Thread: Positive Stories of VBAC

Default Positive Stories of VBAC

As my due date approaches I am starting to get nervous about my very much wanted VBAC. 2 girls at playgroup have had their babies in the last 3 weeks and both by repeat CS (elective) and are surprised that I'm not following the same path.

So, I'm hoping that some of you wonderful ladies might like to share some some positive success stories to boost my confidence.

What would you particularly recommend?
    What would you do differently?
    What is essential in your opinion to a successful VBAC?
    What not to do?

Anything really.......

Get yourself a Doula! they are worth their weight in gold in supporting Mums through birth - particularly when a little extra support and encouragement is needed. There are quite a few mums on here who have had successful VBAC's - Niliac (Cailin), Christy, and *Linda* to name a few.

What would you particularly recommend? Birth support, Birth support, Birth support. I had a good friend who is a midwife there with us. It was life saving for DH & for me. Amazing strength & ability to help us get through it.
    What would you do differently? I think for me, nothing.... maybe have a homebirth?
    What is essential in your opinion to a successful VBAC? Support and information, reading books about it & gathering heaps of information, so that when I was offered something & didn't want it I wasn't able to be swayed. (although I didn't talk with the midwives at all,my birth support did everything.
    What not to do? Let yourself be questioned, let your plans be put on hold because of policy.

Goodluck! You can do it! Have a read on the main website for my birth story. It was an amazing and empowering experience.

What would you particularly recommend? Make sure your birth support are 100% with you. I had a doula and I think it made a difference, not only for me, but for my husband. Also research, reading. Questioning Drs if you need to.
    What would you do differently? Nothing, my VBAC was a wounderful experience all 36hrs and vacume delivery of it.
    What is essential in your opinion to a successful VBAC? Believing in yourself and only positive thinking.
    What not to do? Negative thinking, being pushed into something your not comfortable with.

I wish you the best of luck, stay strong in the final weeks.

What would you particularly recommend? I agree, birth support. And really believing in yourself that you can do it.
    What would you do differently? Nothing.
    What is essential in your opinion to a successful VBAC? Good support, a strong desire to achieve it.
    What not to do? Give in if they tell you to have an elective C/S etc...

My story is in the birth stories section too.

Good luck!!!

What would you particularly recommend? Great support, and information. Fill yourself on as much information as you can cope with. Information is power.

What would you do differently? For me, I would do nothing differently. My VBAC was just what I wanted it to be (apart from quicker )

What is essential in your opinion to a successful VBAC? I think this question is pretty much the same as the first. Back up and support, a good advocate for you if you don't think your DH will be able to do it.

What not to do? Don't let yourself be seconded guessed. If there is something you don't like or want, let them know. Don't be pushed over, stand up for yourself and your baby.

Goodluck, I'm sure all will go fine. Now get any negative thoughts out of your head and prepare yourself for an awesome birthing experience

What would you particularly recommend? Birth Support, Calm Birthing, Arm yourself with LOTS of information.
    What would you do differently? Nothing. It was an awesome experience.
    What is essential in your opinion to a successful VBAC? Good support, confidence, a relaxing birth environment and an active birth as well as ensuring Optimum Fetal Positioning.
    What not to do? Stress, your body knows what to do.

mummyd Guest

Default VBAC questions

All the very best for your exciting upcoming birth! There is a lot of emotion and sometimes fear related to a VBAC, but you are lucky that you are able to give your second baby the same birth opportunity that you gave your first. That helped me.

The only thing I wish I could have done a little different is been able to talk to someone, whenever I needed, especially towards the end of the pregnancy. I too had friends going to hospital for a C/S birth, and boasting how wonderful it was. I wondered why I was putting myself through it all again! I unfortunately did not know then of the role of a Doula. I am now a Doula myself! I had a great midwife, but she was extremelly busy and I didn't want to bother her. Soooo - I would definately have a Doula!

What would you particularly recommend? Visualisations and reassurance
    What is essential in your opinion to a successful VBAC? Faith in your body's ability to produce life! Remebering you are doing the best for you, your baby, and your other child as well!
    What not to do? focus on the negative. Enjoy the process!

I wish you all the very best for your special life changing moment!

Well, i haven't had a VBAC yet, but its what i'm planning on this time around.
    I didn't know or understand how much i was missing out on by having c-sections. my first was emergency the second elective.
    I attended two births recently (the first two i had ever been to), my best friends and my sister in laws. As i watched them go through the labour i didn't think much of what was happening only that they were heroic for dealing with all the pain. But then when the babies came out and everyone was so happy... but not just everyone else in the room.. the mothers were really happy too. I thought.. well i never really had that, it was just like "Your baby's born".... "Yup thanks". And then afterward i was bedridden for a couple of days so i couldn't even hold my babies properly at first which really sux for bonding. It hurt to roll over onto my side or sit up just to feed them, and then when i got home (still on painkillers) i couldn't properly deal with my 1st DS like change his nappy or pick him up for cuddles. One of the first things we did after getting out of hospital was to claim the baby bonus and go out to spend it which should have been a fun thing to do.. go buy baby things and stuff, but i had to sit down every 5 minutes because i was either in pain or dizzy from the pain killers or just plain out of breath. So basically the first few weeks weren't very fun when they should have been.
    I want so badly this time around to be able to walk out of hospital the next day cuddling baby and carry him home myself and for my other two to jump all over me without me screeching at my husband to get them off because i'm in agony. I want to be able to go out and buy a whole nursery of baby stuff and be able to have baby in a sling cuddled up to my chest without doubling over, and most of all i want to be able to have the joy straight after giving birth knowing i did it and giving my baby a proper welcome into the world into loving, non-surgical arms
    Its not exactly a success story but its my motivation for what i'm doing, i hope it helps inspire you too.

Also i dont think you're allowed to post up links on these forums so i wont but i did a google search for VBAC and came up with 1 or 2 really good sites that are all about success stories and experiences, so you may want to do that too.

Hi,
    I just wanted to respond even though you might have already had the baby. I read this post coming up to my VBAC.

What would you particularly recommend? Relaxing and not getting worked up about people not understanding why you want to do it your way.
    What would you do differently? Not stress about things that I had no control over.
    What is essential in your opinion to a successful VBAC? Same as for the first question. Try to let go of all frustration about what other people think and just relax and realise that your body will know what to do. When they were saying don't be scared of pushing and I said that my body wasn't telling me to push, they checked and I still had a lip of cervix blocking the way. Your body will generally know best.
    What not to do? I stayed at home for as long as was comfortable and when I got to the hospital, I was already 7cms dilated. Don't panic, but don't expect it to be easy. It is hard work, but definitely worth it.

Good luck and I hope you get the beautiful birth you are after.