Thread: Partner concerned about size of baby with VBAC2...anyone birth a big baby (over 8lb)?

Default Partner concerned about size of baby with VBAC2...anyone birth a big baby (over 8lb)?

My partner has been very supportive of my decision to vba2c so far. (I've had 2 breech girls delivered by c-section and a vbac inbetween..3050gm boy).

My last baby Laura was 4020gms, and a lot heavier than my son (my vbac). Should I be at all concerned about the size of the baby (this baby being likely to be a similar weight I would think). My partner is a little concerned about the size of the baby rupturing my scar. I am still determined to have a vbac2. I just wondered if there are any VBACers on here that had big babies?

Smile Hi

I don't know what everyone's abreviations are but I have 3 kids.
    Two daughters 5 & 3 and a new son born 25th Jan this year and both my 3yr old and son were 8lb plus.
    Shahni was 8lb 1oz and my little boy was 8lb 8oz with extremely quick labours and had neither grazing or tearing yet I had grazings with my first daughter who was 7lb 3oz!

It is all up to your personal decision but I would rather tear while having a normal birth than have the scar of a ceaser.

Regards,

Alice

Quote Originally Posted by CathyS View Post
    My partner is a little concerned about the size of the baby rupturing my scar.
    I really don`t think the size of your baby has anything to do whether your scar will rupture or not, don`t quote me on that but I don`t think size influences rupture.

My VBAC bub was 4.2kg.

Good luck with your decision.

Hi Alice,

VBAC stands for Vaginal Birth After Caesarean; VBA2C stands for a vaginal birth after 2 caesareans. So the issues isn't so much with tearing as with concerns about rupturing the scar.

Cathy, I am not aware of any research that has examined the risks associated with a scar rupture and tried to relate them to the birth weight of the baby. In fact, the risk of a dehiscence (scar separation) is so slight that I don't think you'd find enough ruptures out there to compare properly anyway. And the other problem is that every baby is different; even the best estimates we can make about the size of a baby based on ultrasounds have a high degree of error.

Given that you've already had one succesful VBAC, then I'd be inclined to try again.
    Last edited by Schmickers; March 30th, 2009 at 05:26 PM.

9lb 12 oz (4.432 kg) was my DS (my VBAC). And it was fine. DD was 9lb 1 oz (4.110 kg) and they told me her size was the reason for her needing to be born via c/s. I disproved that for sure

Like Michael the fact that you've already had a VBAC says to me you should be fine

To quote Yoda "Size Matters Not"

Thanks everyone! I am still determined to go ahead with my vba2c. I feel positive that my body can do it! It's nice to hear other's personal experiences though.

hi,
    i had a vba2c and my son was 4120 or 9pd 1oz.
    good luck!

That's awesome Julie!!

I just found out today at my midwife appt that baby has turned breech! ARghhhh. I am gonna have to try everything to get her to move back. Least she has a few weeks yet.

get that baby moving cathy!
    Check out the spinning babies website I'm sure they should have some info there. Also where are you located my ob does manual turning of baby in breech positions (he see's women to try and turn baby even if they arn't going to birth with him) He also does breech births and VBAC breech births. So if you are in melbourne it might be worth seeing if he can have a try at turning bubs. I've heard that he has quite a nack for it!
    Jules

I have checked out the spinning babies website. And I will try what I can to move this little girl (though I tried everything with Laura and she wouldn't budge! ). I'm quite depressed over it, but I will try what I can!!

I am beginning to wonder if my uterus is just predisposed to having breech babies. 3 out of 4 now!! What the!??!? And yet it's supposed to be 4% of all babies or something? Sigh.

I am not keen to have a breech birth as big heads run in my family and my last baby was 8lb 12oz. I just worry about that head getting stuck.

I had a VBAC with my second daughter in October last year.

12lb 11oz (5760g), drug free and the biggest baby born at the hospital last year.

I hope your little one turns for you, and all the best.

Baby girl has turned! I'm so excited now! And I'm not worried about the size, thanks to all the great replies.

Oh WOW! CONGRATS!!

what a good bubba!

Cathy, that's fantastic news!!

I just had my second VBAC bub last week and he was 8 pound 4 I hope you have a great birth!!

That's awesome!! Congrats on the birth of your baby boy!! Which hospital did you have him?

Quinn was my VBA2C and he was my smallest at 3980gms. My GD has come on earlier this time so I am going to have to be VERY careful to keep the baby's weight down

Laura was 4020gms. I feel like this baby is a bit smaller..but it could be the way my belly looks this time...breech babies always make you look big up top. My partner says he could rest a beer on top of my belly last time lol.

Did they monitor you a lot with the VBA2C? I am told that I will be given a canulla in the arm and continuous monitoring. I got out of this last time by telling them I needed to use the toilet lol.

Cathy, I had both my last 2 at Caboolture hospital and they really were very supportive.

I had a canula and monitoring. I did tell them if all was ok that I didn't want continuous monitoring and they were ok with that but once my waters broke she wanted to check again and I actually didn't want to walk around or anything and was happiest on the bed so I was fine with them just leaving it on. I didn't have to stay on my back or in any one position so I didn't mind. The canula I decided was more of a "pick my battles" if that makes sense. Kept them happy and wasn't really a biggie as far as things go. Did hurt a little at times but other than that I wouldn't have known it was there.