Thread: Breech VB

Default Breech VB

Has anyone here successfully VB'd a breech baby?

I have a few questions on the off chance that my baby doesn't end up turning around.

Cheers.

i will come back with some info for you.

http://bellybelly.com.au/forums/birt...-bit-long.html
    this is definatley a great one..

my gf had a vbac breech at home. although i havent experience a breech baby my self i can try and answer your q's from what i have read and also know from friends who have had breech babies

Not experienced myself in this matter, but my MUM did have a VB Breech (bum first!) with my sister. My mum is TINY and my sis was 7lb...she didn't have an epidural or anything...she's a superstar!

I haven't had one myself but I have seen one (undiagnosed) our stupid hospital doesn't permit elective breech vaginal births which is sad. Now because of this alot of hospitals aren't experienced in delivering vaginal breech babies and thats where alot of your problems arise is from the lack of experience delivering them. Years ago it was very common women didn't have elective C/S for breech and the staff (dr's and midwifes) were experienced in delivering breech bubs. Provided you deliver at a hospital who are experienced with vaginal breeches or have a home birth with a midwife who has previous experience you should be fine.

The reason for the change in practice was a 2000 study of breech delivery risks which indicated significant risks to mother and baby. Unfortunately this large, multicentre, multi-country study was badly flawed and the data inappropriately skewed. There is (apparently) new research in progress attempting to prove that vaginal breech delivery with appropriately trained staff is a safe option. It will take a while but unfortunately the damage is done and in our litigious society it is unlikely that vaginal breech delivery will become commonplace again. Not to mention the generation of lost skills.

As for the vaginal breech birth - we attempted with DS. We got to 7cm before he went into distress and we headed for an emergency c-section. His head was stuck between my anterior placenta and my rib cage. My OB is very supportive of informed decision regarding breech delivery and was even prepared to support me in a breech VBAC if needed. DD decided to turn though Any questions I am happy to answer - although I am not a successful breech delivery. There are a few vaginal breech deliveries on BB.