Thread: 'Birth party' musings...

Question 'Birth party' musings...

So have been thinking quite a bit lately about the birth I want this time around...
    I am going to have a VBAC (like the positive affirmation there? lol) and will be in a hospital. DH is against me having a homebirth for a number of reasons, so hospital it is.

But I have been thinking about Doulas, etc and support persons... And I was thinking that I would actually love to be surrounded by strong women...all of them lol
    I would love to be in a room with all those women I respect around me to cheer me, and understand and keep things normal. Champagne and lemonade lol

Not sure what DHs exact thoughts are, would love him to be there, but just have this feeling I will need to be around people who have BTDT and understand the process, who I don't have to worry about, who can distract me when I need to be and keep me focused when I should be.

What do you think? If someone invited you to be there with a whole group of people, what would you think/say?

I think with the right people, then it would be amazing. Like women and communities of old - the wise women to bring life into the world

yeah, what Kazbah said!

My FIL told me about a birthing party he attended a few years ago, the mother and her friends set up a teepee on top of a big hill, with a fire and drumming, chanting and dancing etc...obviously a bit different to what you had in mind but kinda the same...anyway, its a great idea, but dont the hospitals have limits on attending persons? I know I was told only 2 people but ended up with 3 until I had to go in for surgery (cs) If I could have a home birth I would invite a few select persons and family to be there. (I can dream, right??)

Quote Originally Posted by Kazbah View Post
    I think with the right people, then it would be amazing. Like women and communities of old - the wise women to bring life into the world
    agreed personally i would think i was so lucky to be oen of those ppl

Check out Kelle Hampton''s blog! I was so inspired when I read her DD2's birth story (for a number of reasons otherwise) but she did this and it just seems right!

I think it's a great idea.
    It would depend on the hospital as to whether or not your could do it though, At the Angliss in the delivery suit you can only have 2 people in with you but in the birth center across the hall you can have as many people as you want.

I think you need to create what you feel you need! If that be a group of supportive people, so be it.

I firmly believe that the visualisation of your birth is really important and having a strong mindset and idea of your birth will go a long way to making it happen or at the very least assist in getting the birth you want. I know that is how I worked towards my VBAC. Although you never really know how you are going to feel when the time comes... I had plans of having a number of different support people there but in the end did not call any of them! Partly because my labour was so fast and partly because I just didn't want the added stimulation of others around me. I was quite internally focused. Still, in preparing for the birth I had really strong ideas about what I wanted, worked towards getting it all in place then began to think through other variations so I was ready for lots of different outcomes.

I think the idea of a group of supportive people is really lovely, it makes me think of my sister-in-law who is Sudanese. She remembers watching her mother give birth back in Sudan when she was a child. At the time of the birth, she would go to a special place, a tree near the village. The midwife and other birth support people would come either by word of mouth or by intuition. They would form a circle around her to create a 'birth room' and help her through her labour. I always thought it sounded very beautiful. (Then of course they came and supported her after birth so she did not leave the baby or bedroom for 40 days after birth - that sounds good too!!) So women around the world have had what you want for centuries. It works!

Quote Originally Posted by dragoncookie View Post
    Check out Kelle Hampton''s blog! I was so inspired when I read her DD2's birth story (for a number of reasons otherwise) but she did this and it just seems right!
    Exactly what I was gonna say! The entry to read is Nella Cordelia's Birth Story. It doesn't focus on the Birth Party, but Kelle talks a little bit about how supported she felt, and just how much she enjoyed her birth with all of her friends around her.

Warning though, you'll need tissues - she's a very emotive writer, and its easy to imagine its all happening to you...

I think its an awesome idea!!!! And exactly the same thing I am thinking of doing (but a home birth).

I have asked 3 friends (2 BB and one from another forum I know!) and I will have DH (of course) and my midwife (of course) and I'm hoping that my chiro lady will come and support me as well.

After all - it is a time for celebration, a time for a party - its someone's birthday!!!

Thats what I reckon Mel!

Just not sure now if I will be able to at the hospital, and DH is dead against me having a homebirth Maybe I will just have to tell the hospital to shove their policies where the sun don't shine and if I want 5 people in the room with me, there will be 5 people in the room with me! lol