Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did anyone have cramps in very early pregnancy with IVF

Default Did anyone have cramps in very early pregnancy with IVF

Hello All
    Well I had my blood test on Monday and got a BFP HCG level at 511. Had second test on Wednesday still positive with HCG at 1219. I'm not sure what to think though because on and off I have been having some cramps in my lower belly kind of like period cramps. Some days have it some days not. I have had very small flecks of blood when I wipe but not like a period bleed. So not sure what to think. Due to have scan in couple of weeks. Has anyone had any similiar symptoms but with everything turning out ok.

congratulations!
    Cramping in early pregnancy is very normal, regardless of how you conceive. It's because your uterus is stretching out.
    Unfortunately, spotting, or even bleeding, is also not all that unusual.
    Hope all is well with your scan

Yep, I had both spotting and cramps, and some back pain too - all of which drove me insane with worry because it felt like AF was coming, even though I'd had two positive BTs. It really sucks hun, cause there's no amount of reassurance I can give you to make you feel more relaxed. I do recommend that you try and distract yourself though - no doubt a nice dose of morning sickness will be a good distraction soon. In the meantime, can you do something that has nothing to do with pregnancy - a bit of shopping, a weekend away, a good book?

All the best for a happy and healthy pregnancy.

Thanks ladies
    Hi Persephone1 how long did the cramps and spotting last and did your pregnancy stick. Did you have a baby. I'm trying not to worry but I think through of this you over analyse your body and it's every feeling. I'm not really having spotting it is just like an occasion fleck. It's the only way I can explain it. It is mostly the cramps that concern me.

And to top it off I think I am a bit constipated. So it's like guess the cramp or stretching or what this or that feeling is.

From memory, I had spotting on and off for the first 8 or 9 weeks. I remember the first spotting occurred at 17dpo, and I thought I was going to miscarry. It then seemed to happen once a week for a day at a time, with only the slightest amount of light brown blood. The only red blood I got was after having an internal scan with my FS at 6 weeks, and then it was just a smear.

I read once that IVF pregnancies have a slightly higher chance of spotting in early pregnancy, something to do with where the embryo implants in the uterus possibly.

I don't remember much about the cramps or back pain, except that they were definitely there in the first trimester. I'm sorry hun, I can't remember how long it lasted.

And yes, my little sticky bubba is now 1 month old. And he was an ICSI baby too.

How many embryos did have to transferred? I had two transferred but only one survived - the spotting I had might have been the lost embryo, but we'll never know. It really isn't unusual to spot or bleed during pregnancy, as you'll probably see if you google it (DON'T GOOGLE IT! You'll go mad!).

Thank you, you have made me feel bit better. We are ICSI. We transfered 2 embryos. I have googled and yes it was sending me mad so I stopped. By beautiful hubby has been so supportive and lovely. I have a daughter which I concieved naturally. she is now ten. I just don't remember feeling any of this when pregnant with her.

It's been a while, maybe you just don't remember? Could be both have taken too, so maybe you're stretching more due to twins....?
    My first, I had cramping from 4-6 weeks. It was quite painful at first and gradully eased off.
    This time not so much cramping, bu tspotting at 4 weeks and bleeding at 5 & 6 weeks. Only ever had one emby transferred though.
    Glad to hear your hubby is so great

Thanks ladies your responses have made me feel much better. True it may be that both took. I'm not having spotting just a couple of flecks when i wipe( too much info?). like tiny bits of thread is the best way to describe it. And I think at times the progesterone discharge is sometimes a bit discoloured. I'm trying to stay positive and not go nuts or drive my darling hubby nuts. Think I will feel at ease when off all the drugs and get my scan in couple of weeks. Then I can see the little bub or two.

Congratulations Purplechic! That's great news, and great numbers Glad that you're feeling a bit better about things. DH sounds like a trooper!

As for me, we had one ICSI blasty put back. I had quite strong cramping on and off from a few days before my BT up until about 9 weeks, from memory? Its very disconcerting, I know. Crazy that the same symptom that indicates AF is coming, also indicates that everything is going as it should! I've also had spotting twice, once the day before my BT which was brownish, and a tiny bit a few weeks ago which was brighter red in a *TMI* string of mucous, after exerting myself walking up a big hill. And constipation - what a joy. That doesn't make anything easier, does it? Especially the crampy feeling. I've had it quite a bit so far, just another of those lovely things we get to experience!

I think us IVFers are more prone to stress about all the little things, because we've been through a lot to get to this stage. Good that you've stopped Googling, that's the fast lane to insanity! The first scan is awesome, I burst into tears, I was so relieved. Hope time passes quickly for you until then.

All the best for a H & H nine months How exciting if both stuck?!

Well I have a bit a blood each day since I woke at 2am Friday morning. Hubby Rang Dr went for another BT 3rd one now. HCG rose to 2521 so more than doubled. started at 511 then 1219 now 2521. how much blood is spotting. Not sure if I should be concerned. HCG levels are rising well Dr is happy with the levels. Just doesn't make sense. Trying hard to stay positive. Just don't understand how one can have bleed like this and still be ok. So it's not like the start of a normal period it is more stop start. bit of blood then stop. then might get a bit more later.

Hi Purplechic
    Firsty big congrats to you!!
    I am currently 6 and half wks pg and have had mild cramping too. Usually at night but for only 5-10 mins and was not full on like af cramps. It has eased a bit now in the last week but i now have a constant tightning feeling in my uterus...i am taking this as a good sign that things are stretching as they should for bub. I haven't had any spotting but i have heard that this can be normal too so i would try and not worry. Were your progesterone levels good too?
    This worry when we finally get our BFP is awful and takes a lot of power to remain calm and positive, especially when we have been through ivf to get here. I have been trying for a baby for over 5 years now and had 3 m/c so i am really really hoping that this one is the sticky one for us!!

When do you have your scan?
    Wishing you all the very best, thinking of you and sending lots of positive vibes and good thoughts to get you through this nerve-wracking time

Default thankyou

I am so happy to have found this thread as I was trying to remain positive and not stress but I also have been having cramps and was fearing the worst. I had 2 eggs implanted on 29/6/11 blood test on 7/7/11 showed pregnancy hormone level at 16 another blood test on 9/7/11 level at 66 and further blood test on 14/7/11 has my level at just under 600. I don't know if these were good/bad level and if the cramping indicated something? But reading through this post has made me feel a lot better thankyou.

Hi ameski
    It is soooo stressful the first trimester. Cross your fingers and try not to stress. I had bleeding and cramping. Both not happening in my first pregnancy. I had two eggs put in only one took. as long as your hormone levels keep rising it is a good sign. I had sooo many blood tests in the first few weeks. Dr just gave me heaps of blood test request forms so when i was in doubt I'd go have a test. As it turns out all was fine and I gave birth to our beautiful and very healthy baby boy in March. So hang in there and my prayers are for you.

PurpleChic, awesome to read that you have a healthy baby boy - our little ICSI boys are just over 12 months apart!

Ameski, I too had implantation bleeding (spotting) and cramping after my transfer. Try not to stress too much. Your levels are going up so all is good. I of course wasn't a stress merchant (hehehe!!!) I only bought a HPT each day ... you know just in case!! DH found my stash and just shook his head: hey, I wanted to make sure I was still pregnant and if it put my mind at ease well it was money well spent I say!!

I also had a great deal of cramping right through my first trimester with DS1 (who was conceived naturally) - it was everything stretching, by body making room for this tiny little person. Alarming yes, but completely normal.

Default Cramping

Hi girls, i read this thread with great interest, its just the thread i needed to read at the mo- as i had my ET 5 days ago and im having lots of cramping and the 'normal' cramping in the uterus that i get between ovulation and AF. Im naturally inclined to think that my lil 4-cell embryo has not stuck. Surely if it had, i would have different signs to what i normally get? Since haing my lap 2 years ago i started getting pains and cramping between ovulation and AF, never had that before. And this same cramping is happening now just as it normally would.....after reading the thread though, it seems cramping is normal if your pregnant, but its usually normal for me anyway.

So i have nothing to do but sit and wait another 10 days until the BT because i have absolutely no idea, my body is not telling me anything new. I havent been pregnant before, so ive got no idea what my body should be telling me. All i know is, at the moment, my body feels like it usually does before i get another disappointing AF. Im trying to stay positive though and take it in my stride.......anyone else have these monthly cramping experiences that resulted in a good outcome?

Happy to hear of all of your success stories......x

Hang in there hun....sending you lots of hugs

Thanks for the support Cass. Just a waiting game now and deciphering those cramps! (or just forgetting about it and letting it go until BT)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast