they can chomp on. It's great straight out from the freezer, but you do have to hold it in their mouth for them.

Blake's teeth are still up and down. Some days I think they're about to pop through, others you can barely see little white dots under the gums. I think it's going to be a long slow process.

The Brauer's Teething Relief I haven't actually used much. You have to give one ml every half hour for for doses, and Blake generally only stays awake about 1.5hrs at a go - generally - and it's only after he's been awake a while that he starts to get miserable with his teeth. By the time I've given him a couple of doses, he's ready for bed and I can't keep him awake to give him further doses. I guess it's not bothering him too much if he'll sleep. I'll just be happy when he wants to hold things to his mouth to munch on other than my hand!