Thread: Temp 38.3 - is it teething?

~Belinda~ Guest

Default Temp 38.3 - is it teething?

My DD has been restless and stopped sleeping through a week ago. She has a temp today of 38.3. She has shown other signs of teething. Her bottom two were through at 4 mnths so I think it may be her top ones.

My book says fevers are not a sign of teething.

Should I head to Dr? Worried...

Bindy, I wouldn't worry just yet. It certainly could be teething. Or it could be something else. Just keep an eye on it and if it stays high then mabye take her to the doctor tomorrow or Tuesday. Babies do get temps without there being a sinister cause all the time. It is mostly a worry if it keeps rising or if panadol doesn't lower it (but no need to try panadol just yet, see how it goes first).

Bindy, like MR said, I wouldn't stress yet. But definitely keep an eye on it, and if it doesn't go down, try some panadol, and if that doesn't work off to the Dr. I personally would give panadol for a temp over 38, if my bub was unhappy as well.

When DS was about 6 months old he had a temp for a few days, but everyone kept telling me it was teething. After two nights of this, I listened to my gut, which was telling me it wasn't just teeth, and took him to the GP. The Dr was sure that he had a virus, so nothing to do but wait it out. But he did say that a temp that high won't be caused by teething, so it's always best to get it checked. He said that teething can cause a low temp, but nothing more. Even though we couldn't do anything for the virus, I felt terrible for not taking him sooner! People love to tell you that teething causes everything under the sun, when in reality it doesn't.

I hope it settles soon for her, it's not nice worrying about your bubba!

~Belinda~ Guest

thanks, just gave her some more nurofen, she has temp of 37.16 which is not too bad. she won't go to sleep though. her cheeks are so red! she has refused her milk, last feed was at 4.30pm, someone tell me they have been through this! please!!

unsure what to do....

Just cuddle up with her. It might be teething

If you are still worried in the morning go to the Dr..

I hate when my kids get temps and there is no reason for it.. Are you wiping her down with a warm not hot or cold washer? How is she otherwise? As for not drinking her milk maybe her throat is sore??

oh and

~Belinda~ Guest

i didn't think of sore throat. she is otherwise ok, just managed to get about 80ml of milk down, she took some of it finally. she has had some water too. will see how she is in the morning, will take her to bed with me tonight and cuddle up with her. thanks aussienic

Glad you got some milk into her.. I hope you both sleep well

~Belinda~ Guest

nic, i hope so too because the last week or so has been a nightmare, she hasn't been sleeping through and she normally does! oh well, it's all a part of it. i will update you in the morning

oh I hear ya on no sleeping.. My Miss was awake from 10:30 till 5 this morning.. on and off anyways.. I was so tired..

Sleep well...

Just give her lots of cuddles, I'm sure she wants her mum Hoping tonight is better for you. If not, just get up and sit on the couch watching telly together! That's what we do when there's sickness in our house! It somehow makes it seem less awful.

Let us know how things are in the morning

~Belinda~ Guest

Woke 12 times last night, no temp, she just tossed and turned all night and whinged.

Went to CHN today as felt like I was losing it, lol!

Nurse was excellent (sometimes they are not so good). She advised us that she is snacking and it is not filling her up. She only has been taking in 100-120ml per feed plus having a small amount of solids. She should be at least having 240ml per feed (4 feeds per day). The lady checked her gums out, she has red, swollen gums all over, has some lumps in her groin and there is evidence of pulling and scratching of her ears which suggests teething. Before each milk feed, we are going to give her those frozen things to suck on (the rubber things you pop in freezer). This will numb her gums before a milk feed. She suggested Bonjela down the track, not so much now.

We went and got new 6 months teats today that are fast flow also. All that sucking of 3 month teats is obviously draining on her and making her gums sore.

So we get home, give her some lunch consisting of chicken soup (thick) and some fruit. She eats it all up and then half hour later, I give her the new teat with 220ml milk. She drank the whole lot in 5 minutes. It was hard at first and she coughed a bit because of all the milk. But she went straight to sleep and slept from 2.30pm-4.30pm. She never goes in her cot through the day and her longest sleep has been maybe half hour through the day, ever!

So we will try and set a new routine and see what happens. I will be adding baby pasta in with her night meal (5pm) as the durum wheat will make her feel fuller for longer. The fruit is apparently good for them but only makes them feel full for half hour or so, I suppose it is like us having a piece of fruit and feeling hungry again in half hour.

We will see how she goes. I feel better knowing that I can start this routine and see what happens, numbing her gums before a feed, giving panadol if she has a temperature and hopefully getting more milk into her, so she is satisfied for longer.

Crossing our fingers this works....4 x 240ml feeds per day sounds more normal. I just have to feed her milk first before solids! OOPS!
    Last edited by ~Belinda~; June 17th, 2008 at 08:12 PM.

I was just thinking about you and wondered how you had been getting on..

I forgot about the teat size thing.. We went through a similar thing with my eldest when he was 3 months old and the lady at the pharmacy told me about teats ..

Hope Madeleine feels better soon and that she lets mummy sleep soon