Thread: can I help my baby to engage????

Default can I help my baby to engage????

Hi, I desperately want a VBAC when it comes time to have bub #2.
    My OB has told me that she is open to the idea of me trying a VBAC but she has said that I'll probably need another caesar as DD's head hadn't engaged by 38 weeks and OB seems to think that this was an indication that my pelvis will probably prevent bub #2 from engaging too.
    My caesar was under a general anaesthetic and I found it traumatic and unnatural. Is there anything that I could do to help encourage my next babys head to engage if it doesn't do so on its own????

Charli... a lot of babies actually don't engage until you go into labour. I am not sure how you can encourage bubs to engage but you can certainly do things to encourage bubs in the right direction. Things like rocking back and forward on all fours.. stand leaning your arms on kitchen bench and tilt pelvis in and out. Sitting on those big gym balls.. ummm stairs I think help and some walking. That's what I can think of at the moment. I hope this helps and I hope you get your VBAC. When are you due?
    Last edited by Ozziehoffy; February 5th, 2008 at 05:28 PM.

The spinning babies website is really helpful on optimal positions for baby.

And just some encouragement for you- a friend of mine was told exactly the same thing and she went on to have a wonderful VBAC! She was booked in for her C/S & everything, but her bub had other ideas and she went into labour naturally.

All the best

Hey Girls,

thanks so much for your replies.

Ozziehoffy, I'm not actually pregnant again yet. Probably start TTC in about 6 months time. DD is only 4 months old Just getting in early with trying to work out my options etc as I really do not want a repeat of last time.
    Yeah, I had heard that sometimes bubs head doesnt engage til the last minute - especially with second pregnancies, so I hope my OB will let me go a bit over 40 weeks just to see.

Sneakysparkle, I'll have to check out that website. Thanks so much for telling me about your friends positive VBAC experience. I sooo hope that happens to me

Tamara