Thread: Vitamin A in Milo - is it safe during pregnancy??

Lilo Guest

Question Vitamin A in Milo - is it safe during pregnancy??

Hi everyone,

Hopefully you can help me. I was recently advised to drink Milo to increase my Iron intake. I noticed the other day that Milo contains retinol acetate version of Vitamin A, which I've read can be harmful during pregnancy.

I rang Nestle this morning to get clarification, but did not receive any helpful advice other than being asked where I've heard about the safety issues with Vitamin A in pregnancy.

Can anyone help??

Im not much help, but i had alot of Milo in my last pregnancy and again this time. No probs for me or my 2 DD's from having Milo

ETA: http://www.bellybelly.com.au/forums/...amin-milo.html

I had heaps of milo during pregnancy (never heard of vit a being an issue during pregnancy and I was being extra extra careful) and my bubs popped out oerfect last week.

Yes its perfectly fine, I asked my dr & ob and both said fine

I ate a TON of milo during my pregnancy ... was the only thing I could keep down some weeks, and our son was born perfect ... regulation two heads and everything ...

But we ARE Taswegians so that's ok ...

Enjoy with wanton abandonment sweetness ... heaven knows you need all the extra goodness you can get ...

Congratulations and enjoy your bonny baby belly ...

mmmmmmmm milo... yep i eat alot of it too

Chippy Guest

Vitamin A is only dangerous in high doses. There's no way milo would have high doses of anything but sugar. I've heard some people are recommended to have a bit of milo each day during pregnancy because it is fairly rich in the good vitamins.

Well thats good to hear as I have been scoffing into milo lately... Cant seem to get enough of it.

Mmmmmm yum milo!! I have to hide and ration it out for my DS #1... I thought I put a lot in a cup...lol. Damn now I feel like milo!

i lived off milo as soon as i found out i was pregnant..

I lived on Milo while pregnant too and also found it a help when breastfeeding...it was just like an extra meal supplement.

I had heaps of milo too.

What a stupid reply from Nestle (pfft just another reason to loathe them LOL) Everyone knows not to eat liver etc because of the excess vit A. It's a perfectly reasonable question to ask of the vit A content.

Quote Originally Posted by Liz View Post
    Everyone knows not to eat liver etc because of the excess vit A.
    lol...not me *hides under her rock*... seriously not that I'd be tempted to eat liver EVER but I didn't know that. Didn't know about the vitamin A thing either. Sometimes I wonder how I ended up with normal babies!

hehe - I thought it was listed on those handouts about foods to avoid?

I think we end up with normal babies by just being balanced with everything We don't go nuts on the latest fad vitamin/supplement (Omega-3 comes to mind!) and don't go nuts on the foods to avoid either

Lilo Guest

Smile Milo in pregnancy

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and feedback. Its reassuring to know that I'm not the only one who loves a strong daily dose of Milo

I'm another one who had HEAPS of Milo (on Rice Bubbles for brekky plus in hot drinks many times a day) while preggers with DS...and again so far with this one. I LOVE Milo when preggers, am addicted to it I guess... My DS is fine so I'm hoping/guessing that it's okay...