Thread: 14DPO (IVF cycle), spotting/light bleeding and HPT +ve.... very confused!

Question 14DPO (IVF cycle), spotting/light bleeding and HPT +ve.... very confused!

Hi,

I'm just wondering if anyone is able to shed any light on whether they had similar circumstances as mine leading up to a positive b/t for pregnancy.

Today, I'm 14DPO for my second IVF cycle, and AF was due yesterday. From Tuesday (11DPO) I had myself completely convinced that AF was coming as I had exactly the same symptoms at the same time as my negative cycle back in December (spotting started, BB stopped hurting, cramping started). I did a HPT on Tuesday (not with FMU) and it was negative. Since then I've continued to spot a little, cramp a little, but AF has not come. I did a second HPT this morning, this time with FMU and it was positive. It wasn't a strong positive, but not completely faint either, but the line did start developing straight away.

I'm now worried that I'm going through a chemical pregnancy as I'm still convinced AF is coming - in fact I'm more convinced now, as the spotting has increased since last night and this morning - it's fresher and brighter and the cramping is increasing somewhat.

Perhaps if I had have used FMU on Tuesday's test it would have been positive then too?

I'm really quite confused and my b/t is not due until Monday. Has anyone been in the circumstances/know of anyone where they had some spotting/very light bleeding, a positive HPT and still ended up being pregnant? I'm fairly convinced it's going to be negative by the time the b/t comes round, but to be honest, I'm just confused overall, as I would like to think there was some hope...

Any help would be much appreciated!

Miss C

hi miss c!
    Well i dont know how far along i am in my pregnancy as i havent had a period since birth.
    But i have had spotting (dark brown) the past 3-4 days and cramps. No bright blood / period though.
    I got a BFN last monday and then this morning BFP! it was with a clear blue digital so there is no mistaking !!! So very excited.

I have heard spotting and cramps can be normal in 1st trimester (although i didnt have spotting with dd#1). And i am off to the dr today for a blood test and confirmation! YAY!!!

For my guesses is i am either due for af or in my 5th week?

fingers crossed with that faint BFP!
    Last edited by PinkPalace; February 9th, 2008 at 09:33 AM.

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

miss_c,

bleeding in early pg is common in about 20% of all pgs (that's 1 in 5 women!), and it's entirely possible that you go on to have a healthy pg. If I'd seen this earlier, I would have told you to call your clinic and ask for a BT straight away. But failing that, I guess it's be Monday. I am hoping the bleeding stops, but if it's any consolation, we have had quite a few IVFers who bled in early pg who went on to have healthy live babies (in fact one lady ended up with 2 healthy live babies!)

Bighun. I am truly praying it will be the same for you.

Princessmya - best of luck with your BT! I hope to hear good news for you! My situation sounds similar to yours - and another HPT this morning was positive for me, even though my bleeding is a little heavier now, but still light in comparison to AF (coming in little flows and then stopping for a while) - so I will have hope for both of us, but your situation sounds really really positive!! Good Luck!

Sushee, thank you, thank you! These facts are going to be my saving grace until Monday, as well as some of the stories some of the ladies in AC have shared with me in a thread over there too. I have so needed to hear something like this - I'm almost crying with relief. I want to have as much hope as possible and just be strong until Monday, what ever the bleeding chooses to do next, especially as HPT was a slighter stronger positive this morning. Just have to wait and see what the result is Monday morning, but I want and can wait with hope some more. Thank you!

I had a bleed which I thought was AF, before getting a +ve HPT 3 weeks later . BT said I was 7 weeks along though. Unfortuatly that PG was not ment to be as u/s at 10 weeks showed I had a missed m/c. I guess I'm saying that bleeding can happen and you can still be PG. Many women can go onto have happy and healthy PG. My fingers are crossed you are one of them.

Yes fingers crossed miss c.
    I know of a few girls that continued to have their period every month through pregnancy and have a healthy bub!
    Are you booked in for a bt?

Miss C I think the fact your BFPs have been getting stronger each day is a good sign too!

Thanks everyone for your wonderful support and for the hope that you gave me - it helped me get through a difficult couple of days

I had my scheduled BT through my IVF clinic this morning which came back with a beta level of 25. Unfortunately AF arrived with a vengeance on Saturday afternoon, so it was a long wait to this morning's BT to confirm what we thought and what my clinic now thinks - a suspected bio-chemical pregnancy. My last HPT was on Sunday morning and was still positive, but with the heavy bleeding I figured that our transfered embryo stuck and then unstuck. It seems likely.

The clinic wants to confirm that my levels are dropping, so that there is no concern of ectopic or a non-viable pregnancy occurring.

We'll be able to move on to another IVF cycle after we confirm everything at the next BT, but for now we came really close and will find a way to cope with the feeling of almost making it, helping us have hope that a future IVF cycle will be successful.

Thanks again for all your support and sharing your stories. I wish you all the best of luck whether you're TTC or pregnant or with a precious little one in your arms.

Miss C

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

miss_c,

I'm so sorry to hear of AF arriving and your low level beta. Please take care of yourself.

So sorry miss C

Art Guest

oh no Miss C that is such awful news. Im so sorry to hear it