Thread: Where do you get raspberry leaf tea or extract?

Question Where do you get raspberry leaf tea or extract?

I've finally looked into the benefits of raspberry leaf and have decided I want some. I will take tablets or tea, it doesn't matter. Can I get it from Coles or Woolworths? I'm new to Australia so I don't know where to get these things.

Percy Guest

I got mine from a health food shop - try there.

I've also seen it in a chemist too, in the vitamin section. Not sure about the superamrkets.

Sometimes Coles & Woolies have it although I haven't seen it lately in our local ones but all health food shops would stock it.

I picked up some from Priceline the other week when in Melbourne. I got the Blackmores brand, 84 tablet bottle. It says you're meant to take 6 a day which means I only have a 2 week supply so I was thinking of taking only 2 or 3 a day and buying some tea bags as well from the local health food shop.

I had to get mine from the local homeopath because I couldn't find it in the supermarkets (and I asked, they just don't stock it).

melr030780 Guest

At how many weeks, do we start taking these tablets..

Out of interest..

Cheers
    Mel

The advice seems a little mixed. SOme sources say to avoid it like the plague in early pregnancy and others say to take it all through the TTC and early pregnany stages. The bulk of the infor I can find and the most medically sound advice I've found is that you should take it from around 32-36 weeks onwards and whilst breastfeeding is becoming established as it's also meant to promote breast milk production and flow.

I'm going to start taking it around 34 weeks.

hope that helps.

Dosn't it promote labour?

Cass I believe it actually helps tone the uterus so that you have more efficient contractions, it doesn't actually cause labour to start. Hopefully someone will correct me if i'm wrong. I think I better go and get myself some though.

I think it tones uterine muscles and encourages breastmilk production.

The info I had was to start it at 8m (so 36w), but my homeopath said that 34w was fine. But then, he is selling the stuff!

You can fget the tea in teabags from Woolies or Coles, but from the health food aisle rather than the tea/coffee section........

I took it from around 35 weeks......drank gallons of the stuff......I love it!

Aghh kewlies... Might have to get me sum of that! Any natural way to help is a positive in my books!

kiki Guest

I actually know the midwife that did the research on Raspberry leaf tea and this is what she found in the study:
    1) Drink the tea, the tablets were of no effect at all
    2) You can commence it in the first trimester of pregnancy and the most effect was found when the women drank 1 cup a day in the first trimester, 2 cups a day in the second trimester and 3 cups a day in the third trimester.
    3) it WILL NOT send you into labour, it only tones the uterus so that when it does begin to contract of it's own accord it does so very efficiently. The reason it's only reccommended from 36 weeks is purely legal, so that if you went into labour (which would have happened without the tea) you can't sue cos the baby is due anyway.
    You are best to buy good quality from the health food shop and if you are already in the 3rd trimester drink it to your hearts content!!! you can add milk or anything else if it makes it more palitable.
    I drank it by the bucket load and had 2 very quick and extremely powerful labours of 3 and 1 hrs! I swear by it.

hehe - all very different advice! The fact sheet we were given said to take it from about 32 weeks.. and to stop after the birth because it can adversely affect milk production! I was also told you need to drink about 6 cups a day and that it's not a very nice drink.. so I opted for the tablets.

From other info I've read, there's actually no conclusive studies on the effects of it, it's more that it doesn't cause any harm.. so it's worth a try!

I drank it with my #1 started at 1 cup/day at 34wks and up it each week until I was having 3x a day. DS was born at 36wks after a 5hr labour. I thought it was horrid stuff and actually drank it cold mixed with juice. This time around I am drinking it cold still but with honey and sugur - still makes me gag though :-) Got mine from the health food shop. all the best