Thread: Average 40 day cycle

Exclamation Average 40 day cycle

Just wondering when (roughly) would O day be for someone like myself - with an average 40 day cycle?

FF still says ovulation is still not detected - but that I am possibly fertile (orange light)...So I'm hoping that by the time H2B gets home (Xmas Day) I might have a green light from FF. All the same - I would only be on CD 12 - 16 when he's back - not quite midway through the cycle....I'm confused...

Any hints?

Hi Leesa

I had a ?42 day-ish cycle prior to conceiving - I found I ovulated around day 30 and AF would tend to arrive around day 41-44. The last cycle rather threw me out as I had a 55-day cycle, but my ovulations remained about 42 days apart (I was very, very excited when I got to 10 days late, but luckily DH was making me wait until I was 2 weeks late to do an HPT)... typical really, my first "normal" 4-week cycle for ages and I miss out!

Most women with irregular cycles (and irregular can mean just 3-4 days difference) find it easier to track luteal phase... it's usually 10-14 days in a "normal" woman (can be 7-20), but once you know when you ovulate, you can say "I ovulate 14 days before my period, that means with a 40 day cycle I ovulate around day 26". Your luteal phase changes a lot less than your cycle length, so once you know lenghts and stuff you'll know when you're fertile... for me, about 2-3 days around day 30 I would expect ovulation.

Are you tracking mucus or doing OPKs? That can help pinpoint your fertile point too.

Hope that made some sense to you.

thanks Ryn, where do I start with tracking my luteal phase.....

i think i may be purchasing some OPK's very very soon...helps take the guess work out of it all eh?

Hi Leesa, I agree with Ryn. Although I've never had a 40 day cycle (mine are usually 31 - 33) I have learnt from experience that the luteal phase length is more important that the actual length of your cycle.

If you're using FF and have some past cycles already recorded, it will begin to tell you your luteal phase length. The phase before you ovulate (follicular I think) is the one that can change quite a lot from month to month (hence day of O can be quite different).

Checking your CM is also an excellent indicator.

Percy Guest

I had 40 day cycles - I used to ovulate around day 26. I would start by temping (follow the instructions on FF first) to work out your cycle.

hmmm - FF has given me the green light - and i'm on CD9....I'm starting to assume im in my luteal phase already (the phase before I technically ovulate)...

Has anyone ordered one of those luteal charts online?

i guess its always fun to practice BDing anyways....

Hi! I've usually got between a 40-45 day cycle, and I ovulate about 12 days before the end of the cycle (So O around day 28-33). Most women ovulate from 12-15 days before AF arrives. The luteal phase (LP) is the phase from ovulation until your period arrives. That is usually more consistant than the time before ovulation - that is more likely to fluctuate with stress, etc. An OPK will help, but if you keep an eye on your CM and your temps, you'll probably catch the right day! BTW, FF gives the green light to me any time I enter eggwhite or watery CM. My guess is that you are actually not fertile yet, if you do have a 40 day cycle. More likely to be around day 25 or so. But as you said - it's fun to try anyways! Can't hurt!
    HTH!