Thread: Does breech = automatic c/s?

Default Does breech = automatic c/s?

I mentioned to the midwife last night at the class that the OB said bubby was breech last visit. She said not to worry coz there's still time for him to turn around, but she said if he's still breech around 35/36wks the dr will probably tentatively book me in for a c/s. Do they not even let you attempt a breech vaginal birth anymore? I sooooo don't want a c/s if I can help it.

Hi Ivana_baby

There are not many OB's left who will do a vaginal birth for a breech baby.Most of them now opt for a C/S. But dont stress yet, there is still time for your baby to turn

Generally as a rule they don't anymore. There can be associated risks with birthing a breech baby, not only to the baby, but you as well. I think there may be a few Doc's who would attempt it (i know of women having twins who have delivered breech bubs), but I don't think any would do it if they knew bubs was breech. When I had Paige a woman had her boy 4days earlier by c/s as 1/2 way thru labour they discovered bubs was breech and they couldn't deliver him. Your baby has plenty of time to turn around and get ready. But it is wise to tentatively book a c/s just to err on the side of caution. Bit of trivia for you, my Dh was born feet first, but they had no idea until he was born (i don't think there was much they could do about it then anyway). Just think positive thoughts and if it comes down to the wire, your Ob will probably try and turn the baby before resorting to a c/s

Thanks guys. Shannon - I spotted that resources link before posting, so will be checking out all those links later today on how to turn bubs etc.

I have a gut feeling that bubby is swapping positions all the time. As I'm getting strong kicks in all kinds of places!! I've tried the belly mapping thing, but when you get strong kicks in all 4 quadrants it's a little hard to tell! hehe.

I will ask OB on Monday how he deals with it, whether he'd attempt to turn bubs first or just launch straight into a c/s.

Thanks again.