Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: hmm worried VBAC?

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Its very normal not to be engaged at 38 weeks - which could even actually be 37 or 36 if your dates are out. Even worse if they are as they can have breathing probs too.

Very sad scenario... but until women educate themselves and make themselves the experts and in control (not leave themseves to the mercy of the medical system) then this will happen

Sadly as a doula who works in hospitals I see bullying on a regular basis and women having to fight for very basic rights.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

SamanthaP Guest

I have been noticing a common theme recently here on BB in regards to VBAC's and due dates. Why are women being told if they don't have their baby by 40 weeks they need a c-section? I know there are risks with a chemical induction in women who are having a VBAC - I understand that. But then why not wait until full term ie., 42 weeks, and then decide on what course of action to take? It is so incredible that Dr's and midwives are saying that. What exactly are they scared will happen after the magical 40 weeks number has been reached? Uterine rupture? Is there any research to support this? Sirhokko, Alan, Schmickers is there any research which supports automatic second c-section after reaching 40 weeks gestation?
    No wonder the failed VBAC rate is so high and it's not the women who are failing incidentally, it's the system and women's choice in care providers who are letting them down.

Hi Tasha, like you my DS was born via an emergency CS (but under a general anasthetic) 21 months ago. I had my darling DD by VBAC 3 weeks ago and it was the best decision I've made in a while. My OB was fabulous and very supportive. She didn't want me to go too far over either but as my bub was engaged and my cervix soft at 38.5 weeks she was happy to let things run their course. I was due on the 14th and was booked in for a stretch and sweep for Thursday the 22 December, with an induction (via ARM only, no gel for the day after) but went into labour myself on the Tuesday night. Paisley was born at 12.02pm on Wednesday 21st.

It was a totally amazing experience, I got to see my Princess being born, got to have her on my chest within a few minutes (she needed some help and oxygen as her APGAR was only 5) and had our BF together very soon after.

I will admit it was hard work, in fact I didn't realise it would be so hard! I pushed for 2 hours and ended up with a forceps delivery as the little monkey was posterior and flexed her head the same as her big brother. My OB didn't panic though, she gave me time to try and push her out and then asked if she could try a manual turn with the forceps before we discussed going down the CS route again. The manual turn worked a treat and she arrived about 8 minutes later after 2 more contractions.

Keep focussed on what you want for your birth experience. Stay positive, do as much research on VBAC's as possible, be confident that you can acheive it and you will be just fine.

It is REALLY hard work but so worth every bit of sweat and pain.

P.S Having said all that please don't beat yourself up if you don't get the outcome you want. Having a healthy baby and healthy Mum is the most important thing. GOOD LUCK!

Samantha, I think you will find this is not just a theme on BB but also around the world. Not quite the phenomena here. We do have many pro-vbac women here and resources to point them to, but like anything, women will only do things in their own time and/or when something has happened to make them feel otherwise.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!

SamanthaP Guest

Of course I know it's around the world Kelly! I was just reflecting on the fact that I have read it on BB a lot recently in VBAC threads. I was hoping somebody could provide me with the rationale behind that line of thinking, or maybe ask their CP 'why'?

I think its what we already know, same old, same old. Women looking to Obs as experts of their bodies, women scared of facing mortality issues and threats - huge power disparity.

Oh and it is almost Christmas.
    Kelly xx

Quote Originally Posted by SamanthaP View Post
    Of course I know it's around the world Kelly! I was just reflecting on the fact that I have read it on BB a lot recently in VBAC threads. I was hoping somebody could provide me with the rationale behind that line of thinking, or maybe ask their CP 'why'?
    I think CP's are paranoid about going past 40wks with a vbac for the same reason they're paranoid about any other pregnancy going post dates - it's not so much the risk of rupture (though I'm sure that gets trotted out as an excuse as well), as the fact that 40 weeks have rolled by and so they start getting VERY antsy about placental deterioration.
    Rather than offer monitoring to check placental function if the mother wants it, the attitude is "well the baby is full term, no reason to wait anymore with this (perceived) increased risk hanging over our heads, so let's just get it out before something catastrophic happens".
    It all comes back to their basic MO - intervene to avoid possible complications, so you don't have to deal with real complications when they happen.
    Stupid logic but that's how they're trained and that's how they think.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12