Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thrush & Ttc

Princess1979 Guest

Default Thrush & Ttc

Hi Gals,

We are TTC#2 and I have had my fare share of thrush! Yuck! What effect does thrush have when TTC? Does it stop the sperm from reaching the egg????

m not quite sure what effect it has on sperm, however if you have intercourse, your partner is most likely going to catch it too

*TamaraP* Guest

Try not to use Thrush treatment incase you are pregnant.
    Use Yoghurt instead. I used Jalna yoghurt.

I have read mixed theories on ttc and thrush.

Most topical treatments are safe to use whilst pregnant (but always check with the pharmacist to be sure.) However inserting the treatment into your vagina is discouraged during pregnancy - pessaries are preferred (the 'tablet's that melt with body heat). Thrush isn't that easy to pass on partner to partner, it used to be theorised that both partners should be treated but that is not believed to be good advice nowdays. Thrush is sometimes found in both partners but more often than not it isn't. If you have recurrent bouts of thrush your partner should be examined to ensure that a pattern of cross infection isn't occuring.

The treatments used for treating thrush if applied in the hours prior to intercourse in theory could act as a sperm inhibitor. As could any treatment like yoghurt etc. Think that the sperm need that watery slippery environment to best swim to the egg - yoghurt and thrush treatments have different consistencies and the thrush treatment is a chemical.

If you have thrush around the time you ovulate I would try and hold off on treatment if possible until after your fertile time. This way you have not introduced any foreign solutions that may affect fertility

If you have what you suspect is thrush I strongly recommend you be examined by a doctor so a firm diagnosis can be made. Thrush is one of those conditions that we put down to itching and burning around the vagina. Sometimes this can be caused as a reaction to soaps or detergents or an infection or irritation even intestinal worms can cause a similar irritation...

Just an aside if you choose to use yoghurt ensure that it is the natural kind with no sugar or honey - thrush just loves sugar!

I hope your symptoms clear up soon and I hope you catch that egg!!!

Princess1979 Guest

Thank you very much for your reply's. I have to explore all avenues as to why we are not catching that egg.
    I never have the itching and burning, just the "cheesy bits".

I doubt it would be the thrush. I had thrush really badly last cycle, right before O. We had a two day cutoff because I was just TOOOOOOO uncomfortable to bd. I got a BFP but unfortunately it was a chem.

Good luck.

Lisa

Everytime I get thrush, my dh catches it. So i disagree and believe it is very contagious.

Glad you found all of our feedback helpful. Those "cheesy bits" are pretty run of the mill discharge with thrush.
    Thrush can range from mild to severe and is usually characterised by itching and burning. Most women who present to health clinics with thrush will come because of the discomfort. I would recommend you get checked out. The doctor or nurse will take a swab of the discharge. If it grows "candida albicans" you will have a positive diagnosis of thrush - this only takes a few days to get the result back. Then you can be treated accordingly. As I said before thrush is highly self misdiagnosed so try and get an exam done to be 100% certain...

Danni I didn't say you can't get thrush from your partner just that it isn't as easy to pass on as once was thought. It was once standard to treat both partners however as I said above this isn't recommended now as very often the male partner hasn't got thrush. When women present with recurrent thrush and have had swabs to ascertain with certainty that they have thrush usually their partners will be swabbed too to exclude cross infection. Obviously if your partner has been swabbed and has thrush also you guys are one of the unlucky ones that have got a pattern of cross infection happening.

As you probably know thrush is a fungal infection. Thrush is found in about 80% (from memory!) of human mouths and gastrointestinal tracts. Women are most susceptible to thrush when they are pregnant, just before their period, (both caused due to the change in the acidity of the vagina) if they wear tight pants made of a non breathable fibre (sweating creates more moisture and warmth) or if they have diabetes.(thrush is a yeast infection which loves glucose!) Because thrush is found in mouths (80%!) oral sex is a way of passing it on. From the mouth of a partner onto the genitals of the other partner. Due to the warm and moist environment of the vulval/vaginal area women are most susceptible to this.

Good luck with it all - it's such an awfully uncomfortable thing - some women get it so bad it hurts to walk... Ouch

I'm not sure about its affect on TTC, but justed wanted to tell you that I know exactly how you feel about getting thrush often! We went through a stage of passing it back and forth to eachother for 4 months! Nothing would clear it, and to make it worse we got it on our honeymoon too (very embarassing having to see the only nurse on the island!)

Best of luck with TTC!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

A safe way to help prevent thrush is with a pro-biotic (e.g. acidophilus). In-Liven (click the Mi-Vitality link) has 13 strains of it, compared to others on the market that only have one or two. The other benefits of it are huge, and it's not fast tracked in foecal matter like some others.

I'm going to cheat and cut and paste as I only have one hand:

By taking In-Liven every day, you will significantly contribute to your health and well-being in many ways. The ingredients contain 26 certified organic living whole foods, 18 amino acids and 13 Lactobacillus bacteria (full spectrum).

The pro-biotics in In-Liven can help:

* Boost your immune system
    * Relieve bowel problems
    * Prevent / combat candida (thrush)
    * Reduce symptoms of fatigue
    * Decrease joint pain
    * Improve skin conditions
    * Clear sinus infections
    * Increase energy levels
    * Create a sense of overall well being

In-Liven will helps re-colonise the intestinal flora and helps restore proper intestinal balance. Suitable for pregnancy, babies, breastfeeding mothers as well as the whole family.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

I once had thrush for four months and NOTHING ever worked to get rid of it!

It wasn't a case of cross-infection as DH didn't get any for the whole time, I was just too damn uncomfortable!

In the end, it turned out that I had a resistant strain of thrush (it survived all the antifungal treatments) and I had to resort to probiotic tablets to get rid of it...

I would take 2 each day, and a third would go where it weren't supposed to go, but it was moist enough to dissolve the capsule casing and it was actually the most comfort I ever got from anything in the whole time! It sounds weird, but in the end it was the only thing that worked.

BW

Princess1979 Guest

bellybelly

Can you get In-Liven from the pharmacy? How long does it last as? It's not cheap to buy! I am one of those people that by all the different vitamins and never finish them. I buy multi vitamins and never finish them, I bought elevit and stopped taking them.

who jinxed me?? I now have HORRIBLE thrush and it hurts so bad. Because I am on cd29 I cant even take canestan I can barely sit down let alone walk!!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Once it makes you feel great though you want to take it everyday, heck I am doing it twice a day now!! That's good for me, especially when it doesn't taste the greatest!!! Multi's are not very concentrated and don't offer you things that In-Liven does - multi's dont have probiotics! If you have been prescribed something, don't stop taking it though! In-Liven is part of a network marketing product and very, very few retailers stock it. It's all online.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

*TamaraP* Guest

I hardly get it... I mostly get it when I am on medication... I really feel for girls who get it often...

On this successful cycle, I had thrush symtpoms early in the cycle so I applied Cannesten topically for relief.

Princess1979 Guest

TamaraP

You have no idea how lucky you are not to get it.

Danni

I'm sorry. I hope I didn't jinx you. Hope you feel better soon!!!!

Danni, I got a LOT of relief from soaking in warm, salty baths when I had it a couple of weeks back.

Lisa

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast