Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If you were to rupture, when would it happen?

I just wanted to add to what all have said...

Rupture can occur during any pregnancy at any time or during labour. It can happen in a first pregnancy, subsequent, vbac's or ecs. And no, uterine wall thickness is no indicator of chance of rupture, they measure a small segment and the uterus expands unevenly and stretches further or less in certain places.

A recent vbac study compares ALL pregnancies inc. vbac and discusses rupture and dehisences (which are often bundled together in stats) I have not found a freely available copy, unless you have a subscription to Science Direct or similar but I do have a pdf copy if you would like me to email it to you.

It is called A New Perspective on VBAC, let me know if you would like it.

Sarah

to you Heaven.

I think what stopped me from stressing about rupturing (at least until she was pressed against my pelvic bone and I thought I was rupturing!) was knowing the signs of rupture in the first place. Most ruptures (from my reading) come with warning signs, so its not like your tummy just explodes or something without you knowing about it

I was told to look out for any abnormal bleeding between contractions, and pain between contractions. I'm sure you remember from your first labour that you feel no pain between contractions, so as long as you still have that, I think you are pretty safe

Its a big ride you're going on - but that doesn't mean you can't do it

Thanks everyone. My fav stat is that the risk is the same as that for a first time mum induced with the drip. No one bothered to tell me about that risk when they gave me the drip with DD so they musn't have thought it was a high risk huh? But apparently they have to put all these restrictions on VBAC mum's, grr...

I am going to get a copy of 'Silent Knife' heard it's good.

studentmum- thanks, I will PM you my email.

Mel- I remember having no pain in b/w contractions. But I remember too that when I had a contraction all the pain was down low like where my scar is, so I hope that doesn't freak me out! lol.
    Last edited by Heaven; September 23rd, 2010 at 04:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Heaven View Post
    Thanks everyone. My fav stat is that the risk is the same as that for a first time mum induced with the risk. No one bothered to tell me about that risk when they gave me the drip with DD so they musn't have thought it was a high risk huh? But apparently they have to put all these restrictions on VBAC mum's, grr...
    Defies logic, doesn't it?
    I'm actually quite mad that I was subjected to that risk for no good reason, especially knowing the OB in question would not have supported a VBAC if I'd ended up with a c/s.

Good luck with your VBAC, by the way. Good birthing to you and your baby!

Another question!!

When I had my OB appt she told me I wouldn't be able to have a long labour like with DD, they want me to dilate quickly (sure thing! no problem ) because it increases the risk of rupture the longer labour goes on because your uterus gets tired. Is this true? Is there any research to support this?? How does the muscle getting tired mean the scar is weaker??

Heaven - personally - I think its a bit of an old wives tale - same as the big baby theory will rupture your uterus

Oh yeah she also suggested I have a scan to see if the baby is too big and decide on a c/s, or if I haven't gone into labour before my due date to have a c/s, pmsl, I almost laughed at her.

Ahhh gotta love these care providers that say that are pro VBAC, but are soooo full of restrictions that its ridiculous. Just be happy in what your own research digs up as opposed to a worried OB not willing to take risks.

It just occurred to me...if I have a long labour she said we may need to speed things up with the drip, which increases the rupture risk by 50% Sooo.......she is willing to increase the chance of rupture with the drip instead of letting it happen naturally and most likely not increasing the chances at all, wtf??

Bizarre.

I am just going to stay home as long as possible so they can't say how long I've been in labour and refuse internals so they can't tell me I'm too slow. PITA!!

Yes I think its ridiculous she suggested the drip to speed things up. How about letting you relax without restrictions and worries - that will make it happen quicker for you than any drug. Not to mention the risk that it carries - my god - I would never even think about being given the drip to speed things up, thats just playing with fire I reckon.

I say your idea to stay at home sounds great. Are you getting a doula?

I don't have a doula but I have a student midwife, Sara from BB! Who is also a qualified doula aswell, lucky me!

Awesome, you're in good hands then.

Have you read any VBAC stuff yet? I've got heaps of books coming to prepare for my second one. Mostly focusing on pain relief and how to do it calmly - ie, without screaming.. LOL

I've read Juju's birth skills, and now I'm on to Ina May's Guide to Childbirth, and then I want to read silent knife. Any suggestions for me??

LOL, I was actually all silent mostly with DD except when I had a premature urge to push and was making some odd noises, lol. This time Juju is telling me to yell!! lol.

Heaven - are you having bub at a public or private hospital? Because you've had a previous CS, do you need to see an OB? is that why?

Haha I yelled and screamed when appropriate.. LOL.. not during the pushing stage though for some reason? My old midwife from Selangor always said "open mouth, open vagina".. haha!!

I read silent knife, spiritual midwifery, um another book that the name escapes my mind but it was about home births, birth skills.. and a few breastfeeding books. That was for last time.

Now this time, I'll read spiritual midwifery again, I've got books on their way from the UK - Ina May's Guide to Childbirth is one of them, New Active Birth and Birthing from Within. I am also in the middle of The Water Birth Book that one of the lovely BB ladies let me borrow from her.

So I *think* I'm covered with reading material.... of course I'll do a refresher with Juju and read her book again, and I'll be getting DH to read some stuff this time too. Dunno how we will get time for all this, but I'm sure we will make time!!!

Also am going to do a hypnobirthing class if we make it up to queensland

ETA - Shanti - because of previous c-sections, we are classed as high risk and will always need to see an OB if we go public

Shanti- public but everyone has to see an OB for 1 appt at the start. And apparently I have to see them again at 36wks to discuss method of delivery

Mel- thanks for that!! pmsl, open mouth, open vagina, I'll remember that one!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12