Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 18 of 46

Thread: Breech Baby at 34 weeks

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Sydney's Norwest
    Posts
    4,954

    Angry Breech Baby at 34 weeks

    and already they are offering a C section...

    Ok, so I know it's not me. But yesterday I took SIL for her hosp appt. with the Dr this time.

    He has changed her dates by 2 weeks according to her 20 week scan, bringing her to 34 weeks now instead of 32. So anyway, when he was checking bubs position he couldn't find his head. He got out the portable ultra sound and found out bub was breech, he's bum first. He then got his stuff together and said he had to go talk to his boss to find out what her options were. WT!!

    He comes back, draws a pic of bubs position and says you have 3 options, a vaginal breach birth, a c section and a ECV. Shocked the hell out of me that he offered the vag birth, and yep I was right, those words may have escaped his lips but at the end of the day it doesn't seem like an option at all.

    What surpised me was that he said come back next week at 35 weeks and if bub hasn't turned we'll book the c section. They will do it at 38 weeks. So now the pressure is on SIL. I have told her to decide what she wants to do. Get it clear in her head, read and absorb as much as possible. She doesn't want a c section so she needs to be prepared for a fight.

    He has also booked her in for a scan next Tuesday to check bubs posi, then she has her midwifes appt, then after that she is trying an ECV. Really hoping bub moves for her before then. What a stupid Dr though, stressing her so much when she still has a good 6 weeks to go.

    I got her to book in for accupuncture for Friday and some moxibustion. Hopefully this will get the bub moving, his bum isn't set into her pelvis yet so fingers crossed.

    I have also suggested to SIL that instead of agreeing to their C section date that she tells them that she wants to wait to go into labour herself. This way bub is ready and there is no risk of them taking out what could potentionally be a 36 week baby.

    Oh Yeah, the reason for booking the c section so early. Because dates fill up fast !!!


  2. #2

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Good ole NZ !!
    Posts
    1,870

    Default

    OMG.. That is ridiculous..... I am pretty sure that babies can turn just about up till the last minute cant they.... and as for booking up fast.. what happens in an emercency c-sect is needed... "um sorry we are booked up, can you hold on for a week or 2.. WTF!!!!!"

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia
    Posts
    8,980

    Default

    Can you get a copy of Breech Birth: Woman Wise by Maggie Banks? Its very good and might give her confidence. He may have all these conditions for her though, like an episiotomy (which maggie banks says is not required), epidural, continuous monitoring etc as per the RCOG website. But I know for a fact not all Obs even do that If she is confused, tell her to say no, I need more time to think. Nothing like a rushed decision. If they put the pressure on about spaces filling up, then tell them it will just have to be an emergency caesarean then LOL.

    Can she also book a one on one with a Calmbirth Professional? They have great success rates with hypnobirth/calmbirth and turning.
    Kelly xx

    Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

    BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Sydney's Norwest
    Posts
    4,954

    Default

    Kelly, she is going in as a public patient so not like she can hugely bargain with her OB. I told her that if the Dr doesn't want to do what she wants that i's not too late to change hospitals. LOL.

    Yeah I had thought that they might go really strrict on how she will have to birth. I have been told that the best way to birth a breech in on all fours. Can't really do that with an epidural now, can you.

    Well, there's the thing. It's not like bub is going to pop out in 5 seconds flat, if labour starts and she decides she wants the caesarean then so be it. Dr was giving her horror stories of breech babies coming out and compressing cords if they come feet first. I do understand this is a possibility with a footling breech, but this is a complete breech bub. His butt is coming first. Hopefully he turns and all of this stress will be for nothing.

    Where would we get a copy of that book Kel, and would it be here in time ??

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    in a land of screaming kids.
    Posts
    1,802

    Default

    Bub will probably turn. This is her first right? They often don't turn till late in the pgcy. Tell her not to stress, maybe start getting her into positions to encourage bubs to turn (on hands and knees leaning forward is a good one I've been told) and tell her it's her choice. She doesn't want to look back and think "if only" I'd given bub more time, he/she might have turned and come all by it'self. She won't know what her body is capable of if she doesn't try and a womans body usually does the right thing and bubs will too.... Tell her to hold out if that's what she wants. Keep pushing the dates back, tell them she will come back in a weeks time and will decide then, and keep doing that till the actual due date (or beyond, whenever she feels there is no more time to wait, or Labour happens!). Goodluck and she is one lucky woman to have you supporting her Trish! She knows what she wants, she should hold out as long as possible to give herself every chance of achieving that goal! They cannot force a C/S, they can only try to scare her into it. The more knowledge she has, the less likely it is that they will be able to scare her into it. Good on you for being her advocate Trish!

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia
    Posts
    8,980

    Default

    Lots of midwives have them, maybe ring a few in NSW or try a library? You can always get one from Amazon, I find them to be quite fast, just choose a reputable seller. Or try Capers Bookstore.
    Kelly xx

    Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

    BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia
    Posts
    8,980

    Default

    A-ha! $38.95 on capers on their homepage even!
    Kelly xx

    Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

    BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Sydney's Norwest
    Posts
    4,954

    Default

    Thanks a heap for that Kelly. I will let her know

  9. #9

    Default

    I know the date thing for bookimg c-sections are right they do get booked in fast. I had mine booked in from 24wks and when i asked to change it at 33wks it was all booked out. If a emerg comes in the elective is pushed back.

    Maybe your SIL can have the date booked in anyway and in the meantime get as much information as she can to have the baby vag.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia
    Posts
    8,980

    Default

    I think its a mental thing too, to book it in. Easier to succumb to it if you do. I think she shouldn't, because then she is going to be in the frame of mind that she doesn't need/want one. Inconvenience to elective caesars is the doctor's fault, not the woman. She SHOULD be allowed a breech vaginal birth.
    Kelly xx

    Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

    BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Sydney's Norwest
    Posts
    4,954

    Default

    I'm with you on that one Kelly. I think if you know that it's there for backup your more likely to succumb to the idea of it.

    Like if Mark were to leave the automatic car at home and the manual I know I'd jump in and drive the auto. It's less stress for me. I don't do manual too well.

    Not that I'm saying the caesar is less stress but it's not as hard a fight.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    QLD
    Posts
    3,068

    Default

    There i still time for her baby to get into the correct position.
    One trick I use for breech babies is to get mum to rest on elbows and knees for 20 mins each day. She can do this on the bed, floor, lounge, anywhere that is comfy.
    Other things she could try is to shine a bright torch on the lower part of your tummy also get a radio and put it low down on your tummy with music playing or get DP to put his head down there and talk to the baby
    You could also try acupuncture/pressure.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia
    Posts
    8,980

    Default

    There is a good chance bubs will, but they like to caeser 38w, bub often turns just before birth. Like I have said before, I was breech until 8 days post-dates, born 9 days post-dates. Prob is, if baby stays breech you have less time to read up later. So I think $40 is a good investment/insurance policy
    Kelly xx

    Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

    BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    857

    Default

    My friend's baby was breech and the public hosp said there was no way they would let her have a vaginal birth. She would have to go to Monash if she even wanted to try. She tried various positions to turn the baby but was unsuccessful. They let her labour for 17 hrs before doing an emergency C/S because her doctor wasn't available. I have heard great things about acupuncture to turn breech babies, good luck to your SIL Trish - she is lucky to have your support.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    cowtown
    Posts
    8,276

    Default

    My friend's baby (well twin 1) was breech so the booked her in for a c/s. When she got there on the day, they checked again and the baby had turned, so they let her go home & she ended up having the twins vaginally.

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Sydney's Norwest
    Posts
    4,954

    Default

    Thats fantastic Rachael. Suprised they still didn't push the c section for the twins.

    Good on her

  17. #17

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    1,814

    Default

    That's crazy! My son was breech until 32 weeks and my OB wasn't concerned about that at ALL. He turned as most of them do.
    I hope your SIL has the gumption to dig in for a fight....that's really disgraceful that they're writing her off like that already All the best to her.

  18. #18

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    227

    Default

    Hi everyone,

    Im Trish's SIL, just thought i would say a big thanks for all the support and kind words. I know with Trish behind me i will be able to make the right decision, if it comes to that(*fingers crossed* it doesnt).

    Hoping bubs will turn *fingers and toes crossed*

    Simone xxx

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •