Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Breech Baby at 34 weeks

good luck Hun. lachaln turned at 37 weeks...
    so it can happen dont give up!!!!!!
    your lucky you got Trish there.
    xoxoxoxox

I think it was around 34 weeks that Tallon was still breech. And my next visit we were to discuss c/s. I was terrified!

Anyway - I did the head down bum up thing (but not very well.. .and couldn't stay like that long enough LOL) but what did the trick was DH in a firm voice telling him to turn around! LOL! He spoke to the very bottom of the belly, a couple of nights (we did the torch thing too) and next ob visit - he had turned! yay!

Plenty of time to turn, but yeah - the OB was ready to book me in. I discussed it with him, about going into labour first, but he said scheduled c/s is safer than emergency. Not sure why? probably like any other surgery, you can fast etc? So yeah - I would have had a fight on my hands had Tallon not turned.

Yes, its great. she had the twins at the Royal Womens in Melb, and they were find for her to have a VB, as long as the first twin was head down. It was her second pg though, and she is a very assertive person (and nurse) so she'd have put up pretty good arguments to get the birth she wanted.

Kirsty77 Guest

I think it depends on the hospital as I live rural with a crappy hospital and Jasmine was breech for a while and they said that if she didn't turn I'd either have a c/s or go to another hospital, we live hours away from another hossie though. I'm betting bub will turn though. Most cases they do.

Does she live in Sydney Trish??You;d think any Sydney hossie would let her deliver a breech bub!!

Kirsty, yup we live in Sydney. She is going as a public patient though so isn't under a private OB.

I guess at the end of the day, she has to want it bad enough to push hard enough for it. I can only make suggestions, like the accupuncture and positioning's, it's up to Simone to do what she wants with them.

Heres hoping Fletch!

Well im going to try everything to gets bubs to move down there, but if he doesnt then ill have to make the decision. Im not to worried about the pain factor, any birth hurts right!? Its only bubs thats worries me, i just want the best thing for him.
    I have been reading up on vaginal breech births, some good some not so good. Then theres the c-section, which im not to keen on being cut open, but if its better for bubs then i will do it.

But i guess its all in his court right now ,

Simone

Simone, I suggest getting on hands and knees and tilting forward....it really does help turn bubs!

I have tried just about everything to turn mine, stubborn little so and so.. it came down to the position of the legs and how long bub has been in breech posy with mine. The legs are straight which means it is alot harder to somersault and also bub has been bum down for months DOH!

I was talking to a friend of mine today, who told me that she had one of her children vaginally, and the baby was a complete breech. She said it didn't seem quite as painful as a normal vag (forget the term) as the bum is softer than the head. I think she also said that they didn't realise until the birth that it was a breech baby, but the doctor let her go ahead.
    I hope you manage to get the baby to turn for you though.

Good luck Netty, there is still hope!
    Netix- yes i read that the bum is much softer than the head, im just scared about the horror stories where the feet come out one at a time and the doc was saying there is a chance bubs can get stuck aswell!

Look, I'd be like you Shorty, but I'd be terrified that if something went wrong, that I would always blame myself. What i'm trying to say is whatever decision you make, make sure it's YOUR decision, and know that you made it with the best intention and information you had at your disposal.
    I think the point above about the hospital making one lady labour for 17 hours before they would do an emergency c/s is a valid one, and take that into consideration. Also, consider getting an ob now (it's NOT too late just lots of ringing around) check out what doctors work at what hospitals so if you can't go private you can at least maybe have a doctor that is sympathetic to your cause. Can a public hospital tell you how you can and can't birth?? If so, I'll never go public as I was considering it for next time!
    Anyway, good luck with your bubby, and we will all wait with bated breath to read the announcment from Trish that your bubby arrived naturally, and and healthy!

Good luck, Shorty. Hopefully he'll turn and all of this worry will have been for nothing. You're lucky to have such a great SIL, though, that knows what shes on about. I know that Trish wants the best for you and your baby, and just wants the best possible outcome for her little nephew.
    Last edited by hannanat; February 1st, 2007 at 09:16 PM.

Nickel, I think when it comes to anything to do with our babies we only want what is best for them, and of course we always blame ourselves if anything happens to them. That even includes a skinned knee.

If this seems that I am pushing what I want onto Simone then you are wrong. I truely only want what is best for her and why on Earth would I want to put my nephew at risk.

I want Simone to make an informed decision, with all of the info that I can share with her and that she can find. Not just the stuff the hospital wants to tell her, and all of the scare tactics they use. There are also positive stories out there, it's just a shame Dr's fail to share those ones.

Having a c section doesn't only change Simone's birth this time, it changes every other birth she has, meaning that they will see as a high risk patient, no birth centre will touch her. She will have to have monitored labours and birth's. What a shame if it has to come to that.

Still if that is what is seriously required, or infact that is what Simone wants then I will back her 120%. Afterall, that is what friends and family are supposed to do.

Natalie, thanks for that hun. You are totally right, I only want what is best for all involved.

Thank you nickel, i understand completely where you are coming from. I would never be able to forgive myself if something happened to this baby, so im going to try my hardest to be well informed, when and if i have to make the decision.
    Unfortunately im not covered by private health care and i don't work atm so it would be impossible to get my own ob. As we are only relying on DP's income and the help of MIL and FIL.
    As for the public hospital, i think in some ways they can very much push you into doing it 'their' way. As Trish said, i was offered a Vaginal breech birth, but the offer was pushed aside very quickly. I would also have to find a doctor who would deliver my baby that way, as most don't do this anymore.

Thank you for your kind words,

Simone

Oh and thanks Natalie, i know Trish is a great SIL.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Breech birth (esp. frank breech) is safe with the right care provider - often where it's gone wrong is with an inexperienced care provider, who takes the same 'managed' approach as a normal vaginal birth, but it should be more hands off.

The width of the hips is about the same as the head, so no diff there with size... but if I was offered breech birth with an inexperienced carer (i.e. none or little breech birth exp.) I would go elsewhere.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

Kelly I have heard of quiet a few midwives who actually prefer you to birth in water with a breech as the water actually supports the baby, leaving bub hands free.

Hopefully this acupuncture works this afternoon and none of this is needed anyway. Fingers crossed.

Hope the accupuncture went well today Simone

Thanks Nat. Bub did start to move alittle while we were there but we don't think he has turned yet.

Bonus I got a session of accupuncture too for my migraines for free

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast