Thread: IVF & Weight Gain

Default IVF & Weight Gain

I have notice I have put on quite a bit of weight over these last weeks of IVF drugs. I havent weighed myself to know just how much we are talking about but I dont remember that far back to know if it happened to me before... have others noticed this and did it fall off again after a failed cycle? I am hoping these two embies on board ATM will stick so gaining weight will be continuing but am curious as to what happens if not.
    Can anyone advise?
    Sazz

I'm not sure I'm any help here, Sazz. I'm actually starting to think I'm some sort of freak.

I didn't gain any weight at all until after the trigger shot, when one kg happily settled in. At the worst stage of the OHSS I was carrying 5 extra kg, and when all the fluid finally decided to go away, another kg went with it. So I've actually managed to lose weight over the cycle. I do wonder if it's the fact that I never used the crinone, but there it is. I can lose weight while doing IVF, eating crap and sitting on my bum doing nothing for two weeks.

No help to you at all, but I am interested in the answer as well - is it all because we didn't transfer, or am I just really strange (and lucky!)?

BW

Alex Guest

Hi,
    I'm afraid I'm not much help either as I didn't put on any weight throughout the cycles. However, I did notice that weight was an issue with quite a few people. Once you come off the drugs I am sure it will drop off, it could just be the extra fluid.

On this issue, does anyone know of any decent stores on the internet where you can buy plus size clothing? I know that we are all different shapes and sizes, and I am actually looking for my mum, there doesn't seem to be anything around that isn't made out of polyester!

On this issue, does anyone know of any decent stores on the internet where you can buy plus size clothing? I know that we are all different shapes and sizes, and I am actually looking for my mum, there doesn't seem to be anything around that isn't made out of polyester!

I would try eBay as they have a wide range of Plus Size clothing. I have both most of my maternity clothing from there. Maybe try an australian google search as well.

Sorry no help either.. I didn't put on any either, except prior to EPU due to all the swelling in my stomach, I look like I was about 5 months pregnant, and all the ladies in the waiting room at the ultrasound clinic used to look at me and goo and gah.. the obviously assumed by the size of my stomach I was well and truly up the duff. Approx 24 hours after EPU, I was back to my normal weight again....

Good luck

leis xx

Hi Sazz,
    I have never been as for along the IVF track as you - but i was told to weigh myself before everything began, and monitor it during the process. Apparently weight gain is a common side effect of the drugs. (And then also, if there is excessive weight gain it could be OHSS.)
    I haven't gained anything yet myself, but i'll keep and eye on this thread to see what others say. The nurse did tell me to expect to swell up A LOT before the pick-up. Glad to hear, Leis, that it goes away pretty quickly.
    Jo

Yep I put on weight about 4 days after stimms and unfortunatly with 4 stim cycles under my belt the weight can stay on. Its mainly due to the amount of fluid building up in your ovaries. Not all women gain but unfortunatly this little back duck did.
    Hugs
    Shazz.
    xx

*las* Guest

Yes I often put on a few kilos and it's slowly crept up over a few cycles.

I'm determined to be really active between cycles and watch what I'm eating from now on!

I have put on 3.5 kilos in 2 weeks . Ilook so puffy and last night at hubbies 30th birthday I was asked how all the IVF stuff was going and then told" wow I can really notice youre puffy youre boobs are alot bigger is that because of the drugs you have to take?" I quickly replied "of course" but deep down I know ive been taking advatage and enjoying one too many frozen cokes they are sooooo good So as of tomorrow its back on my sure slim diet I I can stick to it .........

hi sazzafrazz

I put on an enormous amount of weight in the first 5 days. I'm quite big anyhow at 84 kgs but I've been the same weight for around 4 years and I'm very fit, swim alot, pilates, gym. I didn't eat as much as I normally did and put on 5.7 kg - most of which except around 2 kg came off about 5 days after the trigger.

its mostly fluid retention, reduce the amount of carbs you eat and drink plenty of water.

hope it helps
    cia

Here is some good news for those who put on wieght during IVF I went from 69 to 74 in 5 days and now am back to 70.4 So I guess all that stress food and no excercise only hurt a little bit. Hoping to get back to 69 so I will be eating right now and walking everyday until the dreaded TWW is over and by some miracle I get BFP Ill just keep walking if not its back to gym to loose 6 kilos.

I put on a couple of kilos during my cycles I was about 59 kilos to begin with and ended up 65 kilos but it started to fall off a few days after the transfer and now I'm back down to 60 kilos that last damn kilo just won't budge, not suprising with the stress eating I have been doing lately

I have refused to get on the scales to confirm my fears but MAJOR weight gain here. I have had a nasty case of OHSS though and am hoping a lot is just fluid which should eventually go away. fingers crossed cause I feel like a water bed at the moment!

Yes i put on 3kgs with my 1st PGD ivf but lost 2kg before the 2nd go at Reg ivf which i again put on weight 2kg then i got my BFP the 1kg left from the 1st ivf and the 2kg from the second made me 3kg heavier before i even got pregnant but i only put another 6kgs on during my pregnancy so all up 9kgs now that i have had Ella i still have 4kgs lingering and doesnt want to budge.