Thread: perthies talk me into going to king edward!!

Default perthies talk me into going to king edward!!

hi everyone. I'm from perth. i had an emergency c section with my first child for a number of reasons. these were, calcifying placenta, baby had not descended into my pelvis, contractions were frequent and strong and the baby was in fetal distress. i understand that none of these really indicate that there is no reason i cant give birth naturally but i had my son at bentley hospital and they were incredible! i have nothing bad to say about that hospital. however i can only go there for this birth if i choose to elect another caesarean. if i choose to go VBAC i have to go to king edward hospital. im scared to go there as people who i known who went there have all vowed never to go back. my mum had my sister there and that was ok, she had me at bentley so that says something, they also botched her hysterectomy. a friends baby was almost overdosed (adrenal/kidney problems)in the neonatal ward by a tired overworked nurse and ive eaten the food there, its awful. Plus i dont like the hospital in general. its creepy and so old. other people ive heard from they didnt like the staff, the food nor the place or location. but i know its the safest place if anything goes wrong (god forbid).

i really want to try and go natural (i had the dream and perfect plans of an at home or water birth for my 1st but that went down the drain) but i am petrified of this hospital. also i want to be left to do my own thing with my baby which i know bentley supports, but im not sure about king edward.

can anyone please talk me into going or at least share their stories at king eddies? im 23 so i need some persuading. lol

I had my DD at KEMH nov 06 and i no troubles with anything, everyone i had was lovely(besides one midwife wouldnt help me with BF but she was just a b!#ch) i had to stay in the adults care for one night as i lost alot of blood and they thought i was going to need a blodd trasfusion..DD was with me the whole time and i was able to do my own thing and when i needed help with anything they were there in a tic...

through labour i was never once left alone always at least one midwife was with me and did anything i asked. never pushed drugs on me or anything i didnt want to do.
    my SIL bub came early and had to stay down in the neonatel ward and they were so pleased with everything.

im going back again this time, it does look old and not very attractive from the outside but the room are nice and i was lucky enough to get a room on my own and it was great.

goodluck i hope u get ur VBAC!

A friend had her bubby at KE and she said it was great. I went to the emergency department there with my last miscarriage and found the staff to be incredibly supportive and helpful.

I had my DD at SJOG in Subiaco. Supposedly one of the best maternity hospitals in the country and while the midwives on the delivery ward were amazing, incredible, wonderful women, the midwives on the maternity ward were far from that.

I think it really doesn't matter where you go - there are going to be cr*ppy staff everywhere. As for the near overdose, that's tragic and I'm not down playing it but you have to bear in mind that this is THE hospital for sick bubbies so if mistakes are going to happen, its more likely to happen there. The negative press the hospital got recently is a bit unfortunate in that they didn't balance that out.

If you want your VBAC, I'd be going to KEMH. Just get your hubby to bring you some decent food!!

thanks for ur insight ladies. do u think that they would let me request midwives? my best friend is a nurse and i was wondering if u think the hospital would let her be there for it assisting?? it something i really want and i know she'd be honoured to do but im not sure they'd allow it. plus its a good experience 4 her cuz she just graduated from uni (bless her!!)

Default jess

hope it all going well i would surrgest hiring a doula king eddy can be very medical and push things on to you. pm me if you need any more details

Tia - I doubt they would let your friend assist in a professional sense - huge legal issues with that. They wouldn't have any problem with her being there in a support role though I'm sure.