Thread: Any VBAC Veterans out there?

Default Any VBAC Veterans out there?

I would love to hear your story I had an emergency c/s after 27 hrs of labour due to distress. I am hoping to have a VBAC next time, and am wondering if anyone has any advice. Are there any questions I should ask my OB?

TIA

*hugs*
    Cailin

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

I don't think there are many Obs out there that would do a VBAC these days due to all this indemnity [email protected] that is going on, I do know midwives encourage mums to do so - has anyone asked for a VBAC before and found their Ob was not interested?
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Karyne Guest

My first daughter was born by caesarean and I have since had two VBAC's. Both times I had different obs 'cause I was in different states but they were both really encouraging of my decision. To the point with my third that I was two weeks over and my ob was still helping me to achieve a VBAC without induction (which they wont do after a Caesarean). Just check out which ob you choose because some are known to be caesar "happy" even with your first.

So if you have any questions fire away....

Karyne

We are currently ttc and this will be my 3rd pregnancy. I had a c-section with Jack and am hoping to have a VBAC this time. I am concerned as with both my previous pregnancies I was induced due to high blood pressure. I am hoping that it won't be the same this time and am keeping my fingers crossed for a VBAC. Having said that, if it was best for me and my baby to have a c-section again ... I wouldn't hesitate.

I must add that I had a csection with Jack as he was stuck No distresss and his first apgar was 9 and then 10. He was 9lbs 8 1/2ozs and was 57 cms long. Even though I am almost 6ft tall he managed to get his head wedged in the wrong position and couldn't make his own way out. They even measured him 3 times after he was born to make sure they hadn't made a mistake!!!!!.

Brooke M Guest

Hi ladies.

I'm desperately hoping for a VBAC this time around, my obst is very supportive and is all for helping me reach my goal if 1 it is what the baby wants and 2 it is what I want. He is the same obstetrician that delivered Theo by emergency caesarian due to placental dysfunction.

Dr Blair is all the more confident as he did the first c-section and I have the tiniest scar - he said he also only needed to make a small incision in the uterus, which he knows he did a good job of repairing hehe. So he's not worried about uterine rupture.

Not keen that if I have a VBAC I will have to be continually monitored, which will 'tie me down' so to speak for a good part of the labour...small price to pay tho!

Thank you so much for all your replies!!!!

The one thing I am afraid of is that I had Paris in the public system so I can't really track down the dr's to see how big the incision was etc etc. Because I know that information can help the Dr's to know whether I am at risk of uterine rupture.

You have all given me so much to think about. Thank you

Kelly and Brooke I hope we get our VBAC's!

*hugs*
    Cailin

Hey Cailin.

All your labour/delivery information will be in your file at the hospital so when you fall pregnant again just ask them to look it up for you. My midwife last week went through everything that happened during the labour and delivery with Kameron and filled in some of the missing blanks that I had.

Love

kelli Guest

I am planning a vbac with this baby. IMO it is not upto the OB (I am anti-OB) it is your choice and if you want a vbac then find another OB who is supportive or go Public where the midwives will support you!

Thank you both for your replies, I can't wait to see how things go for you Kelli gooduck!

I just found out that the OB I had wanted to have (when I eventually get my ) no longer works at the hospital I wanted to go to. So now I have to either find a different OB or a different hospital. My Dr recommended going on hospital tours now and finding out what each hospital policy was, and what Dr's were recommended by staff for VBAC's etc. So we will probably look into that soon.

Once again thanks for sharing, all info is extremely valuable!

*hugs*
    Cailin

Taylor Guest

I was desperate to have a vaginal birth with my second baby. I told the doctor what I wanted as I felt I knew what went wrong with the first delivery. He made sure that the babies head was smaller than the first and then induced me so that the baby was smaller. I gave birth on the due date and everything went well. I am really glad I did it.

Taylor

awahini Guest

Default VBAC

I had an emergency c-section six and a half years ago, bub was distressed after 22 hours of labour and she was breech. (turned the night before she was due - cheeky girl!). I had problems with my scar weeping and slightly splitting only days after - blasted staples. No fun at all. Decided I would never have staples ever again.

After a few years getting into the motherhood groove and juggling my new lifestyle, we got to bub no.2 by then my scar was well heeled. Having a VBAC is called 'trial of scar' according to info I got from my local public hospital. Very supportive of VBAC.

On both occasions I have gone thru. the team midwife system as I find it to be more personal. Basicly by the time the baby is due you have had some contact with one of the team midwives that will eventually support and guide you thru. the labour. I couldn't see the point in spending $ on an Ob who may end up on holidays or helping someone else deliver, so you get a midwife anyway.

Our girl is now 16 months old. I went into labour naturally - four days early which I expect had something to do with the rasberry leaf tablets. Anyway four hours later with the help of hubby, excellent guidance from a wonderful midwife our girl no.2 was born.
    No.3 is due 30th Sept and yes doing team midwife again. =D>

Thank you for sharing your story awahini. I love about successful VBAC's it give me great hope

Congratulaions on #3 and welcome to BB

*hugs*
    Cailin

*Beccy* Guest

Hi, my name is Rebecca and I had a c-section with my first daughter. My OB was fantastic and let me go (after my waters broke 4 weeks early) just under 24hrs to see if I could deliver naturally...but I only got to 5 cms and I had to have a ceasarian. I was disappointed, but my OB said that the next one will probably come early again (as I am only small and there is no room left at 36wks) and that I could try to have a VBAC.

I am excited about this and hope that the next little baby (when we decided to TTC#2) will be born naturally! Fingers crossed.

Good luck to everyone out there wanting a VBAC. Take care.
    Becky

I had a c section for my 3rd baby after an unsuccessful attempt at getting him to turn - he was breech. I have now been told that there is no reason why I couldn't have delivered him naturally. The OB actually told me this while he had me open on the op table.
    I have decided to have a vbac this time as my first 2 labours where completely natural and quite quick. I am planning a water homebirth this time around with a private midwife. I have done alot of reserarch on the subject of uterine rupture and have found that the risk really isn't as high as many Obs would have you think. Something around 0.4% (or 1 in 250) actually. I found a great site that has heaps of information on it about vbac's it is called birthrites.
    Have a look at it I'm sure you won't be disappointed, it's all about giving you an informed choice.

Take care
    Trish