Thread: internal classical c section

Default internal classical c section

HI

I had an internal classical last year with the birth of my twins, goldie and astrid (20/11/2007. The surgeon at the time told me I wouldnt be able to have a vaginal birth for any further pregnancys as there was too much of a risk of rupture. Just wanted to get any feed back from anyone who has had a classical c section, is this definately the case?

(I had originally planned a home birth but then i found out i was having twins and then there were a lot of complications and told they were not going to make it. But we ended up getting to 27 weeks and 3 days, but the girls were very small, goldie 515 grams and astrid 960 grams and it was very stressful and traumatic- both seem to be doing ok now but have to wait and see)

Just wanted to get any feed back on anyone who has had a classical c section, is this definately the case?

From all the literature I have read in preparing myself for my own VBAC, everything that I have read says that the OB's will not let you try for a VBAC if you have the classical incision c-section.
    Sorry! Hopefully someone else pops in here with more positive news...

hi gudism

thanks so much for your reply. i thought its prob v unlikely that you could have a natural birth after classical but just wanted to find out if that was definately the case.
    cheers and goodluck with the birth of your bub. hope all goes well

Mel is right unfortunately. The rupture rate is around 1% for a "bikini cut" but over around 5%for a classical cut. No guarantee it will rupture - you still have a 95% chance it won't, but you will probably find it tough to find any hospitals willing to let you try.
    Good luck and let us know how you go.

Thanks 76stars
    would you be able to tell me where i might get info about classical csections? I'm not pregnant and not planning for a couple of years as ive got twins that are 7 1/2 months Or 4 1/2 mths corrected. But interested in finding out if it was poss.

paradise lost Guest

The problem will be finding a care provider, but there's nothing to stop you trying! Ask around, call Obs offices, meet with Obs. Educate yourself as MUCH as possible and know your facts. If you concentrate on Obs who are known for being very pro VBAC and vaginal-breech you might just find someone who will help you.

One of the biggest problems with the classical incision scars is that there is scant evidence for how well they cope with labour. There have not been many studies. The one always quoted in America found a 6-11% risk of rupture with the classical scar or J-shaped scar (which had the highest rupture rate) BUT MANY of those women were INDUCED. Even a first time mum (no scar at all) has a 1% risk of rupture during a medical induction! So the study is undoubtedly flawed. Without evidence that it will be safe, Obs are reluctant to risk their liability insurance.

But bear in mind that in the late 70's NO ONE was allowed to VBAC for exactly the same reason - it was thought too dangerous and there wasn't any evidence around to check if it really was. And 30 years later the party line is that everyone with a low transverse scar should be allowed to try VBAC, so don't lose hope - in the 80's lots of women had to "risk it" for us to now know it's pretty safe.

Do your research, ask around, you might be surprised at what you can make happen

Bx

ETA - google "VBAC classical incision article" for more info, read anything and everything - even if it reports higher risks, look at HOW the study was conducted and the numbers involved - 10 women being induced is not going to be as reliable as 3000 women labouring spontaneously in terms of safety.
    Last edited by paradise lost; July 9th, 2008 at 07:57 PM.

Thanks so much for your reply hoobley. Would you be able to recommend any literature, books or websites about this, if possible?

paradise lost Guest

To start off i'd get the book "Silent Knife" by Nancy Wainer Cohen and Lois J Estner. Also go to VBAC.com - a woman-centered, evidence based, resource. and read read read.

There is a heap of info out there about VBAC's hun - lots of articles online, I can't pm you the links unfortunately but will post this one that I posted the other day HERE that answers alot of questions. I have googled and found stacks of info too so definately do your research because there is alot out there that can help. Sorry if I came across as negative - Bx is right, read read read, trust your body and when you get pg - there are lots of ways around it if you want to pursue a VBAC. There is support here and elsewhere, and at the end of the day it is your body and your choice how you want to birth your baby. Good luck!