Thread: How many VBAC'ers here on BB?

Member Name: Melanie
    Date of VBAC: 16/04/09
    I had a:VBA1C
    Baby's Weight: 3420g or 7lb 8oz
    Baby's Height: 54 cm
    Baby's Head Circ: 35.5cm
    Type of birth: Hospital birth
    Did you have extra support: My husband. He was fantastic!
    What information did you arm yourself with during pregnancy: everything I could find.
    What form of pain relief did you choose: gas
    What advice would you have for other VBAC'ers: Find a caregiver that you don't have to fight. It can be done in a private hospital, with an obstetrician. Have acupuncture, drink RLT, stay as fit as you can.

Member Name: BeautifulMadness
    Date of VBAC: 18/05/2009
    I had a: VBAC1
    Baby's Weight: 8lbs 3 oz (3780g)
    Baby's Height: 54cm
    Baby's Head Circ: 34.5
    Type of birth: Hospital birth at Werribee Mercy
    Did you have extra support: My fantastic hubby
    What information did you arm yourself with during pregnancy: lots of online research and asking others about their experiences
    What form of pain relief did you choose: pethidine and a bit of gas
    What advice would you have for other VBAC'ers: Ask lots of questions and trust you're body

Member Name:Ozziehoffy
    Date of VBAC:15/04/09
    I had a:VBAC2
    Baby's Weight:8 pound 4 oz - 3842 gms
    Baby's Height:51cm
    Baby's Head Circ:36cm
    Type of birth: Hospital Birth using Hypnobirthing
    Did you have extra support: nope, just DH - mind you the midwife I had at hossy was AMAZING!
    What information did you arm yourself with during pregnancy: Did a refresher Hypnobirthing course
    What form of pain relief did you choose:none
    What advice would you have for other VBAC'ers:Hypnobirthing is a wonderful way of letting go of any fears. Affirmations are fantastic ways to reconnect with your body and reminding yourself that your body is made to have babies.

Member Name: CathyS
    Date of VBAC: 31 May 2009
    I had a: VBA2C
    Baby's Weight: 8 pound 4 oz - 3.71kg
    Baby's Height: 55cm
    Baby's Head Circ: 36cm
    Type of birth: Hospital Birth using birthing ball, standing up next to bed while monitored, gave birth on bed leaning on bean bag.
    Did you have extra support: Wonderful Partner and excellent midwife!! She said to me as I was pushing her out "Let your body do what it wants to do". Excellent advice! I also backpedalled when I crowned. Allowed myself to stretch slowly, before pushing her head out.
    What information did you arm yourself with during pregnancy: Lot of research/reading/people's experiences.
    What form of pain relief did you choose: none
    What advice would you have for other VBAC'ers: Believe in your body! Don't let anyone try to force you into a c-section if it's NOT what you want! Just imagine getting up afterwards to shower straight after birth, and the pain is GONE! It's just beginning after you have a c-section! I drank raspberry leaf tea which I think gave me quite powerful contractions (painful, but quick and effective!). I inserted evening primrose oil capsules near the cervix the last 3 weeks or pregnancy to ripen the cervix (my baby arrived just hours after her due date!), and I used Epi-No from 37 weeks to stretch/train the perenium. I have NO TEARS! No stitches! (I did with my son's birth in 1999).

GOOD LUCK VBACERS! and BELIEVE IN YOURSELF!

Member Name:Bridg
    Date of VBAC:30/5/09
    I had a:VBAC
    Baby's Weight:8 pound 1 oz - 3660 gms
    Baby's Height: Dont know as they dont measure height at the hospital
    Baby's Head Circ:35cm
    Type of birth: Hospital Birth
    Did you have extra support: Yep, my beautiful Doula Tanya
    What information did you arm yourself with during pregnancy: Anything and everything I could
    What form of pain relief did you choose: Wanted an epi and peth but was too late
    What advice would you have for other VBAC'ers: Do ur research, Believe in urself and ur body.
    Last edited by Bridg; June 23rd, 2009 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Had to change my name

Member Name: SummerBelle
    Date of VBAC: 22 April, 2007
    I had a: VBAC1
    Baby's Weight: 3.73kg ? (8lb3oz)
    Baby's Height:53cm
    Baby's Head Circ:35
    Did you have extra support: Just Hubby!!
    What information did you arm yourself with during pregnancy: Just midwife suggestions, and some general advice from other mums.
    What form of pain relief did you choose: Epidural
    What advice would you have for other VBAC'ers: Avoid the epidural!! I almost ended up with another Caesar!!

Member name:brianna2
    date of VBAC:23 march 2009
    baby's weight: 3.25kg
    baby's height:54cm
    baby's head:35cm
    type of birth:assisted VBAC, vacume delivery at pushing stage
    did you have extra support: my husband and midwife were wonderful and i had a friend who was willing to step in if my husband couldn't be there.
    what information did you arm yourself during pregnancy:
    what form of pain relief did you use:gas as I was too far along when i got to hospital to have an epidural
    what advice would you have for other VBAC'ers: dont listen to horror stories,trust your body it knows what to do, if any worries or questions ask your midwife.
    Last edited by Brianna2; November 30th, 2009 at 03:06 PM.

Member Name: SummerBelle
    Date of VBAC: 03 August 2009
    I had a: VBAC2
    Baby's Weight: 7lb3oz
    Baby's Height:50.5cm
    Baby's Head Circ:35
    Did you have extra support: Just Hubby again!!
    What information did you arm yourself with during pregnancy: Juju Sundins "Birth Skills" with Sarah Murdoch.
    What form of pain relief did you choose: Absolutely nothing!!
    What advice would you have for other VBAC'ers: Once again I say "Avoid the epidural!!" I had a completely natural birth, and I felt so good straight away, and went home the next day. But it did hurt!!! But "Birth Skills" got me through it this time. highly recommend the book!!

I need to update my info because I just had another successful VBA2C, check out these stats!!! he's my biggest! 3 hour labour 6 mins pushing!

Member Name: Eternalbearco
    Date of VBAC: 19/08/2009
    I had a: VBAC2 x 2!!!
    Baby's Weight: 4670gms 10lb 5oz
    Baby's Height: 55cm
    Baby's Head Circ: 38cm
    Type of birth: Hospital birth at John Hunter Hospital Newcastle NSW
    Did you have extra support: Just my DP
    What information did you arm yourself with during pregnancy: BellyBelly of course, lots of online research. plus the backing of Dr Bisits the worlds most amazing OB
    What form of pain relief did you choose: TENS machine (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) and morphine
    What advice would you have for other VBAC'ers: Trust your body!

Member Name: Fleur
    Date of VBAC: 24th July 2009
    I had a: VBA1C
    Baby's Weight: 4770g or 10lb8
    Baby's Height: 54cm
    Baby's Head Circ: 37cm
    Did you have extra support: DH & a friend
    What information did you arm yourself with during pregnancy: A few books from the library & a lot of BB!
    What form of pain relief did you choose: Gas
    What advice would you have for other VBAC'ers: Read as much as you can, be informed, talk to your doctors, ask questions, let them know you want it. Keep an open mind towards your birth experience. Don't be scared

Member Name: *suz1*
    Date of VBAC: 27 November 2009 (at 38+2 weeks gestation)
    Baby's Weight: 3840g or 8 pounds 7 oz
    Baby's Height: 52cm
    Baby's Head Circ: 34cm
    Type of birth: Hospital Birth in main delivery suite attended by the birthing centre midwives who provided the team midwifery care for my pregnancy, Active Birth, followed hospital policy and had intermittent monitoring with a wireless machine and a cannula inserted as well as internal examinations every 4 hours.
    Did you have extra support: Just DH and the 3 midwives
    What information did you arm yourself with during pregnancy: BellyBelly of course! I read Birth Skills by Juju Sundin, Open Season by Nancy Wainer Cohen, listened to Gabrielle Targett's CDs A Labour of Love, many websites including ICAN, watched Caesareans and VBACs on utube.
    What form of pain relief did you choose: Hypnobirthing CD and breathing in early labour, then stress balls and walking, then vocalising and shower, heat packs on back and warm compress on perineum. Wanted to use the bath, but there was no time.
    What advice would you have for other VBAC'ers: Read, listen, prepare as much as you can. Write a birth plan, but cover all scenarios so you can be empowered no matter what mode your birth ends up taking. Birth in a place where you feel your wishes will be supported. Be prepared to look at your Caesarean in detail and process the emotions, grieve and get angry, then get confident because your body can do this and your scar is strong!

Member Name:
    Date of VBAC: I've had 3 vbacs: 10/07/06; 19/08/07 and 16/07/09
    Baby's Weight: They were all over 8 pound
    Baby's Height: sheesh - cant remember lol
    Baby's Head Circ: 35cm (from memory)
    Type of birth: 1st was a private hospital birth, 2nd birth centre, 3rd planned homebirth, but ended up in hospital due to me being sick.
    Did you have extra support: I had a doula at my 1st, she didnt make it to my 2nd - I birthed before she got there and I had a good friend at my 3rd.
    What information did you arm yourself with during pregnancy: Funnily enough with my first I was mainly armed with an inner knowledge that I could and would push a baby out my vagina on my terms. With my second I read Gentle Birth, Gentle Mothering and attended a wonderful VBAC support group, by the time number 3 arrived I had completed my doula course work and had more than a100% faith in my body and my baby to do their jobs.
    What form of pain relief did you choose: water and homeopathics
    What advice would you have for other VBAC'ers:
    Do your own resaearch
    do not believe everything you ob tells you
    IF you have an ob, make sure they are very, very vbac friendly (because true vbac friendly obs are very, very rare)
    birth at home
    birth with a doula
    trust your body and your baby
    babies are designed to come out you vagina
    You are a woman and you were made to birth!

Member Name: Kat
    Date of VBAC: 18/11/07
    I had a:HBA1C,
    Baby's Weight: 9lb 10oz
    Baby's Height: long
    Baby's Head Circ: huge (no I really don't know, 38cm???)
    Type of Pregnancy: I didn't do the usual tests or check-ups, or pee on a stick. Except I did 'cheat' for a sanity card and did an u/s at a completely useless time when it would show nothing important like 33 weeks or something. Never showed it to dr or midwife, it was there for purposes of putting off other people if something did go wrong.
    Type of birth: Homebirth
    Did you have extra support: lay midwife, husband with HOT towels.
    What information did you arm yourself with during pregnancy: everything I could. Emergency childbirth? The Pink Kit, Birthing from within. Anything I could that eased my mind e.g. info on tests, self-knowledge that I was a woman so birth was normal, stats about actual likelihood of complications as compared to fear factors.

What form of pain relief did you choose: HOT TOWELS!
    What advice would you have for other VBAC'ers: stay home. babies come out of vaginas if you let them.

Member Name: Jackrose
    Date of VBAC: 10/5/10
    Baby's Weight: 3.6kg/8lb
    Baby's Height: 50cm
    Baby's Head Circ: 34cm
    Type of birth: Homebirth/Waterbirth
    Did you have extra support: 2 x Private Midwife, DH and friend
    What information did you arm yourself with during pregnancy:
    • Learnt about the importance of Optimal Fetal Positioning
    • Attended Di Diddle's Birth Class
    • Attended Midwifes Naturally information sessions
    • Watched countless homebirth videos
    • Watched the business of being born
    • Researched intervention rates at various hospitals
    • Read countless birth stories
    • Visited VBAC sections of this forum
    • Read lots of books!
    • The thinking woman's guide to better birth
    • Birthing from within
    • Ina May's Guide to Childbirth
    • Spiritual Midwifery
    • Silent Knife
    • Active Birth
    • Men at Birth
    • Gentle Birth, Gentle Mothering

15. What form of pain relief did you choose: Birth pool at pushing stage

What advice would you have for other VBAC'ers:
    • Knowledge is power!
    • Read and get informed about what led to the original c/s (get a hold of your notes) and read about what the human body is capable of when left to its own devices.
    • Find a birth support team who really believe in you and know what they are doing
    • Find a Midwife or Ob who has good statistics for birthing without intervention
    • have faith in your body and your innate ability to birth your baby
    • have a goal or a focus - mine was looking my baby in the eye as they were born, looking into those gorgeous big black newborn baby eyes *swoon*
Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Member Name: Arimeh
    Date of VBAC: 28/11/09
    I had a: VBA2C
    Baby's Weight: 8 pound 10 oz.
    Baby's Height: 51/52cm? Can't remember
    Baby's Head Circ: 36.5cm
    Type of Pregnancy: OB supported pregnancy until 28 weeks when moved states. Went to independent birth centre and had home visits until time of birth. highly recommend!
    Type of birth: Independent birth centre - ie, not attached to a hospital.
    Did you have extra support: Main midwife, and back up midwife at time of pushing. DH for support.
    What information did you arm yourself with during pregnancy: Hmmm I read a LOT more books this time round (had a failed VBAC first time). Um read silent knife, spiritual midwifery, umm birth skills, a couple of other birthing books, watched births on you tube, and read HEAPS of birth stories here.
    What form of pain relief did you choose: None - unless screaming it out counts.
    What advice would you have for other VBAC'ers: Have faith in yourself. We were born to birth babies. Women have been doing it for centuries, what makes you think you can't?

Member Name: Heaven
    Date of VBAC: February 2011
    I had a: VBAC
    Baby's Weight: 3880g (8lb 9oz)
    Baby's Height: 51cm
    Baby's Head Circ: 34.5
    Type of birth: Hospital Birth, Active Birth
    Did you have extra support: Student Midwife/Doula
    What information did you arm yourself with during pregnancy: Read lots of books! Silent Knife, Juju Sundin's Birth Skills, New Active Birth, Ina May's Guide to Childbirth. Also read lots of research online about VBAC, I particularly liked The Aus VBAC Study 2010
    What form of pain relief did you choose: Tens Machine, Breathing techniques, Shower.
    What advice would you have for other VBAC'ers: Do your research, know that VBAC is safe and that you can do it! Read as much as you can, trust your body. Don't accept any unnecessary interventions.

Member Name: lisabear
    Date of VBAC: 15.1.2010
    Baby's Weight:8 pound 10 ounce
    Baby's Head Circ: ooh I'll have to check
    Type of birth: Hospital birth.
    Did you have any support: midwife. Dp
    What information did you arm yourself with during pregnancy: not really alot. Spoke to midwife. ReAd a few things but didn't want to get caught up in the scariness...
    What form of pain relief did you choose: gas
    What advice would you have :trust in yourself and those who you have with you.

Member Name: Yeddi
    Date of VBAC: 01 Sep 2010
    Baby's Weight: 4.3kg or 9.5 pounds
    Baby's Head Circ: 35cm
    Type of birth: Hospital Birth Hypnobirth, Active Birth
    Did you have extra support: Doula
    What information did you arm yourself with during pregnancy: I looked up every VBAC study I could get my hands on (the original ones that everyone references) to read for myself, I read birth stories, watched birth videos and learnt about birth in general.
    What form of pain relief did you choose: I got two lots of the saline injections, tried the gas but it made me sick so only had two puffs, and ended up having an epidural at hour 34.
    What advice would you have for other VBAC'ers: Empower yourself, don't be afraid to do what you have to do (including taking pain medication if needed and are informed of when is or isn't the right time to take it) in order to keep progressing and have your baby vaginally.

• Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast